Welcome to the University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON)! Now there are just a few more steps before you start classes.
To confirm your seat, you must submit the following within two weeks of your dated acceptance letter:
- a tuition deposit (not required for Coursework Only students)
- a confirmation form
To submit your tuition deposit:
- Go to the Student User Friendly System (SURFS).
- Choose either Online Bill Pay – Credit Card or Online Bill Pay – Check Only.
(You may need to disable your pop-up blocker to process your payment.)
- After you submit your payment, a summary will appear. Save this information for your records and to submit your confirmation.
To submit your confirmation:
Please fill out this Confirmation Form; you’ll be asked to attach a copy of your tuition deposit payment, if applicable.
You will receive an automated email when it is time to set up your UMB account and email.
- Go to UMB Account Management and click “New User, Set Up Account” at the bottom.
- A prompt will appear requesting you to create a user ID and password.
Your campus email address is the only official way UMSON will relay important information to you electronically. When you are eligible to create your “official” campus email address, you will receive a message from UMSON to the personal email we have on file with further instructions.
Review your financial aid package in the Student User Friendly System (SURFS); directions are here.
If you haven’t already done so, complete:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): It’s free and is necessary to qualify for any need-based financial aid packages (i.e., grants, loans, and scholarships).
- Application for In-State Classification: This form is necessary if you wish to be considered for in-state classification.
- Student Health Insurance Waiver: This form is necessary if you already have health insurance and do not want student health insurance.
Class registration information for:
- students enrolled at UMSON Baltimore and/or online
- students enrolled at the Universities at Shady Grove.
Educational Support and Disability Services: If you need to request academic accommodation for a disability, please contact the UMB Office of Educational Support and Disability Services at 410-706-5889 well in advance of the start of the semester. Please be sure to review all of the policies and procedures regarding accommodations.
As a new student, there are several requirements that must be completed prior to your enrollment, including:
- student health immunization requirements
- UMSON compliance documents
- background check and drug test
Deadline for Summer 2018: May 4, 2018
Deadline for Fall 2018: August 10, 2018
Printable Compliance Requirements by Program
Entry Into Practice Programs
Programs for Registered Nurses
Compliance Requirements Instructions
UMSON uses the Maryland Hospital Association’s designated vendor, Castle Branch, to manage and review these requirements.
All new/incoming students are REQUIRED to upload their immunization data to the University of Maryland, Baltimore site hosted by Castle Branch. This must be completed before the dates listed above to avoid a hold on your registration. This hold will prevent you
from registering for the following semester.
You will submit a record of your immunization antibody titers or documentation of your vaccines and Tuberculosis screening. Students unable to obtain documentation of immunity can be tested and immunized at the UMaryland Immediate Care office. There may be a
charge for these services depending on your insurance coverage.
You will need your Student Identification Number or "@ number" for registration with Castle Branch.
Immunizations and certifications will need to be reviewed throughout your time at UMSON, and it is your responsibility to monitor your Castle Branch account and maintain your compliance. We highly encourage you to print the Compliance Self Tracker and post it in a visible place in your home/office to remind you of upcoming compliance dates. You will also receive notifications from Castle Branch 21 days prior to a requirement’s expiration date.
Our Compliance FAQs can answer many of our common questions.
- If you need assistance, please contact Castle Branch at 888-723-4263 or email email@example.com.
- For any immunization questions, please contact Student Health at 667-214-1883 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit them at 29 S. Paca St., Baltimore, MD 21201.
- If you are a BSN, RN-to-BSN/MS, or CNL student, please contact Mikki Coleman at 410-706-7686 or email@example.com or visit her in room 104.
- If you are a graduate or doctoral student, please contact the Office of the Academic Deans at 410-706-4359 or NRSAcademicDeans@umaryland.edu or visit Room 518.
Your One Card is your official identification card and is required for entrance into all buildings on the University of Maryland campus. You can also use it to access URecFit and to pay for parking. Follow these steps to get your card.
You are required to obtain IDs from both UMB and Shady Grove.
- UMB: Follow these steps to get your card.
- USG: You will obtain your USG ID during orientation.