Kristen Rawlett, PhD, FNP-BC
Assistant Professor, FCH
Phone Number: 410-706-3906
- PhD, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2014
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 1999 (ANCC certification 2000-present)
- BS, Nursing, Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, 1996
All of Us Research Program
Rawlett (Co-I), American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) mini-grant funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dean’s Research Scholars Program
$12,000, reduced teaching load
Rawlett (PI), UMSON
UMSON Research Facilitation Grant Awards
Rawlett (PI), Biology and Behavior Across the Lifespan Research Center
Sigma Theta Tau Scholarly Presentation/Travel Award (2)
Maryland Higher Education Commission Nurse Educator Doctoral Grant
PATIENTS/PCOR PILOT Grant # IR24HS022135-03 AHRQ
Rawlett (PI), “Assessing the Psychological Well-being in Adolescents Residing in Southwest Baltimore,” administered by the PATIENTS Program in the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy.
Maryland Higher Education Commission New Nurse Faculty Fellowship
- Rawlett, K., N’Dri, L., dos Reis, S., & Sibinga, E. (in press). Perceived Needs for Adolescent Psychological Well-Being in an Urban Community”. Journal of Pediatric Health Care.
- Rawlett, K., Friedmann, E., & Thomas, S. (in press). Mindfulness Based Intervention with an Attentional Comparison Group in At Risk Young Adolescents: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Integrative Medicine Research.
- Kostas-Polston, E. & Rawlett, K. (2018). Part 3 of a four-part series on critical topics identified by the 2015 nurse practitioner research agenda: NP education. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(12), 696-709.
- Rawlett, K. (2017). Adolescent Experience with Mindfulness. JSM Health Education and Primary Healthcare, 2 (3), 1032.
- Rawlett, K. & Scrandis, D. (2015). Mindfulness Techniques Implemented with At-
- Risk Adolescents and Associated Outcomes. Open Journal of Nursing, 2015, 9, (Suppl 1: M7) 82-88.
- Rawlett, K. (2014). Journey from self-efficacy to empowerment. Health Care, 2, 1-9.
- Rawlett, K. (2011). Analytical Evaluation of the Health Belief Model and the
- Vulnerable Populations Conceptual Model Applied to a Medically Underserved, Rural Population, International Journal of Applied Science & Technology, 1(2): 15-21.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NRSG 790: Methods for Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- NDNP 819: Advanced Health Assessment
- NURS 834: Translating Evidence into Practice
- NDNP 840: Introduction to Diagnostic Reasoning
- NDNP 841: Clinical Practicum in Management of Common Health Problems
- NDNP 842: Common Health Conditions, Episodic and Chronic
- NDNP 843: Clinical Practicum in Common Health Conditions, Episodic and Chronic
- Rawlett, K., Collins, J. & Waller, M. (2019). Retrospective Review: Community Members and SNRS Members Collaborate During Annual Conferences in Dallas and Atlanta. SNRS Annual Conference: Imagining the future through nursing research and innovation. Orlando, Florida: Southern Nursing Research Society.
- Rawlett, K. (2018). Stress Management Webinar. The American Nurses Association Center (ANCC) for Continuing Education and Professional Development.
- Rawlett, K. (2018). Precursor to a Tailored Mindfulness Intervention with Adolescents: Engaging the Community (Symposium on Clinical Applications of Mindfulness). Science from Within: International Conference of Mindfulness. Amsterdam, Netherlands: International Conference on Mindfulness (ICM).
- Barnes, H., Buchholtz, S., Rawlett, K., Schlepko, T., & Stead, L. (2018). Findings from Four Reviews on Nurse Practitioner Policy, Workforce, Education & Practice Research Priorities. NP’s-Moving Mountains in Health Care: AANP National Conference. Denver, Colorado: American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
- Rawlett, K. (2017). Mindfulness Intervention in At-Risk Adolescents: Participant Voices. In Influencing Global Health Through the Advancement of Nursing Scholarship: Proceedings of the 28th International Research Congress. Dublin, Ireland: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Dyess, S., Randolph, S. & Rawlett, K. (2016). The Legacy of Community Based, Public Health and Health Promotion Nursing Research: Strategies to Ensure Health. In A Solid Legacy, A Bright Tomorrow: Bridging the Past and Future of Nursing Research, Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of SNRS. Williamsburg, VA: Southern Nursing Research Society.
- Rawlett, K., Friedmann, E. & Thomas, S. (2015). Effect of a Nurse-Led Mindfulness Intervention with At- Risk Adolescents: A Randomized Control Study. In Question Locally, Engage Regionally, Apply Globally: Proceedings of the26th International Research Congress. San Juan, Puerto Rico: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Rawlett, K. & Scrandis, D. (2015). NP Education Regarding Opioid Dependence and Withdraw in Advanced Health Assessment. In Charting NP Education: Building Blocks of Excellence: Proceedings of the 41st Annual Meeting of NONPF. Baltimore, Maryland: National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.
Academic and Professional Activities
- 2018: Member, Search Committee: Family Community Health Department Chair
- 2017-2019: Member, Judicial Committee: University of Maryland School of Nursing
- 2017-2019: Digital Committee Co-Chair Pi Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2017: Faculty Presenter: Empowering Students to End the Cycle of Addiction, IPE/Interdisciplinary Training & Case Study on Opioid Overdose.
- 2015-present: Associate Member: University of Maryland, Baltimore Graduate School
- 2013-2014: Secretary Faculty Council, UM School of Nursing
- 2016-2018: Community/Public Health Research Interest Group Co-chair, Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2016-Present: Manuscript Reviewer: Mindfulness, Journal of Professional Nursing, Journal of Psychosomatic Research
- 2016-2017: Co-chair of the Community/Public Health Research Interest Group, Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2016-Present: American Association of Nurse Practitioners Research Committee
- 2013-Present National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty (NONPF), Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS)
- 2016: American Association of Nurse Practitioners Research Advisory Group Member (competitive selection)
- 2010-Present: Nurse Practitioner Association of Maryland (NPAM)
- 2005-Present: American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- 2019-present: Advisory Board Member, Maryland Responds, MD Department of Health
- 2018-present: Ready Responder (Level 2), Maryland Responds Medical Reserve Corps