Veronica P.S. Njie-Carr, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, FWACN
You are here:
Assistant Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-4808
Fax Number: 410-706-0344
- Post-doctoral Training Fellowship, T32: NR007968-08 - Multidisciplinary Health Disparities Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, Maryland, 2008 -2010
- PhD, Nursing Science, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., 2007
- MSN, Nursing Education/Adult Health, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., 1996
- BSN, Nursing, Howard University, Washington, D.C., 1992
- Diploma, Nursing, Gambia College- School of Nursing and Midwifery, Banjul, The Gambia, 1985
- Systematic cross-cultural investigations to reduce contextual and structural health disparities among women of African heritage who are at risk or living with HIV
- Specific to cultural, social, behavioral, and biomedical factors of HIV-related disparities
- mHealth interventions to address HIV related disparities
- Evaluation of teaching effectiveness
- SON Dean’s Research Scholar’s Award (PI: Njie-Carr). An Evaluation of ThE CARE Intervention Study for Aging African American Women Living with HIV
- Research Facilitation Award - Biology and Behavior across the Lifespan Center of Research (PI: Njie-Carr). Factors Associated with Aging and HIV Infection in African American Women: A Secondary Data Analysis. Co-Investigators – Dr. Kristen Stafford – UMSOM; Dr. Hazel Jones-Parker – UMSON
- SON Dean’s Teaching Scholar’s Award (PI: Njie-Carr). Evaluation of an innovative flipped classroom teaching model on course performance among first semester nursing students
- Njie-Carr, V. (PI). Designated Research Initiative Fund (DRIF) from the Biology and Behavior Across the Lifespan Center of Research – School of Nursing – Intramural grant. “Determinants of sustainable engagement and retention in HIV care: A pilot study.” Co-investigators - Dr. Hazel Jones-Parker and Mrs. Jamie Mignano.
- Project Investigator (Njie-Carr). (PI: Dr. Thomas LaVeist- JHUSPH). Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. NCMHHD [P60MD000214], NIH on the study: “HIV Transmission Risks among African American Partners” (2010 – 2012).
- Project Investigator (Njie-Carr). (PI: Dr. Larry Chang - JHUSOM). “Formative research to evaluate the feasibility and perceptions of a smart phone intervention used by community health workers and clinic staff to improve HIV and TB care in Uganda” (2010).
- Co-Investigator (Njie-Carr) (PI: Dr. Phyllis Sharps [P20MD002286] - JHUSON). Caribbean Export Center for Health Disparities and the Caribbean Exploratory NCMHD Research Center of Excellence, National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities/NIH, University of the Virgin Islands (2008-2009).
Data-Based, Peer-Reviewed Manuscripts
- Njie-Carr, V., Jones-Parker, H., & Mignano, J. (2016). “… ‘Cause I wanna live …and I am fighting to live”: Patient experiences for sustainable engagement in HIV care. Journal of Ethnographic and Qualitative Research, 10(3), 197-208.
- Himelhoch, S. & Njie-Carr, V. (2016). “God Loves Me No Matter How I Am”: A phenomenomenal study analyses of the religious and spiritual experiences of African American women with co-occurring HIV infection and depression. Mental Health, Religion, and Culture. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13674676.2016.1138934
- Njie-Carr, V. (2016). Violence experiences among HIV-infected women and
perceptions of male perpetrators’ roles: A concurrent mixed methods study. Journal of
the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. Http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2013.11.002. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2013.11.002. Click here to listen to a podcast with Dr. Njie-Carr about this article.
- Clough, A.,Draughon, J., Njie-Carr, V., Rollins, C., & Glass, N. (2013). “Having Housing Made Everything Else Possible”: Affordable, Safe and Stable Housing for Women Survivors of Violence. Qualitative Social Work. doi:10.1177/1473325013503003
- Chang, L., Njie-Carr, V. Kalenge, S., Kelley, J., Bollinger, R., & Alamo-Talisuna-S. (2013). Perceptions and acceptability of mHealth interventions for improving patient care at a community-based clinic in Uganda: A mixed methods study. AIDS Care: Psychological and Socio-medical Aspects of AIDS/HIV. doi:10.1080/09540121.2013.774315
- Njie-Carr, V., Sharps, P., Campbell, D., & Callwood, G. (2012). Experiences of HIV positive childbearing women: A qualitative study. Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, 23(1), 21-28.
- Njie-Carr, V., Kalenge´, S., Kelley, J., Wilson, A., Muliira, J., Nabirye, R., Glass, N., Bollinger, R., Alamo-Talisuna, S., & Chang, L. (2012). Research capacity building program for clinicians and staff at a community-based HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda: A pre/post evaluation. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 23(5), 431-441. doi:10.1016/j.jana.2011.11.002
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S. (2009). Knowledge, attitudes, cultural, social, and spiritual beliefs on health-seeking behaviors of Gambian adults with HIV/AIDS. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health, 2(2), 118-128.
- Njie, V. P. S., & Thomas, A. (2001). Quality issues in clinical research and the implications on health policy. Journal of Professional Nursing, 17(5), 233 - 242.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters/Sections
- Glass, N., Campbell, J.C., Njie-Carr, V., & Thompson, T. A. (2010). Ending violence against women: Essential to global health and human rights. Parker, R., & Sommer, M. (Eds). Global Health Handbook.
- Njie, V. P. S. (2002). Cirrhosis (pp. 549 – 555). In George-Gay, B., & Chernecky, C. Saunders Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A Guide for Clinical Decision Making. Saunders.
- Njie, V. P S. (2002). Renal Failure (pp. 847 – 855). In George-Gay, B., & Chernecky, C. Saunders Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A guide for Clinical Decision Making. Saunders.
- Njie, V. (2002). Gastrointestinal Specimen Collection and Gastric Lavage (pp. 98 – 101). In George-Gay, B., & Chernecky, C. Saunders Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A Guide for Clinical Decision Making. Saunders.
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S., & Glass, N.E. (2010). The new nurse investigator. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 21(6), 459-462. doi:10.1016/j.jana.2010.03.001
Primary Teaching Areas
- Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- Health Assessment Across the Lifespan
- Science and Research for Advanced Nursing Practice
Academic & Professional Activities
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Nursing and Clinical Practices
- Faculty Consultant for MSN Program, The Gambia College, School of Nursing and Midwifery through the University of the Gambia.
- Advisory Board, Faculty Mentoring Program
- Manuscript Reviewer, Religions
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
- Member, UMSON Governance Council
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Nursing Measurement
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member, Global Specialty Committee, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member Research Committee, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member, Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Member, Southern Nursing Research Society
- Member, National Black Nurses Association
- Member, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, Maryland Nurses Association