Dean’s Teaching Scholars Awards:
This award provides support for faculty to facilitate or develop research/projects that:
- enhance nursing education and/or
- extend the evidence base for teaching and learning.
Proposals may be either:
- research to support evidence-based practices in teaching
- courses/programs that will enhance the teaching/learning process.
- research projects related to teaching/learning
- development of projects with potential for subsequent research funding
- development of an initiative/course with a major evaluation component.
UMSON faculty who have been a full-time faculty member for at least one year are eligible to apply.
Amount of Award:
Budgets should not exceed $5,000. Up to four awards will be made each year. Both the number and amount of awards are limited to availability of funds.
- Discuss your idea and interest in submitting a proposal with your department chair. This is important as your chair will need to sign off on your proposal prior to submission. Note that work on this proposal and project are part of your Scholarly Effort rather than workload.
- Schedule a time to meet with an Institute for Educators faculty member to discuss your idea, assure the fit of your proposal with the scope of the Dean’s Teaching Scholars Program, and identify resources that you may need to prepare and submit your proposal. You may also attend a Q&A session to ask questions or seek support.
- Complete the Application as specified in the next section.
- Submit your completed application by email to the Institute for Educators by Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2024.
- Applications will be de-identified and blind-reviewed by anonymous peer faculty who will complete a written review of the application.
- Notification of Awards will be March 1, 2024.
Examples of Potential Resources
- Institute for Educators Faculty
- Content Experts
- Protection of the Rights of Human Subjects (IRB) – Casey Jackson
- Informal Peer Review
- Assistance with Data Analysis – discuss need for this with Erika Friedmann
- Nursing Librarians – Health Science and Human Services Library
Criteria for Review of Proposals
- Fit with priority areas such as the UMB Strategic Plan and teaching mission of UMSON
- Scientific Merit
- Significance and innovativeness, and
- Feasibility for completion within the 1-year time-frame of the award
See recent Dean’s Teaching Scholars Award recipients.