Industrial nursing began in the 1890s when factory owners recognized the value of visiting nurse services. By the 1920s, School of Nursing graduates worked in infirmaries for companies like Mt. Vernon-Woodberry Mills, Bethlehem Steel, Sonneborn Clothing Factory, Stieff Silver, and the Stewart & Company department store. Beginning in 1939, the rapid expansion of the nation's wartime industrial workforce increased the need for nurses near the shop floor. "Keep 'em Working" became a popular slogan, with nurses working alongside plant doctors, safety engineers, and industrial executives.