Congratulations! Welcome to the University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON).
Now there are just a few more steps to complete before you start classes.
Note that the information below does not apply to PhD students, who should follow these PhD-specific instructions from the Graduate School.
To confirm your seat, you must submit the following within two weeks of your dated acceptance letter:
- a non-refundable $400 payment to reserve you seat which can be applied to your tuition upon enrollment (not required for PhD or Coursework Only students)
- click here to submit your deposit
- be sure to save your receipt for your records and to submit your confirmation form
- a confirmation form
- click here to fill out the confirmation form
- you'll be asked to attach a copy of your tuition deposit payment (if applicable)
If you have any questions, contact the Office of Admissions and Student Scholarships.
You will receive notice from firstname.lastname@example.org at the personal email we have on file when it's time to set up your:
- UMID: This unique username will be used for logging into all of our student support systems (e.g., Blackboard, SURFS).
- Email: After your UMID and password is set up, you'll receive another email with instructions on how to set up your campus email (@umaryland.edu email). From that point on, this is the only official way UMSON will relay important information to you electronically.
Please note that it may take several weeks after you confirm your acceptance before you receive the email from email@example.com. Please direct any questions regarding your @umaryland.edu email or UMID there.
Be sure to write down your password and store it for future use!
You will also need to comply with our laptop requirement.
You will be required to have a laptop that meets UMSON’s minimum technology requirements (see laptop minimum specifications) and can be brought to class for use in classroom assignments. If you need to purchase a laptop, the cost may be included with your financial aid cost of attendance package because it is a program requirement.
Review your financial aid package:
- This can be found via the Student User Friendly System (SURFS).
- Log-in information and step-by-step directions are here.
If you haven’t already done so, complete:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): It’s free and is necessary to qualify for any need-based financial aid packages (i.e., grants, loans, and scholarships).
- Application for In-State Classification: This form is necessary if you wish to be considered for in-state classification.
- Student Health Insurance Options and Waiver: Select a health insurance plan or opt out with the health insurance waiver form.
See class registration information for:
- students enrolled at UMSON Baltimore and/or online
- students enrolled at the Universities at Shady Grove.
Educational Support and Disability Services: If you need to request academic accommodation for a disability, please contact the UMB Office of Educational Support and Disability Services at 410-706-5889 well in advance of the start of the semester. Please be sure to review all of the policies and procedures regarding accommodations.
If you have any questions, contact the Office of the Registrar and Student Placements.
- Summer: May 23, 2022
- Fall continuing students: August 15, 2022
- Fall new BSN and CNL students: August 24, 2022
In order to be compliant with UMSON and UMB's Student Health, the following are required:
- Background Check
- Drug Test
- Immunizations, including the COVID-19 Vaccine
- CPR Certification
- HIPAA Certification
- Code of Conduct
- RN License (if applicable to the program)
Review the Clinical Site COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements.
You are responsible for the costs associated with compliance.
UMSON uses the vendor CastleBranch to manage student compliance documents.
- You will need to order both packages listed below (Step 1 and Step 2).
- Use the same email when ordering each package, preferably your official UMB email account.
- You will need your Student ID number (aka your "@number") from your acceptance letter or from your SURFS account. Please ensure your Student ID number has been typed out in its full @00XXXXXX configuration.
Order the Medical Document Manager Package (#1), package name UP93im, from the Student Health CastleBranch portal.
- Click here.
- Choose Place Order
- Under Please Select, choose Student Health
- Select School of Nursing
- Choose UP93im: Medical Document Manager
- Complete the form.
Order the UMSON Required Compliance Package (#2) from the UMSON CastleBranch portal.
Have your payment method ready. CastleBranch accepts credit cards, money orders, and electronic checks. (Electronic checks may delay processing until payment clears.)
- Click here.
- Choose Place Order
- Select I am a Student
- Choose your program from the menu
- Select I need to order my package from the drop-down menu
- Review the contents of your package, check the box indicating you've read and understand the terms and conditions.
- Choose Continue Order and you will be directed to set up your myCB account.
- Provide evidence of completion of items outlined under "Compliance Requirements" below.
- Background Check:
- Conducted by CastleBranch within 1-3 business days.
- UMSON does not review the specifics of your report, only if you passed it.
- Contact CastleBranch directly with any concerns.
- Drug Test:
- Complete through a LabCorp or Quest Diagnostics facility.
- Take the lab slip provided from CastleBranch with you.
- You will submit a record of your immunization antibody titers or documentation of your vaccines and Tuberculosis screening.
- Students unable to obtain documentation of immunity can be tested and immunized at the Student Health Center (408 W. Lombard St.). There may be a charge for these services depending on your insurance coverage.
- Refer to the Compliance Self Tracker for a complete list.
- CPR Certification:
- Only American Red Cross or American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider certifications accepted.
- HIPAA Certification
- Code of Conduct
- RN License:
- for RN-to-BSN, RN-to-MSN, MSN, and doctoral students only
- Maryland or compact state licensure is required for all clinical/practicum rotations located in Maryland.
- COVID-19 Vaccine
Immunizations and certifications will need to be reviewed throughout your time at UMSON, and it is your responsibility to monitor your CastleBranch account and maintain your compliance. We highly encourage you to print the Compliance Self Tracker and post it in a visible place in your home/office to remind you of upcoming compliance dates. You will also receive notifications from CastleBranch 21 days prior to a requirement’s expiration date.
It is also the student’s responsibility to make sure their first, middle, and last name in CastleBranch match their student record in SURFS. Please ensure your Student ID number has been typed out in its full @00XXXXXX configuration and that the email address linked to your CastleBranch account is your official UMB email account. Updates to your Castle Branch profile can be made by contacting Castle Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-723-4263.
Our Compliance FAQs can answer many common questions.
If you need further assistance:
|for COVID-19 vaccine questions||Kelsey Bradford, MD, MPH
|for CastleBranch questions||CastleBranch
|for immunization questions||UMB Student Health
29 S. Paca St., Baltimore, MD 21201
|for undergraduate and CNL student questions||Alex Snow
UMSON, Room 108
|for master's/doctoral student questions||Kelsey Bradford, MD, MPH
UMSON's orientation activities are designed to help you learn about UMSON policies and procedures, as well as resources available to you. All students must attend.
If you have any questions, contact the following:
- Students enrolled in Baltimore: Office of Academic and Career Success at Baltimore
- Students enrolled at the Universities at Shady Grove: Office of Academic and Career Success at Shady Grove
You must be registered for classes before you can obtain your One Card student ID.
Students enrolled at UMSON Baltimore:
Your One Card is your official identification card and is required for entrance into all buildings on the University of Maryland campus. You can also use it to access URecFit and to pay for parking.
Please visit the OneCard webpage for more information about obtaining your student ID.
Students enrolled at the Universities at Shady Grove:
You are required to obtain IDs from both UMB and Shady Grove.
- UMB: Please visit the OneCard webpage for more information about obtaining your student ID.
- USG: You will obtain your USG ID during orientation.
Entry BSN and CNL Students: You will receive information about your books at UMSON 101; most of your books are purchased for you as part of your student fees. You will receive an access code for your online textbooks via email before Orientation. Do not order your books online.
All Other Students: Order your books online.
Students can order uniforms online or in person at the UMB Bookstore. RN-to-BSN students do not need to purchase uniforms.
The entry BSN uniform includes the following:
- a short-sleeve white T-shirt for under the scrub top
- white, black, or gray shoes that can be wiped off (synthetic or leather – no fabric, canvas, or mesh) with closed heel and toes (no Croc type)
- a stethoscope with bell and diaphragm
- water resistant analog watch with a sweep second hand
- well-fitted UMSON scrubs; two pairs recommended (pants/skirt and top)
- a short white lab coat
Virtual Admitted Student Chats
Congratulations on being admitted to the University of Maryland School of Nursing! Join us for an online admitted student chat to learn how to navigate your next steps. Representatives from the Office of Admissions and Student Scholarships, the Student Success Center in Baltimore and at the Universities at Shady Grove, and the Office of the Registrar and Student Placements will be available to answer all of your questions.
|RN-BSN||Oct. 18, 2022, 11 a.m.||RSVP Now|
|BSN||Oct. 19, 2022, 11 a.m.||RSVP Now|
|RN-BSN||Nov. 16, 2022, noon||RSVP Now|
|BSN||Nov. 18, 2022, noon||RSVP Now|
|RN-BSN||Dec. 13, 2022, 1 p.m.||RSVP Now|
|BSN||Dec. 14, 2022, 1 p.m.||RSVP Now|
|BSN||Jan. 11, 2023, 2 p.m.||RSVP Now|
|RN-BSN||Jan. 13, 2023, 2 p.m.||RSVP Now|
Join UMSON Connect
Connect and engage with UMSON alumni, students, and faculty via this exclusive online community.Join UMSON Connect
Download UMSON Wallpapers
Take your UMSON spirit wherever you go! Downloadable wallpapers are now available for a variety of devices.Download UMSON Wallpapers Download UMSON Wallpapers