Accepted PhD Students
Congratulations! Welcome to the University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON).
Now there are just a few more steps to complete before you start classes.
Step 1 | Respond to our offer of admission.
To confirm your seat, you must accept the offer within two weeks of your dated acceptance letter.
- Log into your student application portal.
- Under Action, click View.
- Click the Decision History tab.
- Click Respond Now.
Step 2 | Get connected.
You will receive notice from email@example.com at the personal email we have on file when it’s time to set up your:
- UMID: This unique username will be used for logging into all of our student support systems (e.g., Blackboard, SURFS).
- Email: After your UMID and password is set up, you’ll receive another email with instructions on how to set up your campus email (@umaryland.edu email). From that point on, this is the only official way Graduate School will relay important information to you electronically.
Be sure to write down your password and store it for future use!
Step 3 | Review information about financial aid, residency, and health insurance.
Review your financial aid package:
- This can be found via the Student User Friendly System (SURFS).
- Log-in information and step-by-step directions are here.
Contact us about Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits:
- If you are a US military veteran and would like to use your VA Educational benefits, contact Theresa Murray, our VA Certifying Official, at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
If you haven’t already done so, complete:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): It’s free and is necessary to qualify for any need-based financial aid packages (i.e., grants, loans, and scholarships).
- Application for In-State Classification: This form is necessary if you wish to be considered for in-state classification.
- Student Health Insurance Options and Waiver: Select a health insurance plan or opt out with the health insurance waiver form.
Step 4 | Register for classes.
Before registering, you and your advisor are expected to engage in a discussion that will result in proper course selection. After you have met with your adviser, follow these instructions to register for classes.
Educational Support and Disability Services: If you need to request academic accommodation for a disability, please contact the UMB Office of Educational Support and Disability Services at 410-706-5889 well in advance of the start of the semester. Please be sure to review all of the policies and procedures regarding accommodations.
Step 5 | Complete your compliance requirements.
All new/incoming students are required to upload their immunization/tuberculosis screening data to the University of Maryland, Baltimore site hosted by Castle Branch.
This must be completed before Aug. 15, 2021 to avoid a Hold being placed on your account. A Hold prevents you from registering for classes.
The web address for creating a new account and uploading your documents is: https://portal.castlebranch.com/UP92
You will need your Student Identification Number or “@ number” to create a new account with Castle Branch. To begin follow these steps:
- Place Order
- Select Program
- Select Graduate School
- Semester is Fall 2021
Students unable to obtain documentation of immunity can be tested and immunized at the Student Health Center (408 W. Lombard St.). There may be a charge for these services depending on your insurance coverage.
If you need further assistance:
for CastleBranch questions
for immunization questions
UMB Student Health
for PhD student questions
Tomika Jones, MA
Step 6 | Attend orientation activities.
University of Maryland, Baltimore Graduate School orientation activities are designed to help you learn about Graduate School policies and procedures, as well as resources available to you. All students must attend.
Step 7 | Get your student ID.
Your One Card is your official identification card and is required for entrance into all buildings on the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus. You can also use it to access URecFit and to pay for parking.
Please visit the One Card webpage for more information about obtaining your student ID.