Louise S. Jenkins, PhD, RN, FAHA, ANEF
You are here:
Director, Institute for Educators in Nursing and Health Professions
Director, Teaching in Nursing and Health Professions Certificate
Phone Number: 410-706-4296
Fax Number: 410-706-5560
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar (Post-Doctoral Fellowship), University of California, San Francisco
- PhD, Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- MS, Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- BS, Nursing, Northern Illinois University, De Kalb, Illinois
- “Preparing Clinical Faculty for Maryland Nursing Schools”, Jenkins, L.S. (PI) and O’Neil C., Co-PI, Maryland Higher Education Commission for the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission;. #NSPII- 14-113, 7/1/13-6/30/15, $295,573.
- “Statewide Initiatives for Nursing Faculty”, Jenkins, L.S. (PI) and O’Neil, C., Co-PI, Maryland Higher Education Commission for the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission; #NSPII-12-117, 7/1/11-6/30/15, $1,087,779.
- “Meeting the Challenge: Statewide Initiatives for Nursing Faculty”, Jenkins, L.S. (PI) and O’Neil C., Co-PI, Maryland Higher Education Commission for the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission #NSP II-11-110, 7/1/10-6/30/11. ($108,000).
- “Preparing, Supporting, and Developing Nursing Faculty”, Jenkins, L.S. (PI) and
O'Neil C., Co-PI, Health Resources and Services Administration, #D1DHP10754, Congressional Directive, 8/1/08 - 7/31/10. ($711,047).
- “Nursing Faculty for Maryland”, Jenkins, L.S. (PI) and O’Neil C., Co-PI, Maryland Higher Education Commission for the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission #NSP II-09-104, 7/1/08-6/30/11. ($499,990).
- “Teaching Scholars Training Program”, Thomas, S. (PI), Jenkins, L. (Co-Investigator),8/1/06-7/31/09, United States Department of Education GAANN Project ($886,704)
- "Attitudes and Intentions of Nursing Doctoral Students Regarding the Teaching/Academic Role: A National Survey", Funded by Teaching Scholars Program, University of Maryland School of Nursing (2004-2005).
- "Faculty Use of Technology to Enhance Clinical Competency Evaluation in Health Care Curricula", Jenkins, L.S. and Mallott, D., Co PIs, 9/01/01-6/30/03. Maryland Higher Education Commission.
- Waltz. C.F., Jenkins, L.S., and Han, N. (in press) Use and effectiveness of active learning methods in nursing and health professions education. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Grant, M.S. and Jenkins, L.S. (2014) Communication Education for Pre-Licensure Nursing Students: Literature Review, 2002-2013. Nurse Education Today, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.07.009.
- Jenkins, L.S. (2014). Nursing as a career: Many paths for helping people. In: Kishor, Vaida (Ed.) Nursing for the Curious: Why Study Nursing. ISBN 978-1-925128-03-1).
- Sowan, A. and Jenkins, L.S. (2013). Designing, delivering, and evaluating an interactive hybrid nursing research course using the seven principles of effective teaching. Nursing Education Perspectives, 34(5), 315-322.
- Sowan, A. and Jenkins, L.S. (2013). Designing, delivering, and evaluating an interactive hybrid nursing research course using the seven principles of effective teaching. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 82(6), 553-564.
- Jenkins, L.S. (2010). Computer-based testing. In Waltz, C.F., Strickland, O.L., and Lenz, E.R. (Eds.). Measurement in Nursing and Health Research, 4th ed. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 251-258.
- Sowan, A, and Jenkins, L.S. (2010). Paradata: A new data source in web-administered measures. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 28(6), 333-342. (also issue CE offering).
- Jenkins, L.S. (2008). Measurement error in clinical investigations. The Behavioral Measurement Letter, 10(1), 6-7.
- Jenkins, L.S., Schron, E.B., Bosworth-Ferrell, S., Powell, J. and McBurnie, M.A. for the AVID Investigators. (2007). Spouse quality of life in the antiarrhythmics versus implantable defibrillators (AVID) clinical trial. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 22(6), 472-479.
- Jenkins, L.S. and Schaivone, K. (2007). Standardized patients in nursing education. Annual Review of Nursing Education, Volume 5, New York: Springer Publishing Company, 3-23.
- Jenkins, L.S., Griffith, K.A., Schaivone, K., Budd, N., and Waltz, C.F. (2006). Use of GUTAs in teaching nurse practitioner students: Is self-efficacy theory a useful framework? Journal of Nursing Education, 45(1), 35-37.
- The AFFIRM Investigators, Jenkins, L.S. and Brodsky, M. writing group co-chairs (2005). Quality of life in atrial fibrillation: The AFFIRM study. American Heart Journal, 149(1), 112-120.
- Schron, E.B. and Jenkins, L.S. (2005). Quality of life in older patients with atrial fibrillation.American Journal of Geriatric Cardiology, 14(2), 87-90.
Primary Teaching Areas
Program Director, Teaching in Nursing and Health Professions Post Graduate Certificate
- NURS 791: Instructional Strategies and Assessment of Learning
- NURS 792: Practicum in Teaching in Nursing and Health Professions
Measurement in PhD Program
- NURS 811: Measurement of Nursing Phenomena
Academic & Professional Activities
- Past-President, Pi Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International
- Past Chair, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association
- Editorial Boards: International Journal of Hispanic Health Care, American Journal of Health Behavior, Health Behavior and Policy Review
- Journal Review Panels: Multiple
- Tri-Service Nursing Research Program Review Panel
- Campus: Instructional Technology Stakeholders Committee
- School: Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure Committee