Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine
Susan Dorsey, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine
- Post-doctoral Training; Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Frederick, Maryland
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
- MS, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
- BS, West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, West Virginia
- Co-director, Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) Career Development and Training Core – 2017-present
- Co-director, University of Maryland Center to Advance Chronic Pain Research – 2014-present
- Affiliate Faculty Member, Shock Trauma Anesthesiology Research (STAR) Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine – 2010-present
Funded Grants and Contracts, Active, PI
|NIH/NINR||08/01/2018 – 05/31/2023|
|$3,073,811||Role – MPI|
|Physiological, psychological, and genomic factors that predict the transition from acute to chronic pain in patients with traumatic lower extremity fracture|
|The purpose of this study is to identify predictors of chronic pain in lower extremity fracture patients.|
|$3,853,302||Role - MPI|
|Spinal Mechanisms Underlying SCI-Induced Pain: Implications for Targeted Therapy|
|The purpose of this study is to examine whether trkB.T1 represents a therapeutic target for improving locomotor function and reducing pain in spinal cord injury and to ask whether the KFG domain of the receptor has a signaling role.|
|Omics associated with self-management interventions for symptoms (OASIS) Center|
|The purpose of this Center is to examine individual omics profiles related to resilience, motivation and capability to engage in self-management physical activity to reduce chronic pain.|
|R01NR015472-A1||Dorsey and Traub (MPI)|
|NIH/NINR||08/04/2015 - 05/31/2020|
|$2,853,727||Role - MPI|
|Mechanisms Underlying Comorbid Pain Conditions in a Clinically Relevant Model|
|The goal of this project is to gain mechanistic insight into overlapping, or comorbid, pain conditions in a rodent model of visceral pain.|
Funded Grants and Contracts, Active, Co-Investigator
|NIH/NIDCR||04/20/2016 – 3/31/2020|
|Chronic orofacial pain: genetics, cognitive-emotional factors, and endogenous modulatory systems|
|The goal of this project is to identify genetic factors that predict placebo responsiveness in TMD patients and normal volunteers.|
|NIH/NINR||08/05/2016 – 07/31/2019|
|Modeling post menopausal chemotherapy-associated weight gain|
|The goal of this project is to generate a mouse model of CI weight gain and test whether BDNF may be mechanistically involved.|
Selected Publications - Databased, Peer Reviewed
- Yang GS, Kumar SP, Dorsey SG, Starkweather AR, Kelly DL and Lyon DE (in press). Systematic review of genetic polymorphisms associated with psychoneurological symptoms in breast cancer survivors. Supportive Care in Cancer.
- Wickersham KE, Hodges TK, Edelman MJ, Song Y, Nan M and Dorsey SG (in press). Differential gene expression in erlotinib-treated fibroblasts. Nursing Research.
- Griffioen MA, Ziegler ML, O’Toole RV, Dorsey SG and Renn CL (in press). Change in pain score following the administration of analgesics for lower extremity fracture during hospitalization. Pain Management Nursing.
- Starkweather A, Julian T, Ramesh D, Heineman A, Sturgill J, Dorsey SG, Lyon D and Wijesinghe DS (2017). Circulating lipids and acute pain sensitization: An exploratory analysis. Nursing Research, Nov/Dec, 66; 454-461. PMID: 2905376
- Marmiroli P, Riva B, Pozzi E, Ballarini E, Lim D, Chiorazzi A, Meregalli C, Distasi C, Renn CL, Semperboni S, Morosi L, Ruffinatti FA, Zucchetti M, Dorsey SG, Cavaletti G, Genazzani A, Carozzi VA (2017). Susceptibility of different mouse strains to oxaliplatin peripheral neurotoxicity: Phenotypic and genotypic insights. PLoS One, Oct 11; 12(10). PMID: 29020118
- Griffioen MA, Greenspan JD, Johantgen M, Von Rueden K, O’Toole RV, Dorsey SG and Renn CL (2018). Quantitative sensory testing and current perception threshold testing in patients with chronic pain following lower extremity fracture. Biological Research for Nursing, 20, 16-24. PMID: 28735556
- Griffith KA, Zhu S, Johantgen M, Kessler MD, Renn C, Beutler AS, Kanwar R, Ambulos N, Cavaletti G, Bruna J, Briani C, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Yerges-Armstrong LM and Dorsey SG (2017). Oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy and identification of unique severity groups in colorectal cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 54, 701-706. PMID: 28743660
- Kieffer JM, Postma TJ, van de Poll-Franse L, Mois F, Heimans JJ, Cavaletti G, Aaronson NK and the CI-PeriNomS study group (2017). Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the EORTC chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy questionnaire (QLQ-CIPN20). Qual Life Res, June 20. PMID: 28634676
- Le-Radmacher J, Kanwar R, Seisler D, Pachman D, Qin R, Abyzov A, Ruddy K, Banck M, Smith EM, Dorsey SG, Aaronson N, Sloan J, Loprinzi C and Beutler A (2017). Patient-reported (EORTC QLQ-CIPN20) versus physician-reported (CTCAE) quantification of oxaliplatin- and paclitaxel/carboplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy in NCCTG/Alliance clinical trials. Supportive Care in Cancer, Jun 20. PMID: 28634656
- Matyas JJ, O’Driscoll CM, Yu L, Coll-Miro M, Daugherty S, Renn CL, Faden AI, Dorsey SG (co-corresponding author) and Wu J (2017). Truncated trkB.T1-mediated astrocyte dysfunction contributes to impaired motor function and neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury. Journal of Neuroscience. PMID: 28270575
- Griffioen MA, Greenspan JD, Johantgen M, Von Reuden K, O’Toole RV, Dorsey SG and Renn CL (2016). Acute pain characteristics in patients with and without chronic pain following lower extremity injury. Pain Management Nursing, Dec 10. PMID: 27964911
- Kim HJ, Yang GS, Greenspan JD, Downton KD, Griffith KA, Renn CL, Johantgen M and Dorsey SG (2017). Racial and ethnic differences in experimental pain sensitivity: Systematic review and meta-analysis. PAIN, 158, 194-211. PMID: 27682208
- Resnick B, Galik E, Wells CL, Boltz M, Renn CL and Dorsey SG (2016). The impact of pain management with opioids among older adults post orthopedic trauma. Pain Manag Nurs, Aug 23. PMID: 27567095
- Resnick B, Klinedinst JN, Yerges-Armstrong L, Magaziner J, Orwig D, Hochberg MC, Gruber-Baldini AL, Hicks GE and Dorsey SG (2016). Pain, genes and function in the post hip fracture period. PMID: 27283266; Pain Management Nursing, 17, 181-196
- Hertz DL, Owzar K, Lessans S, Wing C, Jiang C, Kelly WK, Patel JN, Halabi S, Furukawa Y, Wheeler HE, Sibley A, Lassiter C, Weisman LS, Watson D, Krens SD, Mulkey F, Renn CL, Small EJ, Febbo PG, Shterev I, Kroetz D, Frieman PN, Mahoney JF, Caducci MA, Kelley MJ, Nakamura Y, Kubo M, Dorsey SG, Dolan ME, Morris MJ, Ratain MJ and McLeod HL (2016). Pharmacogenetic discovery in CALGB (Alliance) 90401 and mechanistic validation of a VAC14 polymorphism that increases risk of docetaxel-induced neuropathy. Clinical Cancer Research, May 3. PMID 27143689
- Sabirzhanov B, Stoica B, Zhao Z, Loane D, Wu J, Dorsey SG and Faden A (2016). miR-711 up-regulation induces neuronal cell death after traumatic brain injury. Cell Death and Differentiation, 23, 654-668. PMID: 26470728
- Starkweather AR, Lyon DE, Kinser P, Heineman A, Sturgill JL, Deng X, Siangphoe U, Elswick R, Greenspan J and Dorsey SG (2016). Comparison of low back pain recovery and persistence: A descriptive study of characteristics of pain onset. Biological Research for Nursing, Feb16. PMID: 26883808
- Starkweather AR, Heiniman A, Storey S, Rubia G, Lyon DE, Greenspan J and Dorsey SG (2016). Methods to measure peripheral and central sensitization using quantitative sensory testing: A focus on individuals with low back pain. Appl Nurs Res, Feb29, 237-241. PMID: 26856520
- Wu J, Zhao Z, Zhu X, Renn CL, Dorsey SG and Faden AI (2016). Cell cycle inhibition limits development and maintenance of neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury. PAIN, 157, 488-503. PMID: 26797506
- Starkweather AR, Ramesh R, Lyon D, Siangphorn U, Deng X, Strugill J, Heineman A, Elswick R, Dorsey SG and Greenspan J (2016). Acute low back pain: Differential somatosensory function and gene expression compared to healthy no pain controls. Clinical Journal of Pain, 32, 933-939. PMID: 26736025
- Griffioen MA, Johantgen M, Von Rueden K, Greenspan JD, Dorsey SG and Renn CL (2015). Characteristics of patients with lower extremity trauma by improved and not improved pain during hospitalization: A pilot study. Pain Management Nursing, Nov 3. PMID: 26545732;
- Klinedinst NJ, Resnick B, Yerges-Armstrong L and Dorsey SG (2015). The interplay of behavior, pain and genetics with depressive symptoms in the elderly. Gerontologist, Jun; 55 Suppl 1: S67-77. PMID: 26055783
- Pressler SJ, Titler M, Koelling T, Riley PL, Jung M, Hoyland-Domenico L, Ronis DL, Smith DG, Leske B, Dorsey SG and Giordani B (2015). Nurse enhanced cognitive training increases serum Brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels and improves working memory in heart failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure, 21, 630-641. PMID: 25982826
- Grimm PR, Lazo-Fernandez Y, Delpire E, Wall SM, Dorsey SG, Weinman EJ, Coleman R, Wade JB and Welling PA (2015). Integrated compensatory network is activated in the absence of NCC phosphorylation. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 125, 2136-2150. PMID: 25893600
- Resnick B, Klinedinst NJ, Yerges-Armstrong L, Choi EY and Dorsey SG (2015). The impact of genetics on physical resilience and successful aging. Journal of Aging and Health, 27, 1084-1104. PMID: 25818147
- Watson AJ, Henson K, Dorsey SG and Frank MG (2015). The truncated trkB receptor influences mammalian sleep. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 308, R199-207. PMID: 255025751;
- Traub RJ, Cao D-Y, Karpowicz J, Pandya S, Ji Y, Dorsey SG and Dessem D (2014). A clinically relevant animal model of temporomandibular disorder and irritable bowel syndrome comorbidity. J Pain, 15, 956-966. PMID: 24981128
- Sabirzhanov B, Zhao Z, Stoica BA, Loane DJ, Wu Junfang, Borroto C, Dorsey SG and Faden AI (2014). Down-regulation of miR-23a and miR-27a following experimental traumatic brain injury induces neuronal cell death through activation of pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 proteins. J Neuroscience, 34, 10055-10071. PMID: 25057207
- Liu W-J, Bhalla K, Anders L, Devarakonda S, Dewi R, Buckley S, Hwang, B-J, Polster BM, Dorsey SG, Sun Y, Sicinski P and Girnun GD (2014). Cyclin D1 represses gluconeogenesis via inhibition of the transcriptional coactivator PGC1alpha. Diabetes, 63, 3266-3278. PMID: 24947365
- Bao T, Goloubeva O, Pelser C, Porter N, Primrose J, Hester L, Sadowska M, Lapidus R, Medeiros M, Lao L, Dorsey SG and Badros A (2014). A pilot study of acupuncture in treating bortezomib-induced peripheral neuropathy in multiple myeloma patients. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 13, 396-404. PMID: 24867959
- Griffith KA, Dorsey SG, Renn CL, Zhu S, Johantgen M et al (2014). Correspondence between neurophysiological and clinical measurements of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: secondary analysis of data from the CI-PeriNoms study. Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, 19, 127-135. PMID: 24814100
- Kiris E, Want T, Yanpallewar S, Dorsey SG, Becker J, Bavari S, Palko ME, Coppola V and Tessarollo L (2014). TrkA in vivo function is negatively regulated by ubiquitination. J Neurosci, 34, 4090-4098. PMID: 24623787
- Griffith K, Couture DJ, Zhu S, Pandya N, Johantgen ME, Cavaletti G, Davenport JM, Tanguay LJ, Choflet A, Milliron T, Glass E, Gambill N, Renn CL and Dorsey SG (2013). Evaluation of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy using current perception threshold and clinical evaluations. Supportive Care in Cancer, 22, 1161-1169. PMID: 24362842
- Carozzi V, Renn CL, Bardini M, Grazia F, Chiorazzi A, Meregalli C, Oggioni N, Shanks K, Quartu M, Serra MP, Sala B, Cavaletti G and Dorsey SG (2013). Bortezomib-induced painful peripheral neuropathy: an electrophysiological, behavioral, morphological and mechanistic study in the mouse. PLoS One, 8, e72995. PMID: 24069168
- Alaish SM, Timmons J, Smith A, Buzza M, Murphy E, Zhao A, Turner DJ, Shea-Donahue T, Nataro JP, Antalis T, Cross A and Dorsey SG (2013). Candidate genes for limiting cholestatic intestinal injury identified by gene expression profiling. Physiological Reports, 1, e00073. PMID: 24179676
- Wu J, Renn CL, Faden AI and Dorsey SG (2013). TrkB.T1 contributes to neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury through regulation of cell cycle pathways. Journal of Neuroscience, 33, 12447-12463. PMID: 23884949
- Bao T, Lao, L, Medeiros M, Zhang R, Dorsey SG and Badros A (2012). Improvement of painful bortezomib-induced peripheral neuropathy following acupuncture treatment in a case series of multiple myeloma patients. Medical Acupuncture, 24, 181-187. PMID: not available
- Cavaletti G, Cornblath D, Merkies I, Postma T, Rossi E et al and the CI-PERINOMS Study Group (2012). The chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy outcome measures standardization (CI-PeriNomS) study: from consensus to the first validity and reliability findings. Annals of Oncology, 24, 454-462. PMID: 22910842
- Khairallah RJ, Shi G, Sbranna F, Prosser BL, Borroto C, Mazaitis MJ, Hoffman EP, Mahurkar A, Sachs F, Sun Y, Chen Y-W, Raiteri R, Lederer WJ, Dorsey SG (co-corresponding author) and ^Ward CW (2012). Microtubules underlie dysfunction in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Science Signaling Aug 7; 5(236), ra56.§ PMID: 22871609
- Dorsey SG, Lovering RM, Renn CL, Leitch CC, Liu X, Tallon LJ, Sadzewicz LD, Pratap A, Ott S, Sengamalay N, Jones KM, Barrick C, Fulgenzi G, Becker J, Voelker K, Talmadge R, Harvey BK, Wyatt RM, Vernon-Pitts E, Zhang C, Shokat K, Fraser-Liggett C, Balice-Gordon RJ, Tessarollo L, Ward CW (2012). Genetic deletion of trkB.T1 increases neuromuscular function. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 302, C141-C153. PMID: 21865582
- Highlighted in Editor’s Choice, Science (24 August 2012: 891) and ScienceDaily (22 August 2012)
- Mei Y., Liao J., Shen J., Yu L., Liu B., Liu L., Li R., Ji L., Dorsey S.G., Jiang Z., Katz R.L., Wang J-Y, & Jiang F. (2012). Small nucleolar RNA 42 acts as an oncogene in lung tumorigenesis. Oncogene, 31, 2794-2804. PMID: 21986946
- Renn CL, Leitch C, Lessans S, Rhee P, McGuire W, Smith B, Traub R and Dorsey SG (2011). Brain-derived neurotrophic factor modulates antiretroviral-induced mechanical allodynia in the mouse. Journal of Neuroscience Research, 89, 1551-1565. PMID: 21647939
- Renn CL, Leitch CC and Dorsey SG (2009). In vivo evidence that truncated trkB.T1 participates in nociception. Molecular Pain, 29, 61. PMID: 19874592
- Carim-Todd L, Bath K, Fulgenzi G, Yanpallewar S, Jing D, Barrick C, Becker J, Buckley H, Dorsey SG, Lee F and Tessarollo L (2009). Endogenous truncated trkB.T1 receptor regulates neuronal complexity and trkB kinase receptor function in vivo. Journal of Neuroscience, 29, 678-685. PMID: 19158294
- Dorsey, SG, Renn, CL, Carim-Todd, L, Barrick, CA, Bambrick, LL, Krueger, BK, Ward, CW and Tessarollo, T (2006). In vivo restoration of physiological levels of truncated trkBT1 receptor rescues neuronal cell death in a trisomic mouse model. Neuron, 51, 21-28§. PMID: 16815329
- Highlighted in Previews (Castren E and Tanila H (2006) Neuron 51: 1-3)
Selected Publications - Non-Databased, Peer Reviewed
Dorsey SG, Griffioen MA, Renn CL, Cashion AK, Colloca L, Jackson-Cook CK, Gill J, Henderson W, Kim H, Saligan L, Starkweather A and Lyon D (in press). Working together to advance symptom science in the precision era. Nursing Research.
Schiffman RF, Dorsey SG, McCloskey DJ, Grady PA and the NINR Center Directors (2018). Evolution of the National Institute of Nursing Research Logic Model for Center Sustainability. Nursing Outlook, Sept. 8. PMID: 30297154
Dorsey SG, Resnick BM and Renn CL (2018). Precision health: use of omics to optimize self-management of chronic pain in aging. Res Gerontol Nurs, 11: 7-13. PMID: 29370441
Pressler SJ, Giordani B, Titler M, Gradus-Pizlo I, Smith D, Dorsey SG, Gao S, and Jung M (2018). Design and rationale of the cognitive intervention to improve memory in heart failure patients study. J Cardiovasc Nurs, Mar 29. PMID: 29601367
Page GG, Corwin EJ, Dorsey SG, et al (2018). Biomarkers as common data elements for symptom and self-management science. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 50, 1-11. PMID: 29575635
Moore SM, Schiffman R, Waldrop-Valverde D, Redeker NS, McCloskey DJ, Kim MT, Heitkemper MM, Guthrie BJ, Dorsey SG, Docherty SL, Barton D, Bailey DE, Austin JK and Grady P (2016). Recommendations of common data elements to advance the science of self-management of chronic conditions. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Aug 3. PMID: 27486851
Dorsey SG (2017). Selective blockade of the sigma 1 receptor has beneficial benefits on both acute and chronic oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy. Neurotherapeutics, Nov. 6. PMID: 29110212
Colaguiri B, Schenk LA, Kessler MD, Dorsey SG and Colloca L (2015). The placebo effect: From concepts to genes. Neuroscience, 307, 171-190. PMID: 26272535
Redeker NS, Anderson R, Bakken S, Corwin E, Docherty S, Dorsey SG, Heitkemper M, McCloskey DJ, Moore S, Pullen C, Rapkin B, Schiffman R, Waldrop-Valverde D and Grady P (2015). Advancing symptom science through use of common data elements. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 47, 379-388. PMID: 26250061
Conley YP, Heitkemper M, McCarthy D, Anderson CM, Corwin EJ, Daack-Hirsch S, Dorsey SG, Gregory KE, Groer MW, Henly SJ, Landers T, Lyon DE, Taylor JY and Voss J (2015). Educating future nurse scientists: Recommendations for integrating OMICS content in PhD programs. Nursing Outlook, 63, 417-427. PMID: 26123776
Dorsey SG, Schiffman R, Redeker N, Heitkemper M, McCloskey DJ, Weglicki L, Grady PA and the NINR Center Directors (2014). NINR Centers of Excellence: A logic model for sustainability, leveraging resources and collaboration to accelerate cross-disciplinary science. Nursing Outlook, 62, 384-393. PMID: 25085328
Lyon DE, Dorsey SG and Saligan L (2013). Epigenetics in research and practice. Nurs Res Pract, Epub 2013 Dec 22. PMID: 24455230
Lessans S and Dorsey SG (2013). The role for epigenetic modifications in pain and analgesia response. Nursing Research and Practice, Epub 2013. PMID: 24228176
Wang X, Lehky TJ, Brell JM and Dorsey SG (2012). Discovering cytokines as targets for chemotherapy-induced painful peripheral neuropathy. Cytokine 59, 3-9. PMID: 22537849;
Academic & Professional Activities
- Co-chair, SEP 2018/05 NRRC 71 NIH/NINR Training grant review meeting, February 15-16, 2018.
- Chair, Lasker Clinical Scholar W14 grant review panel, NIH/NINR, November 7, 2017.
- Member, Bench to Bedside grant review panel, NIH, October 27, 2017.
- Co-chair, ZCA1 SRB-A J1 S, SEP 2 for Provocative Questions, NIH/NCI, October 24, 2017.
- Member, NRRC (70) NIH/NINR training grant review meeting October 19-20, 2017.
- Member, 2017/01 ZNR1 REV-M (26) NIH/NINR T32 review meeting October 20, 2016.
- Member, NRRC (67) NIH/NINR training grant review meeting October 19-20, 2016.
- Member, NRRC (66) NIH/NINR training grant review meeting June 3, 2016.
- Member, 2016/05 ZCA1 RPRB-M (M5) S NCI Provocative Questions 9 grant review meeting April 5, 2016.
- Member, NRRC (65) NIH/NINR training grant review meeting February 18, 2016.
- Member, 2016/01 ZGM1 TRN-5 (MR) NIGMS MIRA grant review meeting November 9-10, 2015.
- Member, ZNR1 REV W13 NIH/NINR T32 review meeting October 20, 2015.
- Member, NRRC (64) NIH/NINR training grant review meeting October 19-20, 2015.
- Member, 2016/01 ZCA1 RPRB-0 (J1) S NCI Provocative Question grant review meeting September 24, 2015.
- Member, 2015/05 NRRC (62) training grant review meeting February 19-20, 2015.
- Member, 2015/01 ZNR REV W12 NIH/NINR T32 review meeting October 15, 2014.
- Member, 2015/01 NRRC (61) NIH/NINR training grant review meeting October 14-15, 2014.
- Member, 2014/01 ZRG1 OTC-K (55) R NIH Lasker Clinical Research Scholars Program (SI2) November 5, 2014.
- Member, 2014/01 ZNR1 REV W (11) Institutional Research Training Grant (T32) NIH/NINR study section October 22-23, 2013.
- Member, 2013/10 ZCA1 RPRB-C (01) P P01 NCI reviews June 14-15, 2013.
- Member, CSR SEP/SRG 2013/05 ZRG1 SBIB-V (40) P01 NIGMS reviews January 17-18, 2013.
- Member, ZRG-1-MOSS-C56 DP2 Neuroscience NIH Director’s New Innovator Award program, Phase I January 2013.
Ad-Hoc Reviewer for the Following Journals
Science Translational Medicine, Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of Pain, Cancer Medicine, Journal of the Neurological Sciences, Molecular Pain, Molecular Neurobiology, European Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, PLoS One, Experimental Neurology, Neurotherapeutics, Nursing Research, Nursing Outlook, Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Spinal Cord, Neurobiology of Disease, Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Brain Research, Journal of Neuroscience Research, Neuroscience Letters, Lung Cancer, Biological Research in Nursing, Research in Nursing and Health, Supportive Care in Cancer