You are here:
News, numbers, stats, and everything else you’d like to know about the University of Maryland School of Nursing.
1889. Year the school was established.
1,600. Number of students attending UMSON.
6th. UMSON’s ranking among all nursing schools nationally by U.S.News & World Report.
24. Number of clinical simulation laboratories.
40. Percentage of Maryland’s nursing workforce who are UMSON graduates.
34. Percentage of minority students.
1 in 10. More than 1 in 10 students are male.
20,021. Number of living alumni (from 50 states and 19 countries)
The Students and Faculty
- Baccalaureate: 737 students (BSN, RN-to-BSN, RN-to-BSN online)
- Master of Science: 678 students
- Doctoral: 220 students (54 PhD and 166 DNP)
- Faculty: 159 members (141 full-time and 18 part-time)
- Faculty associates and clinical preceptors: more than 300 (overseeing student clinical experiences)
First and Only
- First nursing school in the world to offer a master’s specialty in nursing informatics and first in the nation to offer a PhD program with a nursing informatics concentration
- Only nursing school in Maryland with an Institute for Educators in Nursing & Health Professions
- First online RN-to-BSN; Trauma/Critical Care master's specialty; and Health Policy master's specialty in the nation
- The state’s only Nurse Anesthesia master’s specialty and Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) master’s degree option
Research and Funding
- Eleventh in receipt of funding (for schools of nursing) from the National Institutes of Health (NIH); obtained $4 million in NIH grants in 2014
- Extramural research funding of $4.8 million in FY ’14; total extramural funding of $12.8 million in FY ’14
- Two interprofessional Organized Research Centers: Biology and Behavior Across the Life Span and Health Outcomes Research
- Research centers include extramurally funded investigators who study a variety of critical health problems including chronic pain, impulsivity and drug abuse, neuromuscular disorders, sleep, Web-based interventions, health care organizational issues, and bone health
- Named a Center of Excellence in Simulation by Laerdal Medical
- NCLEX Pass Rate: BSN graduates – 90 percent; CNL graduates – 89 percent
- Operates Governor’s Wellmobile Program, an interprofessional collaborative practice providing nurse-managed primary health care to uninsured and underserved residents in Central Maryland and the Upper Eastern Shore
- Provides nurse practitioner faculty members who practice at two school-based wellness centers in Harford County
- Provides technical assistance for school-based health center start-up
Click here to download the fact sheet (PDF).