Precept UMSON Students
Ready to become a preceptor?
Simply fill out our Preceptor Inquiry Form and a member of the student placements team will be in touch with you.
Want to continue your education?
We are always looking to partner with new preceptors for clinical experiences and site representatives for practicum and project experiences.
At the University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON) we offer an accredited, comprehensive curriculum taught by highly experienced faculty members in lecture, small classroom, online, and simulation environments.
Experiential learning through clinical, practicum, and project rotations allows students to:
- assess and diagnose patients under the guidance of accomplished nursing and medical professionals
- practice leadership methodologies and learn health care policy
- address public health shortages for an ever-growing diverse patient population
- help develop innovative healthcare technology solutions
- participate in interprofessional collaboration.
As a preceptor, you will:
- work with students from U.S. News & World Report top-ranked programs, who our current preceptors and site representatives boast are the most prepared and professional students for field rotations
- create a pipeline of potential future colleagues already familiar with your unit/practice and patient population
- continue the lifelong learning process while enhancing the health care community.
The Student Placements team will work with you from requesting a rotation through onboarding to ensure a seamless overall experience.
- Have the application fee waived when you apply to an UMSON academic program. Simply fill out this online form, and our admissions team will respond to you via email.
- Use your preceptor hours for re-certification.
- Receive the Maryland State Preceptor Tax Credit.
- Become eligible for the Annual Preceptor Award, given to one exemplary preceptor or site representative each year that is nominated by our students.
- Are eligible for membership within the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) through the UMSON group discount. To take advantage of the discounted price, please contact the DNP program office at NRSDNP@umaryland.edu.
- Receive a personalized thank-you letter verifying your precepted hours.
- Gain on-campus access to the University of Maryland, Baltimore’s Health Sciences and Human Services library.
- Post to the UMSON job board at no cost.
- Receive referrals! Nurses that you precept are likely to refer patients to you in the future.
- Apply for faculty associate status (see below).
- Preceptors are eligible for membership within The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) for the year 2022-2023 through the UMSON group discount. To take advantage of the discounted price, please contact the DNP program office at NRSDNP@umaryland.edu.
Faculty Associate Status:
After working with students for multiple, consecutive semesters, you can apply for faculty associate status, a title recognizing the hard work you do in partnership with the School — and a useful resume builder!
Faculty associates receive two vouchers valid for one day of a conference or continuing education program offered through the School of Nursing's Office of Professional Education.
Preceptor and Clinical Site Representative Handbook
A helpful resource for those working with entry and advanced students, including descriptions of each on-site learning experience and details about affiliation agreements, student compliance, evaluation, and more.
The Essential Competencies of Preceptors: A Focus on Working with APRN Students
Develop your precepting skills with free online education modules. The online program is designed for clinicians who have precepted, are currently precepting, or will precept advanced practice nursing (APRN) students in a variety of settings.
Preceptor Expectation Checklist and the Faculty Expectation Checklist
The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) and the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) collaborated to develop a free tool that uses evidence-based suggestions to promote a healthy, ongoing relationship and reduce barriers experienced by the clinical preceptor, NP faculty, or NP student.
5 Tips for Precepting Students
These tips from nurses who have precepted UMSON students can help you make precepting the best experience possible — for both of you.
If you are interested in precepting a student, please fill out our Preceptor Inquiry Form.
Otherwise, questions can be directed to the appropriate staff members below.
|Staff Member||Contact for ...|
|DNP clinical rotations for DNP with specialty students (excluding CRNAs)|
Theresa Di Seta
|BSN/CNL community placements|
Assistant Director, Student Placements
Phone: (410) 706-0833
|Graduate (DNP, MSN, and certificates) non-clinical rotations (practicum and project)|
Assistant Director, Student Placements
Phone: (410) 706-7686
|Entry-to-practice (BSN and CNL) practicum rotations|
Phone: (410) 706-4389
|Graduate (DNP and MSN) onboarding paperwork, STEPS management, compliance questions|
|Entry-to-practice (BSN and CNL) group clinical rotation coordination and onboarding|
of graduate nursing students take a job with a site where they completed an experiential learning rotation
active faculty associates, a title recognizing those who work with students for multiple, consecutive semesters