Call for Abstracts
SINI 2015 Call for Abstracts Closed
Opened: December 1, 2014
Closed: March 16, 2015
Information and Guidelines
All abstracts are to be submitted using the online submission form. Be sure to review the submission and abstract guidelines before you submit. If you have questions during this process, contact Sonia Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-706-3767.
- Review the required information and abstract guidelines.
- In the case of multiple authors, we recommend that only the primary presenter (person who will present at SINI) submit the abstract and required information.
- The primary presenter must provide the required information for all co-authors at the time of submission, whether or not co-authors plan to attend SINI. Abstracts that name co-authors, but fail to include the required information, will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Prepare your abstract as a separate Word document and have all information ready before starting the submission process.
- Select the appropriate category for your work: either an experience in the practice of informatics or a formal research project.
- Indicate your preference for a podium or poster presentation. Note: This year only one track has both paper and poster presentation options. The review committee may request that you change from your preferred presentation format to the other.
- Provide the title of your abstract as you want it to appear in the program.
- Copy and paste the text of your abstract into the box provided in the online form. The form will accept no more than 500 words. Longer abstracts will be truncated at 500 words.
- Incomplete forms, alternatively formatted submissions, emailed submissions, or faxed submissions will not be considered for review.
Abstract Guidelines & Selection Criteria
Abstracts are judged through a blind review and scoring process, in accordance with the following guidelines and selection criteria:
Statement of the Problem or Question
- Identification of the gap in knowledge or the problem in practice addressed by the project or study
- Clear, concise, statement of objectives
- Clear description of design and execution of research project or clinical project.
- Sufficient detail to provide evidence of logical consistency between the stated objectives and the approach
- Rigorous methods appropriate to the problem and objectives, for example:
- Sampling strategy, Internet search strategy, or description of convenience sample and setting
- Data collection methods or criteria for inclusion in literature review
- Analytical strategy
- Clear statement of evidence for findings or outcomes
- Logical relationship to problem or knowledge gap, objectives, and methods
- Logical interpretation of results
- Contribution to informatics knowledge and/or practice
- Potential for improving health care and outcomes
Relevance to SINI Theme and Tracks
- Strong focus on key concepts of the overall theme or an individual track
Due to the abstract deadline being extended until March 16, the primary presenter will receive email notification of the review committee's decision on or around April 6, 2015. The primary presenter is expected to relay this information to all co-authors. Winners of Outstanding Abstract awards will be notified at this time.
Presenter Commitment and Registration
Your commitment to present and a completed registration form for the primary presenter must be received on or before Saturday, May 2, 2015. Failure to register by this deadline will constitute a decline to present.
Presenters are expected to register to attend SINI, at least on the day of their presentation, and to pay their own expenses. Primary presenters selected for and committed to a presentation will receive a discounted registration rate of $345 for the entire conference. Primary presenters of the Outstanding Podium and Poster Abstract awards receive complimentary registration for all of SINI.
Guidelines for Presentations
Podium Presentations (for Track B only)
Two podium presentations are scheduled per hour. Each speaker should allocate 20 to 25 minutes for their presentation and allow an additional 5 to 10 minutes for Q & A. The total may not exceed 30 minutes. A moderator will ensure that presenters do not exceed the allotted time.
Poster Presentations (for all tracks)
Poster presenters may set up their posters between 7:30 and 8:15 a.m. Wednesday, July 22, using the stands provided. Stands will be numbered, and you will be told which stand has been assigned to you. The poster corkboard dimensions are 48 inches wide and 36 inches high. Posters should be printed on paper or other material that can be attached to the corkboard by push pins, which will be provided.
The poster sessions will take place Wednesday, July 22, from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. and Thursday, July 23, from 3:30-5 p.m. Presenters should be stationed at their posters throughout these times and plan to remove the posters immediately after the presentation on Thursday.
Awards for Outstanding Podium and Poster Presentations
Four abstracts will be chosen by the review committee to receive complimentary registrations for their respective primary presenter. Complimentary registration includes all sessions of SINI ̶ the continental breakfasts, welcome luncheon, exhibitor luncheon, poster sessions, and the 25th Anniversary Celebration. Winners will be recognized on stage during the conference and their names will appear in the SINI program. In addition, winners will be given the opportunity to have their abstracts published in the journal CIN: Computers Informatics Nursing.
Podium Presentation Abstract Awards
The research abstract judged to offer the greatest contribution to the science of nursing informatics will receive the Sharon Coleman Memorial Award.
The practice abstract judged to represent the most exemplary practice in nursing informatics will receive the Nursing Informatics Practice Award.
Poster Presentation Abstract Awards
One abstract for a research poster and one abstract for a practice poster will receive an Outstanding Poster Award. The primary presenter of each winning poster will receive a complimentary registration for SINI 2015.
Poster session and luncheon attendees will vote for a People’s Choice Award. The winner will be announced at the closing session. The winner of the People’s Choice Award will receive a complimentary registration for SINI 2016.