The UMSON Staff Council provides a forum where staff can address and discuss issues that are important to them.
The UMSON Staff Council:
- acts as an advisory council to the dean and the administration to share concerns
- promotes professional development through seminars and programs to enhance the personal well-being of staff
- fosters a spirit of cooperation, professionalism, and integrity with a dedication to honest and open communication.
The Staff Council serves as a channel of communication to the dean in the areas of policy and procedures that affect the quality of the staff's work life and their level of contribution to the strategic goals of the campus. The Staff Senate was begun in 1994 and since has researched many areas of concern for staff members.
Topics of investigation and action include, but are not limited to:
- policies and procedures affecting eligible employees
- work environment and staff morale
- issues impacting wages, benefits, and working conditions
- community/outreach activities.
Meetings are held the third Thursday of every month from 10 - 11 a.m. via WebEx until we are all back on campus and can meet in person. All staff members are encouraged and welcome to attend.
- Megan Meadow, Chair
- Forjet Williams, Chair-Elect
- Enjoli Sonnier, Secretary
- Angela Staten, Treasurer
- Phyllis Lovito, Immediate Past-Chair
Staff Action Committee
- Mishawn Smith, Chair - Community Engagement
- Terria McClain, Chair - Professional Development
- Phyllis Lovito, Chair - Staff Enhancement
An updated list of active members will be added here soon.
To be an active member, you must:
- attend at least three-quarters of Staff Council meetings per fiscal year
- commit to one year of service
- vote on all recommendations brought forth by Staff Council
Join UMSON Staff and Faculty Members in one or more community engagement opportunities.
A Message from the UMSON Staff Council Community Engagement Workgroup:
Volunteer and service activities are challenging at the moment – but now is the perfect time to continue to learn about community service and engagement in and around our UMB community.
Check back here for upcoming events.
Note: Through the UMB Employee Volunteer Initiative, the University of Maryland, Baltimore will allow full-time faculty and staff to use four hours of paid leave if they wish to volunteer at a qualifying nonprofit organization of their choice.
Merry Holiday Recipes, Winter 2020
While teleworking during the COVID-19 pandemic, UMSON faculty and staff shared holiday cheer by submitting their favorite recipes and putting together a book of Merry Holiday Recipes.
Share the Love, Winter 2019
The UMSON community came together to donate items and assemble 100 street survival kits for individuals experiencing homelessness. Completed kits were provided to the UMB Police Department for distribution as they work in the community.
Hooked on Helping, Fall 2019
The UMSON community created 350 knitted and crocheted infant hats to Mercy Medical Center’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), and Pediatric Units.
- News Coverage: UMSON donates 350 knit hats to infants at Mercy Medical Center
- Photo Gallery: Hooked on Helping 2019
This annual award is presented in the spirit of Dean Kirschling's legacy, "to leave UMSON a better place to work and learn, a place that values inclusiveness, civility and respect."
This award acknowledges and recognizes teams who demonstrate UMB's Core Values.
The semiannual Staff Excellence Award recognizes excellence among staff of the University of Maryland School of Nursing.