Pei-Ying Chuang, PhD, MSN, RN
Assistant Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-5349
- Research Fellow, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 2010-2012
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2008-2010
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2004-2008
- MSN, University of Minnesota, Twins Cities, MN, 1995-1997
- BSN, University of Dubuque, Dubuque, IA, 1992-1994
- Chuang, P.Y. (PI). The Link between Neuroglobin and Cerebral Infarct following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS, 01/01/2014-12/31/2015).
- Chuang, P.Y. (PI). Neuroprotective Protein Concentration and Gene Expression during the Acute Phase Following Traumatic Brain Injury. Collaboration with Dr. David Okonkwo, Department of Critical Care, Brain Trauma Research Center, School of Medicine, University Pittsburgh Medical Center, University of Pittsburgh, PA (ID#59092011). (NINR; 2010-2012).
- Chuang, P.Y. (PI). Neuroprotective Protein Concentration and DNA Sequencing during the Acute Phase Following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Collaboration with Drs. Paula Sherwood, Yvette Conley, School of Nursing and Dr. Samuel Poloyac, School of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, PA (ID #5518). (NINR; 2010-2012).
- Chuang, P.Y (PI). Neuroprotective Protein Concentration during the Acute Phase following Cerebral Ischemia. Collaboration with Drs. Andrew Kofke and Robert Siman, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA (ID #5517). (NINR; 2010-2012).
- Chuang, P.Y. (PI). Genetics, Psychological Stress, and Cytokines in Oncology Caregivers. Oncology Nursing Society Foundation Small Grant (ONS, 03/31/2009-03/15/2011).
- Hsieh, C.H., Tseng, C.C., and Chuang, P.Y. (2016). Randomized Controlled Trial Testing Weight Loss and Abdominal Obesity Outcomes of Moxibustion. Journal of Advanced Nursing (SCIE).
- Hsieh, C.H., Chuang, P.Y., Hsieh, HW. (2015). Moxibustion on Weight Loss and Abdominal Obesity in Young Asian Females.
- Chuang, P.Y. Hsieh, C.H., Charles, B. (2013). Nursing Genomics: Its role in Health Trajectory. Nursing Clinics of North American Research, 632, 48(4). (Invited Journal Review, Nursing Clinics of North American)
- Hsieh, C.H., Chuang, P.Y., Su, T-J. (2013). Short Term Auricular Therapy on Weight Reduction and Abdominal Obesity in Asian Young Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Health, 5, 81-84.
- Chuang, P.Y., Conley, Y. P., Poloyac, S. M., Okonkwo, D.O., Ren, D., Sherwood, P. R., Hravnak, M., Alexander, S.A. (2010). Neuroglobin Genetics Polymorphisms and Their Relationship to Functional Outcomes Following Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Neurotrauma (27) 999-1006.
- Chuang, Pei-Ying (2002). Different Points of View on the Nursing Six Competencies among the Students and Their Clinical Managers, Yu-Pei University Health Magazine, Taiwan.
- NINR Precision Health: From “Omics’ to Data Science Boot Camp Scholar, Bethesda, NIH (2016)
- Crash Through Award at Dale Carnegie Interpersonal Skills for Success, Houston (2016)
- Junior Faculty Stroke Scholar at the NINDS funded-the Centers for Stroke Disparities Solutions in New York University/Columbia University (2014-2015)
- Nominated by students for the John P. McGovern Undergraduate Teacher of the Year Award [fall 2014 and summer 2015] • Scholar of the Mission Connect TIRR Neuroscience Foundation (2014-2016)
- Summer Pain Bootcamp Scholar, Bethesda, NINR/NIH (2011)
- Featured Research Highlight Archive, National Institute of Nursing Research (2010)
- Summer Genetic Institute Scholar, Bethesda, NINR/NIH (2010)
- University of Pittsburgh Postdoctoral Association: Board Director & Travel Grant (2009-2010) • Scientific Management and Leadership Scholar, University of Pittsburgh (2009)
- Young Investigator Award, the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) (2009)
- Jewish Health Care Foundation, Salk Scholar, Pittsburgh (2007-2008)
- Graduate Student Travel Grant Award, University of Pittsburgh (2006)
- Excellent Instructor Scholarship Award, National Teaching Institute, Taiwan (2004)
- First International Pioneer Teaching Award, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2002)
- Graduate Student Scholarship Award. School of Nursing, University of Minnesota (2006)
- Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing (1993)
Primary Teaching Areas
- NUR327 Medical-Surgical Nursing in Adult Population
- NUR429 Leadership and Clinical Practicum
Academic and Professional Activities
- Abstract Committee
- Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Conference (2014)
- American Heart Association, International Stroke Annual Conference (2010-2014, 2016)
- International Society of Nursing in Genetics (ISONG) Annual Conference (2010)
- Grant Committee
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, Research Scientific Committee (2015-2018)
- Annual Neuroscience Nursing Foundation (2010-2011)
- Manuscript Reviewer
- International Archives of Nursing and Health Care, Editorial Board Committee (2016)
- Research Autism Spectrum Disorders (2014)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, Texas Chapter, Peer Review Committee (2014-2015)
- Journal of Nursing Education Practice Editorial Review Board (2014-2016)
- Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism (2014)
- Nursing Research (2013-2016)
- Journal of Transcultural Nursing (2012-2014)
- Journal of Neurotrauma (2011, 2016)
- Oncology Nursing Forum (2009)
- Institute Review Committee
- Chemistry and Environmental Safety Committee at University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (2013-2016)
- A panel reviewer at Colorado Multiple Institutional Review Board (COMIRB) (2012-2013)