Veronica P.S. Njie-Carr, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, FWACN
You are here:
Assistant Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-4808
Fax Number: 410-706-0344
- Post-doctoral Training Fellowship, T32: NR007968-08 - Multidisciplinary Health Disparities Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland, 2008 -2010
- PhD, Nursing Science, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., 2007
- MSN, Nursing Education/Adult Health, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., 1996
- BSN, Nursing, Howard University, Washington, D.C., 1992
- Diploma, Nursing, Gambia College- School of Nursing and Midwifery, Banjul, The Gambia, 1985
- Njie-Carr, V. (PI). Designated Research Initiative Fund (DRIF) from the Biology and Behavior Across the Lifespan Center of Research – School of Nursing – Intramural grant. “Determinants of sustainable engagement and retention in HIV care: A pilot study.” Co-investigators - Dr. Hazel Jones-Parker and Mrs. Jamie Mignano.
- Nursing Practice: Dr. Njie-Carr’s research interests focuses on systematic cross-cultural investigations to reduce contextual and structural health disparities among women of African heritage who are at risk or living with HIV. Specifically, her research has examined cultural, social, behavioral, and biomedical factors of HIV-related disparities.
- Nursing Education: Her research interest related to nursing education is evaluation of teaching effectiveness.
Past Grant Funding
- Project Investigator (PI: Dr. Thomas LaVeist- JHUSPH). Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. NCMHHD [P60MD000214], NIH on the study: “HIV Transmission Risks among African American Partners” (2010 – 2012). $15,000
- Project Investigator (PI: Dr. Larry Chang - JHUSOM). “Formative research to evaluate the feasibility and perceptions of a smart phone intervention used by community health workers and clinic staff to improve HIV and TB care in Uganda” (2010).
- Co-Investigator (PI: Dr. Phyllis Sharps [P20MD002286] - JHUSON). Caribbean Export Center for Health Disparities and the Caribbean Exploratory NCMHD Research Center of Excellence, National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities/NIH, University of the Virgin Islands (2008-2009).
Data-Based, Peer-Reviewed Manuscripts
- Njie-Carr, V. (2014). Abused Experiences of HIV-Positive Women and Perceptions of Male Perpetrators’ Role: A Concurrent Mixed Methods Study. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 25(5), 376-391. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2013.11.002
Click here to listen to a podcast with Dr. Njie-Carr about this article.
- Clough, A., Draughon, J., Njie-Carr, V., Rollins, C., & Glass, N. (2013). “Having Housing Made Everything Else Possible”: Affordable, Safe and Stable Housing for Women Survivors of Violence.Qualitative Social Work. doi:10.1177/1473325013503003
- Chang, L., Njie-Carr, V. Kalenge, S., Kelley, J., Bollinger, R., & Alamo-Talisuna-S. (2013). Perceptions and acceptability of mHealth interventions for improving patient care at a community-based clinic in Uganda: A mixed methods study. AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV. doi:10.1080/09540121.2013.774315
- Njie-Carr, V., Sharps, P., Campbell, D., & Callwood, G. (2012). Experiences of HIV positive childbearing women: A qualitative study. Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, 23(1), 21-28.
- Njie-Carr, V., Kalenge´, S., Kelley, J., Wilson, A., Muliira, J., Nabirye, R., Glass, N., Bollinger, R., Alamo-Talisuna, S., & Chang, L. (2012). Research capacity building program for clinicians and staff at a community-based HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda: A pre/post evaluation. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 23(5), 431-441. doi:10.1016/j.jana.2011.11.002
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S. (2009). Knowledge, attitudes, cultural, social, and spiritual beliefs on health-seeking behaviors of Gambian adults with HIV/AIDS. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health, 2(2), 118-128.
- Njie, V. P. S., & Thomas, A. (2001). Quality issues in clinical research and the implications on health policy. Journal of Professional Nursing, 17(5), 233 - 242.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters/Sections
- Glass, N., Campbell, J.C., Njie-Carr, V., & Thompson, T. A. (2010). Ending violence against women: Essential to global health and human rights. Parker, R., & Sommer, M. (Eds). Global Health Handbook.
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S., & Glass, N.E. (2010). The new nurse investigator. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 21(6), 459-462. doi:10.1016/j.jana.2010.03.001
- Njie-Carr, V. (June, 2014). The Role of educators, regulators and associations in maintaining the standard of nursing and midwifery practice in The Gambia. Invited speaker: Paper presented at the Annual General Congress at the Gambia College School of Nursing and Midwifery, Banjul, The Gambia.
- Njie-Carr, V. (December, 2013).Translating Research into Practice and the Implications to Nursing Practice and Education.” Invited keynote speaker: Paper Presented at the West African College of Nursing Sub-Regional Conference, in The Gambia.
- Njie-Carr, V. (7/ 2013). The Intersection on HIV and Intimate Partner Violence: A Global Perspective. Invited - paper presented at the BIT’s Third Annual World 2013 Congress of Microbes in Wuhan, China.
- Njie-Carr, V.P. (10/ 2012). Workforce Diversity: Interrelationships between Health Disparities and the Social Determinants of Health. Invited - Paper presented at the Nemours Alfred DuPont Hospital, Wilmington, DE.
- Njie-Carr, V.P. (10/2012). Intersection of HIV and Intimate Partner Violence. Invited - Paper presented at the HIV DE Consortium in Wilmington, DE.
- Njie-Carr, V. (9/2012). HIV Risk Behaviors among Abused African American Women and Perceptions of Male Perpetrators’ Role: A Concurrent Mixed Methods Study. Paper presented at the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Washington, DC.
- Njie-Carr, V., (12/2011). Research Capacity Building Program at a Community-Based HIV/AIDS Clinic in Kampala, Uganda: An Evaluation. Paper presented at the 3rd Scientific Conference of the Scientific Society of Arab Nursing Faculties on Quality Nursing Education and Services, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Sharps, P., Njie-Carr, V., & Campbell, D. (10/2009). Faith, Courage, and Pray: Pregnant and Parenting Women’s HIV/AIDS Experiences. Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Health Disparities Conference of the Center for Exploratory Research in the United States Virgin Islands.
- Njie-Carr, V., Alamo-Talisuna, S., Nanyunja, J., & Chang, L. (7/2011). Evaluation of a research capacity building program at a community-based HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda. ePoster presented at the International AIDS Society Conference, Rome, Italy.
- Njie-Carr, V., Draughon, J., Rollins, C., Clough, A., & Glass, N., (10/2009). Safe and Affordable Housing for Women Survivors of Violence: Preliminary Findings. Poster presentation at the NINR special sessions conference in Washington, DC.
- Njie-Carr, V. P.S. (11/2007). The Development and Psychometric Evaluation of the HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs Patient Questionnaire: Preliminary Results. Poster presented at the ANAC Research Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 330/NURS 514: Adult Health Nursing
- Science and Research for Advanced Nursing Practice
- Science and Research for Nursing Practice
- Health Assessment Across the Lifespan
- Adult Health Nursing
Academic & Professional Activities
- Faculty Consultant for MSN Program, The Gambia College, School of Nursing and Midwifery through the University of the Gambia
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Nursing Measurement
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Global Specialty Committee, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Research Committee, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member, Southern Nursing Research Society
- Member, National Black Nurses Association
- Member, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, Maryland Nurses Association