Thursday, Nov. 12, 2020, 8 a.m. ET
Sunday, Feb. 7, 2021, 11:59 p.m. ET
Information and Guidelines
All abstracts should be submitted using the online submission process. Be sure to review both the submission and abstract guidelines before you begin. If you have questions during this process, contact Sonia Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-706-3767.
Track A: Fostering Patient Engagement in Health IT, During and After COVID-19
A key component to successful health care delivery is engaging and empowering patients. Patients who are active participants in their own health care will have better health outcomes and fewer side effects. In recent years, there has been a rapid growth in the number of health information technology (IT) programs that are designed to inform, engage, and empower patients (patient-facing technologies). Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, there had been a lack of efforts in improving patients’ experiences. This track will provide a brief overview of the current trend in patient-facing health IT programs and strategies for selecting, implementing, and evaluating those programs using real-world examples.
Track B: Leading Hi-TECH with Hi-TOUCH
Artificial Intelligence is being deployed across the health care continuum and integrated into health care delivery to inform better perception, decisions, and actions. These solutions offer opportunities and challenges to informaticists. The opportunity for IT professionals to work with clinical staff in understanding and developing this technology is critical. This track will provide theoretical, clinical, and practical information and examples on the state of development, application, and projected future of artificial intelligence in health care.
Track C: Ensuring a Health IT Competent Workforce
Informatics and health care professionals all need to maintain proficiencies in their practice. These proficiencies include being able to function in a highly technical and data-rich environment. Competency expectations are being created for all informatics and health care professionals who utilize informatics techniques and information technology. This track will provide an overview of the current state of competency requirements and a plan for how health care organizations can implement these proficiencies and structure evaluations for professionals.
Review the required information and abstract guidelines.
- In the case of multiple authors, we recommend that only the primary presenter (person who will present at SINI) submit the abstract and required information.
- The primary presenter must provide the required information for all co-authors at the time of submission, whether or not co-authors plan to attend SINI. Abstracts that name co-authors but fail to include the required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Prepare your abstract as a separate Word document and have all information ready before starting the submission process.
- Select the appropriate category for your work: Research or Practice.
- Indicate your preference for a podium or poster presentation. The review committee may request that you change from your preferred presentation format to the other.
- All accepted abstracts will be asked to provide a recorded presentation for their content for the virtual format. This includes a 20-minute presentation for a podium presentation or a five-minute presentation of a poster.
- Provide the title of your abstract as you want it to appear in the program.
- Copy and paste the text of your abstract into the box provided in the online form. The form will accept no more than 500 words. Longer abstracts will be truncated at 500 words.
- Incomplete forms, alternatively formatted submissions, emailed submissions, or faxed submissions will not be considered for review.
The primary presenter will receive email notification of the review committee's decision after March 1, 2021. The primary presenter is expected to relay this information to all co-authors. Winners of Outstanding Abstract awards will be notified during this time also.
Presenter Commitment and Registration
Your commitment to present and a completed registration form for the primary presenter must be received on or before Monday, March 29, 2021. Failure to register by this deadline will constitute a decline to present.
Presenters are expected to register to attend SINI; primary presenters selected will receive a discounted registration rate for the entire conference. Primary presenters of the Outstanding Podium and Poster Abstract awards receive complimentary registration for all of SINI.
Guidelines for Presentations
Podium Presentations (Tracks A and B only)
Two podium presentations are scheduled per hour. Each speaker should allocate 20 minutes for their presentation and allow an additional five to 10 minutes for Q&A. All accepted presentations will be pre-recorded, and presenters are expected to be present during presentation and live Q&A. Additional details will be provided for accepted abstracts.
Poster Presentations (for all tracks)
All accepted posters will be required to record a five-minute presentation of their poster that will be available for all participants during and after SINI. In addition to virtual presentations, there will be a scheduled time for poster presenters to answer questions live. Additional details will be provided for accepted abstracts.
Awards for Outstanding Podium and Poster Presentations
Two abstracts will be chosen by the review committee for awards. The primary presenter of each winning abstract will receive complimentary registration to SINI 2021. Complimentary registration includes all sessions of SINI. The winners will be recognized during the conference, and their names will appear on the SINI website.
Outstanding Podium Presentation Award
One presentation abstract judged to offer the greatest contribution to nursing informatics will receive the Outstanding Presentation Award.
Outstanding Poster Award
One poster abstract judged to offer the greatest contribution to nursing informatics will receive an Outstanding Poster Award.
People’s Choice Award
Attendees will vote for a People’s Choice Award. The winner will be announced at the closing session. The winner of the People’s Choice Award will receive a complimentary registration for SINI 2022.