Diversity and Inclusion
UMSON's Student Ambassadors take part in workshops and community service, mentor incoming students, and represent the student body at events.
Our Pioneers of Diversity paved the way for diversity at UMSON.
- 48% minority students
- 12% male students
All are welcome at UMSON.
Diversity is a source of strength and innovation for the University of Maryland School of Nursing. We’re committed to preparing future nurses to provide culturally competent care, and we aim to help create a health care workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the United States.
We were the first school on the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus to devote a full-time, associate dean position to diversity and inclusion. With a goal of weaving inclusive excellence throughout the UMSON fabric, we are committed to enhancing the School of Nursing experience for all community members and to promoting an environment and culture in which we can all learn and work collaboratively.
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is the UMSON hub for:
- service and community outreach
- collaborative and innovative thinking about diversity and inclusion
- process improvement
- inclusive excellence among students, faculty, and staff.
We offer you:
- individual and departmental support and assistance with relationship and community building
- professional development programs and initiatives
- a space for integrative and innovative thinking and a resource center for diversity and inclusion
- opportunities for collaborative engagement in education research, writing, and presenting
- advocacy in ensuring fairness in policies and practices at all levels
- an ally in minimizing micro-injustices and pursuing organizational trust.
UMSON was selected to receive the annual Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award, the only honor recognizing U.S. and Canadian health schools and centers that demonstrate an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion across their campuses.