Diversity and Inclusion
UMSON's Student Ambassadors take part in workshops and community service, mentor incoming students, and represent the student body at events.
Our Pioneers of Diversity paved the way for diversity at UMSON.
- 44 percent of UMSON students are minorities
- 12 percent are men
All are welcome at UMSON.
Diversity is a source of strength and innovation for the University of Maryland School of Nursing. We’re committed to preparing future nurses to provide culturally competent care, and we aim to help create a health care workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the United States.
We were the first school on the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus to devote a full-time, associate dean position to diversity and inclusion. With a goal of weaving inclusive excellence throughout the UMSON fabric, we are committed to enhancing the School of Nursing experience for all community members and to promoting an environment and culture in which we can all learn and work collaboratively.
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is the UMSON hub for:
- service and community outreach
- collaborative and innovative thinking about diversity and inclusion
- process improvement
- inclusive excellence among students, faculty, and staff.
We offer you:
- individual and departmental support and assistance with relationship and community building
- professional development programs and initiatives
- a space for integrative and innovative thinking and a resource center for diversity and inclusion
- opportunities for collaborative engagement in education research, writing, and presenting
- advocacy in ensuring fairness in policies and practices at all levels
- an ally in minimizing micro-injustices and pursuing organizational trust.
Though it may not be actively committed to an employee resource group, this role will be considered an extension of the SON Office of Diversity and Inclusion. This person or person(s) will be their department, unit, or external direct link to office by being aware of diversity and inclusion vernacular, communicating activities and events, and making the office aware of any special or current trends, resources/literature, concerns, or issues for their department related to diversity and inclusion.
This group offers a platform for dialogue, awareness, and collaborative thinking through review of a variety of diverse reading and media materials.
an employee resource group that engages in mental, physical, and spiritual fitness, regardless of where you are on the fitness spectrum
an employee resource group that promotes spirited activities, camaraderie, and morale boosting during the work day and after hours
A diverse and inclusive grassroots network in the SON/UMB community that facilitates creative and interdisciplinary collaboration, innovation and dissemination.
Our goals are to:
- provide opportunities for collaboration that enhance and drive innovation within all SON/UMB disciplines
- provide linkages and interdisciplinary interactions between SON/UMB department and Schools
- increase the public awareness, understanding, and reach of science and the practice of nursing.
A group working to extend safe spaces to all of our faculty, staff, and students, as well as aim to be the voice for LGBTQ issues, activities, and activism.
- Speaker Series
- Advocacy and Education
- Curriculum Integration
- Literature Review
- Safe Space Training.
This employee resource group periodically gathers to discuss and recognize exceptional displays of our UMB Core Values. This group will recognize and nominate member(s) of our community that best demonstrates Civility, Respect, Diversity, Accountability, Collaboration, Excellence, Knowledge, and High Performance Leadership.
This employee resource group collects unique stories while creating, developing, and assessing the inventory of different abilities among UMSON faculty, staff, and students, and will find ways to bring these stories together in a way that can leverage their uniqueness for the School's benefit.
This committee focuses on diversity and inclusion from all angles, including:
- organizational messaging
- developing education and awareness activitie
- developing programs focusing on cultural competence.
- second floor
- fourth floor
- Room 202A, open Monday-Friday, 7:15 a.m.-10 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Additional Lactation Centers at UMB