Erika Friedmann, PhD
You are here:
Interim Associate Dean for Research
Phone Number: 410-706-0659
- PhD, Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1978
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1973
- Krause-Parello, C., Friedmann, E. The use of Animal-Assisted Intervention to examine the effects of salivary alpha-amylase, Immunoglobulin A, and heart rate during forensic interviews in child sexual abuse cases. Anthrozoös, First published online 9/17/2014 DOI: 10.2752/089279314X14072268688005
- Gee, N., Friedmann, E. Heart rate variability during a working memory task: Does touching a dog or person affect the response? Anthrozoös, First published online 8/12/2014 DOI:10.2752/089279314X14072268687763
- Akintade, B., Chapa, D., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. The influence of depression and anxiety symptoms on health-related quality of life in patients with atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, In Press.
- Chapa, D. Akintade, B., Schron, E., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. Hospitalization and mortality in patients with atrial fibrillation: Does quality of life play a role for women or men? Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, In Press.
- Turkeltaub, P.C., Yearwood, E., Friedmann, E. Effect of a brief seated massage on nursing student attitudes to touch for comfort care, Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 0 (0): 1-8, 2014 DOI:10.1089/acm.2014.0142
- Regan, M., McElroy, K.G., Chung, S.Y., Heetderks, E., Friedmann, E., Johantgen,M. Place, provider, and timing: Factors influencing the overuse of cesarean in low-risk primigravid women. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice 4(10), 2014 DOI: 10.5430/jnep.v4n10p147.
- Hinderer, K., VanRuden,K.T., Friedmann, E., Quillan, K.A., Gilmore, R., Kramer, B., Murray,M. Burnout, compassion fatigue, compassion satisfaction, and secondary traumatic stress in trauma nurses. Journal of Trauma Nursing. 21(4)160-169, 2014.
- Chapa, D.W., Akintade, B., Son, H., Woltz, P., Hunt, D., Friedmann, E., Hartung, M.K., and Thomas, S.A. The pathophysiologic relationships of heart failure, depression and anxiety. Critical Care Nurse. 34:14-25, 2014.
- Schron, E., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. Does health related quality of life predict hospitalization or mortality in patients with atrial fibrillation? Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, 25(1) 23- 28, 2014.
- Friedmann, E., Son, H., Chapa, D.W., Lee, H-J., Thomas, S.A. Poor social support is associated with increases in depression but not anxiety over 2 years in heart failure outpatients. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 29:20-28, 2013.
- Ross, A., Bevans, M., Friedmann, E., Williams, L., Thomas, S.A. I am a nice person when I do yoga!!! A qualitative analysis of how yoga affects relationships. Journal of Holistic Nursing. First published on 10/28/2013 DOI:10.1177/0898010113508466.
- Bernstein, P.L., Friedmann, E. Social behavior of domestic cats in the human home. In Turner, D, Bateson, P. (eds), The Domestic Cat 3rd Edition: The Biology of Its Behavior. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK pp. 71-82, 2014.
- Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A., Son, H., Chapa, D.W., McCune, S. Pet's presence and owner's blood pressures during the daily lives of pet owners with pre-to mild hypertension. Anthrozoös. 26(4): 535-550, 2013.
- Kao, C.-W., Chen, T-Y., Cheng, S-M., Lin, W-S., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. Gender differences in the prediction of depression among patients with heart failure. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. First published on June 27, 2013 as DOI:10.1177/1474515113496493
- Ross, A., Friedmann, E., Bevans, M., Thomas, S.A. National survey of yoga practitioners: Mental and physical health benefits. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 21: 313-323, 2013.
- Son, H., Thomas, S.A., Friedmann, E. Longitudinal changes in coping for spouses of post myocardial infarction patients. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 35(8): 1011-1025, 2013.
- Levine, G., Allen, K., Braun,L., Christian,H., Friedmann,E., Taubert,K. Thomas, S.A., Wells, D., Lange,R. Pet Ownership and cardiovascular risk. American Heart Association Statements, Circulation, 127(3):2353-2363, 2013.
- Son, H., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. Changes in depressive symptoms in spouses of post myocardial infarction patients. Asian Nursing Research, 6: 158-165, 2012.
- Son, H., Thomas, S.A., Friedmann, E. The association between psychological distress and coping patterns in post MI patients and their partners. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 21(15-16) 2392-239, 2012.
- Woltz, P.C., Chapa, D.W., Friedmann, E., Son, H., Akintade, B., Thomas, S.A. Effects of interventions on depression in heart failure: A systematic review. Heart & Lung, 41(5), 469-483 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.06.002.
- Ross, A., Bevans, M., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. National survey of yoga practitioners: Mental and physical health benefits. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2012 ID JACM-2012-626.
- Son, H., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. Application of pattern mixture models to address missing data in longitudinal data analysis using SPSS. Nursing Research. 61:195-203, 2012.
- Saylor, J. Friedmann, E., Lee, H-J. Navigating complex samples analysis using national survey data. Nursing Research, 61:231-237, 2012.
- Gilden, R, Friedmann, E., Satler, B., Squibb, K.; McPhaul, K. Potential health effects related to pesticide use on athletic fields. Public Health Nursing, 29: 198-207, 2012.
- Adelman, R.D., Greene, M.G., Friedmann, E., Ory, M.G., and Snow, C.E. Older patients – physician discussions about exercise. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 19:225-238, 2011.
- Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A., Son, H. for the HAT Investigators. Pets, depression and long term survival in community living patients following myocardial infarction . Anthrozoos, 24: 273-285, 2011.
- Freedenberg, V., Thomas, S.A., and Friedmann, E. Anxiety and depression in ICD recipients and heart failure: A review. Heart Failure Clinics of North America, 7: 59-68, 2011.
- Thomas, S.A., Friedmann, E., Lee, H-J., Son, H., Morton, P.G. and the HAT Investigators. Changes in anxiety and depression over 2 years in medically stable patients following myocardial infarction and their spouses in the Home Automatic External Defibrillator Trial (HAT): A Longitudinal Observational Study. Heart, 97:371-381, 2011.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Research Methods
Academic & Professional Activities
- Board Member and Past President, International Society for Anthrozoology
- Editorial Board, Anthrozoos
- Scientific Advisory Board, Athena Institute for Women's Wellness
- Adjunct Professor of Public Health in Medicine, Cornell University Weill School of Medicine
- Regular Member, Graduate Faculty, University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Editorial Board, Human-Animal Interactions Bulletin