This program requires at least 59 prerequisite credits.
Seamlessly transfer credits when you start with a Pre-Nursing track or undergraduate degree at one of our partner four-year universities.
Find out how your prerequsities transfer.
Before you begin the admissions process, you can submit copies of your unofficial transcript(s) to us for review, and an admissions counselor will advise you on your requirements for admission.
This program will prepare you for a nursing career across a broad spectrum of acute, chronic, and community-based settings.
Before beginning your studies at UMSON, you must complete your first two years of undergraduate education at another accredited college or university, ensuring you fulfill the necessary prerequisites.
As a BSN student, you will learn from:
- faculty who are leaders in their fields
- scientists who are on the cutting edge of nursing research
- expert clinicians with decades of experience.
While they're a diverse group, they have one main goal: Help you become an exceptional registered nurse.
During your coursework, you will:
- build your nursing competencies in state-of-the-art facilities
- develop relationships with bright, driven students like you
- take part in engaging clinical experiences that challenge you to succeed in real-life situations and teach you clinical decision making — simulation is integrated into all clinical courses.
Once you've completed your degree, you will:
- be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN licensure exam, qualifying you for positions in a variety of health care settings
- be prepared to succeed in a wide range of health care environments
- have the qualifications you need to pursue graduate studies.
UMSON is leading nursing schools nationwide to reconceptualize its RN-to-BSN curriculum to meet the new American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s The Essentials: Core Competencies for Professional Nursing Education Essentials.
The enhanced ENTRY-INTO-PRACTICE BSN curriculum features:
- additional elective courses
- reflective practice
- more community and clinical experiences
- a renewed focus on resiliency and wellness for workforce retention
- a two-part professional development series in the first and four semesters, focused on wellness, mindfulness, and mental health
- exploration of a breadth of career options.
The entry-into-nursing BSN program has a rigorous curriculum and is offered at the University of Maryland, Baltimore and at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Maryland.