Visit our Dissertations and DNP Projects page for more information regarding our doctoral graduates’ culminating dissertations and projects.
Directions to Apply for Graduation
All students must complete the graduation application by the deadline on the academic calendar to graduate.
To complete the form:
- log on to SURFS
- click RECORDS, then Graduation Application
Frequently Asked Questions
What ceremonies occur here?
Graduation is a commencement ceremony for all summer and fall graduates. At the events:
Convocation honors spring nursing school graduates. At the event:
All graduates are invited to participate in the University of Maryland, Baltimore's Commencement. At the event:
What is the Dean’s Alumni Circle?
Graduates who attend UMB Commencement are members of the Dean's Alumni Circle and receive a red-and-white cord at the end of the ceremony with their diploma.
Is academic regalia required? How do I order it?
Yes! All students must wear regalia.
- Order regalia through Oak Hill
- Order announcements, nursing pins, rings, and frames through Herff Jones
BSN, RN-BSN, RN-MSN
Bachelor’s cap, gown, tassel, and red stole with UMB logo
Master’s cap, gown, hood, and red stole with UMB logo
MSN (except CNL)
Master’s cap, gown, and hood
Doctoral cap, gown, and tassel with doctoral hood
Doctoral cap, gown, and tassel
How long is each ceremony?
It depends on how many graduates participate. The ceremony should last no longer than two - three hours.
Will my guest(s) need a ticket to attend?
Tickets are required for December Graduation, including for pinners for BSN and CNL graduates. The number of guest tickets we are able to provide depends on the number of graduates who RSVP to the ceremony. Tickets are distributed with packets. All graduates may attend; however, you must RSVP to secure tickets for guests. Details for guest tickets will be distributed after the RSVP deadline.
Tickets are not required to attend spring Convocation, and there is no limit to the number of guests who may attend. Please check the UMB Commencement site to determine if tickets are required for that event.
Where can I and my guests park?
Parking garages and street parking are conveniently located around the venue. There may be a charge for parking.
Who do I contact about special accommodations for either a guest or myself?
Graduation ceremonies require a lot of walking for graduates. Handicapped seating is available for guests at both spring and fall ceremonies. Closed caption available for spring ceremonies. It must be requested for the fall ceremony. Please email email@example.com to reserve guest handicapped seating, closed captioning, or if you or a guest have mobility concerns.
Is there a place I can store personal items?
There is no storage for personal items. Please give articles to a family member or friend to hold for you. Storing items under your chair is not an option, as graduates may not return to the same seat after leaving the stage. UMSON staff cannot take responsibility for personal items.
Is there photography?
A photographer captures individual photos of graduates as they approach the stage and while on stage, including pinners for BSN and CNL, and offer students the opportunity to purchase photographs of this special occasion. Candid photos prior and during the ceremony may be taken by other graduates, guests, and School of Nursing staff for possible publication. Privately hired photographers and guests are not allowed in the graduate lineup area or on the arena floor during the ceremony.
When will I get my diploma?
- Winter Graduation: Diplomas will be mailed to the address listed in the Student User Friendly System (SURFS) approximately the third week in January.
- Spring Convocation: Diplomas are distributed at UMB Commencement. If you do not pick up your diploma, it will be mailed to the address listed in the Student User Friendly System (SURFS) approximately three weeks after the event.
When will my transcript reflect my degree?
- Winter Graduation: after the second week in January
- Spring Convocation: after the second week in June
If you would like to order a transcript with your degree, click the "Hold for Degree" box when you fill out your transcript request. After degrees are applied, transcripts will be mailed to the address provided on the request form.
I am a receiving my doctorate. What happens at Graduation?
Hooding for all doctoral (DNP and PhD) students occurs during graduation. To prepare, all doctoral students should watch this "How to Wear a Doctoral Hood" video (do not pin your cap, as you will remove it for hooding). DNP students receive their hood with their regalia. Hoods are provided to PhD students at UMB Commencement or the Graduate Hooding Ceremony.
I am receiving my master’s degree. What happens at Graduation?
Student receiving their master’s degree are called to the stage by specialty. Upon reaching the stage, each student is announced. Students process across the stage to shake hands with the dean and academic associate dean. CNL students are pinned.
I am a BSN (including RN-to-BSN and RN-to-MSN) or CNL student. What happens at graduation?
All BSN and CNL students are pinned. RN-to-BSN students who may have previously been pinned will receive a second pin from UMB to signify their completion of the BSN degree. RN-to-MSN students completing their undergraduate degree are also pinned.
Students are presented with the red UMB stole with a pin on stage. All CNL and baccalaureate students, including RN-to-BSN and RN-to-MSN students, must purchase a UMB red stole for pinning from the UMB Bookstore. See the regalia section above for purchase information. Once all students are presented with a pin, pinning occurs after the reading of the nursing pledge. BSN and CNL students are strongly encouraged to attend info session and rehearsal.
What is pinning?
Pinning is a time-honored nursing tradition. During the ceremony, graduates of the baccalaureate and Clinical Nurse Leader programs are presented with the UMSON nursing pin on the red UMB stole.
Do I have to buy a nursing pin?
No. Each BSN and CNL student will receive a replica pin at the ceremony; however, you must purchase the red stole. The stole is included in the regalia package if ordered from Oak Hall, or it may also be purchased separately from the bookstore.
Original nursing pins can be ordered through Herff-Jones or in person at the UMB Bookstore. If you purchase a pin from the bookstore, you may use it or the replica pin for pinning during graduation.
Do I have to attend the NCLEX review at the school?
To be certified as having completed all graduation requirements and to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) exam, BSN and CNL students are required to complete an NCLEX review provided by the School. The three-part review is offered at both the Baltimore and Universities at Shady Grove locations and consists of:
- 3 in-person sessions from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- 1 mandatory practice test
- 1 synchronous course held online.
We recommend all students plan for the NCLEX review to be held sometime between the week before, of, or immediately after graduation. Current NCLEX review dates are available on the Academic Calendar.
For more information regarding the NCLEX review and applying for an RN license, consult the "National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) and Kaplan Resources" information on the Student Forms webpage.
For any questions, contact the Office of the Academic Deans at 410-706-4359 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact the office of the Registrar and Student Placements at email@example.com or 410-706-2799.
Photo, Video, and Program Archive
- December 2022 Graduation Recording
- December 2022 Graduation Program
- December 2022 Graduation Photo Gallery
- December 2022 Photo Montage
- May 2022 Convocation Program
- May 2022 Convocation Photo Gallery
- May 2022 Convocation Recording
- December 2021 Baltimore and USG Ceremony Program
- December 2021 Alumni (2020 and May 2021) Ceremony Program
- December 2021 Photo Gallery
- December 2021 Photo Montage
- May 2021 Virtual Degree Conferral Recording
- May 2021 Virtual Degree Conferral Program
- May 2021 Photo Montage
- December 2020 Virtual Degree Conferral Recording
- December 2020 Virtual Degree Conferral Program
- December 2020 Photo Montage
- May 2020 Virtual Degree Conferral Video
- May 2020 Virtual Degree Conferral Program
- May 2020 Photo Montage
- December 2019 Graduation (Baltimore) Photo Gallery
- December 2019 Graduation (Universities at Shady Grove) Photo Gallery
- May 2019 Convocation Photo Gallery
- May 2019 Convocation Video (PW: UMB19)
- May 2019 Convocation Video Captions
- December 2018 Graduation (Baltimore) Photo Gallery
- December 2018 Graduation (Universities at Shady Grove) Photo Gallery
- May 2018 Convocation Photo Gallery
- December 2017 Graduation (Baltimore) Photo Gallery
- December 2017 Graduation (Universities at Shady Grove) Photo Gallery
- May 2017 Convocation Photo Gallery
Graduation Visa Request Form
Fill out the Graduation Visa Letter Request online form.