Laura Koo, MS, RN, CRNP, FNP-BC
Assistant Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-3495
- Post-Master's Certificate, Teaching in Nursing and Health Professions, University of Maryland School of Nursing, 2006
- MS, Nursing, Community Health Nursing: Family Nurse Practitioner Program, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, 2000
- BS, Nursing, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 1995
- BA, Spanish, University of Maryland College Park, College Park, Maryland, 1993
- Koo, L., Horowitz, A., Radice, S., Wang, M., Kleinman, D. (2016). Nurse Practitioners’ use of communication techniques: results of a Maryland oral health literacy survey. PLoS ONE, 11(1):e0146545. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0146545
- Carpenter, P., Koo, L. (May/June 2015). Evidence-based interventions for prevention of bone density loss after kidney transplant. Nephrology Nursing Journal, 42(3).
- Koo, L., Layson-Wolf, C., Brandt, N., Hammersla, M., Idzik, S., Rocafort, P., Tran, D., Wilkerson, R., Windemuth, B. (2014). Qualitative evaluation of a standardized patient clinical simulation for nurse practitioner and pharmacy students. Nurse Education in Practice, 14, p. 740-746. DOI: 10.1016/j.nepr.2014.10.005
- Koo, L. & McClure, K. (Eds.) (2014). Chapter 22 Gynecologic disorders. In: Nettina, S. (Ed.),Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice, 10th Edition. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkens.
- Koo, L., Idzik, S., Hammersla, M., & Windemuth, B. (2013). Developing Standardized Patient Clinical Simulations to Apply Concepts of Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Agness C., Fletcher S., Koo, L., Cornman, R. (2013). Can You Hear Me Now?: Strategies to Provide Clear Health Messages to Diverse Older Adults. MedEdPORTAL; 2013. Available from:www.mededportal.org/publication/9434.
- Koo, L. (2011). Continuing Education Offering: Preventing pediatric prescription-nonprescription drug interactions. ADVANCE for Nurses, 13(10).
- Koo, L., Reedy, S., & Smith, J. (2010). Patient history key to diagnosing peripheral edema. The Nurse Practitioner, 35(3), 44-52.
- Koo, L., Rocafort, P., Idzik, S., Hammersla, M., Layson-Wolf, C., Tram, D., & Windemuth, B. (2013, April 12). Interprofessional Education: Using Standardized Patients and Providers for Primary Care Simulation (Podium Presentation). The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties 39th Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Koo, L. & Windemuth, B. (2012, January 27). Developing Standardized Patient Clinical Simulations to Apply Concepts of Interdisciplinary Collaboration (Poster Presentation). National League for Nursing - Society for Simulation in Healthcare (NLN-SSH) Symposium on Interprofessional Education in Healthcare Simulation, preconference to the annual International Society for Simulation in Healthcare Conference, San Diego, CA.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Graduate: Adult and Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Program Diagnosis and Management Courses
- NURS 777: Diagnosis & Management of Adults Across the Lifespan
- NURS 768: Clinical Practicum for Adults Across the Lifespan
- NURS 788: Complex Clinical Practicum for Adults Across the Lifespan
- NURS 789: Advanced Diagnosis & Management for Adults Across the Lifespan
- NURS 794: Advanced Clinical Practicum for Adults Across the Lifespan
- Undergraduate: Health Assessment labs, Context of Health Care I
- Elective: Spanish for Health Care Professionals
Academic & Professional Activities
- Faculty Practice Site
- 2014-Present: University of Maryland Medical Center, Preoperative Readiness and Evaluation Center
- 2012-2013: Roland Park Place in Baltimore, MD
- 2004-2010, 2011: Governor's Wellmobile in Prince Georges County
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau
- Steering Committee Member, Health Literacy Maryland