Congratulations! Welcome to the University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON).
Now there are just a few more steps to complete before you start classes.
Note that the information below does not apply to PhD students, who should follow these PhD-specific instructions from the Graduate School.
To confirm your seat, you must submit the following within two weeks of your dated acceptance letter:
- a non-refundable $400 payment to reserve you seat which can be applied to your tuition upon enrollment (not required for PhD or Coursework Only students)
- click here to submit your deposit
- be sure to save your receipt for your records and to submit your confirmation form
- a confirmation form
- click here to fill out the confirmation form
- you'll be asked to attach a copy of your tuition deposit payment (if applicable)
You will receive notice from email@example.com at the personal email we have on file when it's time to set up your:
- UMID: This unique username will be used for logging into all of our student support systems (e.g., Blackboard, SURFS).
- Email: After your UMID and password is set up, you'll receive another email with instructions on how to set up your campus email (@umaryland.edu email). From that point on, this is the only official way UMSON will relay important information to you electronically.
Be sure to write down your password and store it for future use!
You will also need to comply with our laptop requirement effective for students entering in fall 2019 or later.
Effective fall 2019, you will be required to have a laptop that meets UMSON’s minimum technology requirements (see laptop minimum specifications) and can be brought to class for use in classroom assignments. If you need to purchase a laptop, the cost may be included with your financial aid cost of attendance package because it is a program requirement.
Review your financial aid package:
- This can be found via the Student User Friendly System (SURFS).
- Log-in information and step-by-step directions are here.
If you haven’t already done so, complete:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): It’s free and is necessary to qualify for any need-based financial aid packages (i.e., grants, loans, and scholarships).
- Application for In-State Classification: This form is necessary if you wish to be considered for in-state classification.
- Student Health Insurance Options and Waiver: Select a health insurance plan or opt out with the health insurance waiver form.
See class registration information for:
- students enrolled at UMSON Baltimore and/or online
- students enrolled at the Universities at Shady Grove.
Educational Support and Disability Services: If you need to request academic accommodation for a disability, please contact the UMB Office of Educational Support and Disability Services at 410-706-5889 well in advance of the start of the semester. Please be sure to review all of the policies and procedures regarding accommodations.
- Summer 2021: May 31, 2021
- Fall 2021: Aug. 15, 2021
You must complete your compliance requirements before the date listed above to avoid a hold on your registration.
In order to be compliant with UMSON and UMB's Student Health, the following are required:
- Background Check
- Drug Test
- CPR Certification
- HIPAA Certification
- Code of Conduct
- RN License (if applicable to the program)
You are responsible for the costs associated with compliance.
UMSON uses the vendor CastleBranch to manage student compliance documents.
- You will need to order both packages listed below (Step 1 and Step 2).
- Use the same email when ordering each package.
- You will need your Student ID number (aka your "@number") from your acceptance letter or from your SURFS account.
Order the Medical Document Manager Package (#1), package name UP93im, from the Student Health CastleBranch portal.
- Click here.
- Choose Place Order
- Under Please Select, choose Student Health
- Select School of Nursing
- Choose UP93im: Medical Document Manager
- Complete the form.
Order the UMSON Required Compliance Package (#2) from the UMSON CastleBranch portal.
Have your payment method ready. CastleBranch accepts credit cards, money orders, and electronic checks. (Electronic checks may delay processing until payment clears.)
- Click here.
- Choose Place Order
- Select I am a Student
- Choose your program from the menu
- Select I need to order my package from the drop-down menu
- Review the contents of your package, check the box indicating you've read and understand the terms and conditions.
- Choose Continue Order and you will be directed to set up your myCB account.
- Provide evidence of completion of items outlined under "Compliance Requirements" below.
- Background Check:
- Conducted by CastleBranch within 1-3 business days.
- UMSON does not review the specifics of your report, only if you passed it.
- Contact CastleBranch directly with any concerns.
- Drug Test:
- Complete through a LabCorp or Quest Diagnostics facility.
- Take the lab slip provided from CastleBranch with you.
- You will submit a record of your immunization antibody titers or documentation of your vaccines and Tuberculosis screening.
- Students unable to obtain documentation of immunity can be tested and immunized at the Student Health Center (408 W. Lombard St.). There may be a charge for these services depending on your insurance coverage.
- Refer to the Compliance Self Tracker for a complete list.
- CPR Certification:
- Only American Red Cross or American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider certifications accepted.
- HIPAA Certification
- Code of Conduct
- RN License:
- for RN-to-BSN, RN-to-MSN, MSN, and doctoral students only
- Maryland or compact state licensure is required for all clinical/practicum rotations located in Maryland.
Immunizations and certifications will need to be reviewed throughout your time at UMSON, and it is your responsibility to monitor your CastleBranch account and maintain your compliance. We highly encourage you to print the Compliance Self Tracker and post it in a visible place in your home/office to remind you of upcoming compliance dates. You will also receive notifications from CastleBranch 21 days prior to a requirement’s expiration date.
Our Compliance FAQs can answer many common questions.
If you need further assistance:
|for CastleBranch questions||CastleBranch
|for immunization questions||UMB Student Health
29 S. Paca St., Baltimore, MD 21201
|for undergraduate and CNL student questions||Alex Snow
UMSON, Room 108
|for master's/doctoral student questions||Office of the Academic Deans
UMSON, Room 518
UMSON's orientation activities are designed to help you learn about UMSON policies and procedures, as well as resources available to you. All students must attend.
Students enrolled at UMSON Baltimore:
Your One Card is your official identification card and is required for entrance into all buildings on the University of Maryland campus. You can also use it to access URecFit and to pay for parking.
Please visit the OneCard webpage for more information about obtaining your student ID.
Students enrolled at the Universities at Shady Grove:
You are required to obtain IDs from both UMB and Shady Grove.
- UMB: Please visit the OneCard webpage for more information about obtaining your student ID.
- USG: You will obtain your USG ID during orientation.