Barbara Resnick, PhD, RN, CRNP, FAAN, FAANP
You are here:
Sonya Ziporkin Gershowitz Chair in Gerontology
Phone Number: 410-706-5178
- PhD, University of Maryland Baltimore, 1996
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, 1982
- BSN with Distinction, University of Connecticut Storrs, 1978
- Testing the Effectiveness of the Function Focused Care Intervention in Trauma Patients. NINR 6/13-5/15.
- Dissemination of Function Focused Care in Assisted Living. The Stulman Foundation.
- Testing the PRAISEDD-2 Intervention in Senior Housing.
- Evaluation Outcomes of the Patient Centered Hospital Discharge Program.
- Genetic Variability in Physical Resilience Among Older Adults.
- Exploring Volunteer Behavior Among Older Adults.
- Testing the effectiveness of the Res-Care-AL Intervention. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Interdisciplinary Nursing Quality Research Initiative. 9/08 to 9/10.
- Pilot Testing of Res-Care-Acute Care. University of Maryland Medical Systems and the University of Maryland School of Nursing Research funding. 9/08 to 9/09.
- Effects of a Hip Fracture Prevention Website for Seniors. (Nahm, E.S., Principal Investigator; Resnick, B., Co-investigator). Funded by the National Institute of Aging. Grant No. R21 AG026013. 2/15/06-1/31/08.
- Hip Fracture Recovery in Males. (Magaziner, J., Principal Investigator; Resnick, B., Co- Investigator, among many others) 9/05-9/10.
- Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center (OAIC) . (Goldberg, A., Magaziner, J., Principal Investigators; Resnick, B. Co-investigator). Funded by National Institute of Aging Grant P60 AG12583. 07/01/06-06/30/11
- The National Tuberculosis Curriculum Consortium (NTCC). (Catanzaro, A., Principal Investigator, University of California, San Diego; Resnick, B.,
Co-investigator). Funded by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute.
- Health Promotion Activities of the Older Adult. (Resnick, B., Principal Investigator). 9/98-ongoing.
- Resnick B, Galik E, Gruber-Baldini A, Zimmerman S. Understanding Dissemination and Implementation of a New Intervention in Assisted Living Settings: The Case of Function Focused Care. J of Applied Gerontology, In press.
- Resnick, B., Michael, K, Griffith, K, Klinedinst, J, & Galik E. (in press). The Impact of PRAISEDD on Adherence and Initiation of Heart Health Behaviors in Senior Housing. Public Health Nursing.
- Resnick, B., Wells, C., Brotemarkle, R. (in press). Older Trauma Patients Exposure to Therapy and Factors that Influence Therapy Opportunities. Physical Therapy.
- Resnick, B., Galik, E., Boltz, M., Wells, C. (2013). Physical Capability Scale: Psychometric Testing. Clinical Nursing Research 22(1), 7-29.
- Resnick, B., Klinedinst J, Dorsey S, Holtzman L, Abuelhiga SL. (2013). Volunteer Behavior and Factors that Influence Volunteering Among Residents in Continuing Care Retirement Communities. Journal of Housing for the Elderly.
- Resnick B, Galik E, Boltz M. (2013). Function Focused Care Approaches: Literature Review of Progress and Future Possibilities. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- Resnick B. Antipsychotic Use in Nursing Homes: Response to the Editorials by Dr. Morley and Dr. Volicer. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 14(3):222-224.
- Resnick B, Galik E, Gruber-Baldini A, Zimmerman S. (2012). Falls and Fall-Related Injuries Associated With Function-Focused Care. Clinical Nursing Research, 21 (1), 34-54.
- Resnick B, Galik E, Gruber-Baldini AL, Zimmerman S. (2012). Falls and fall-related injuries associated with function-focused care. Clinical Nursing Research, 21(1), 43-63.
- Yu-Yahiro J, Resnick B, Orwig D, et al. (2009) Design and Implementation of a Home-Based Exercise Program Post-Hip Fracture: The Baltimore Hip Studies Experience. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
- Resnick, B., Gruber-Baldini A., Zimmerman S., Galik E, Pretzer-Aboff I, Russ K, Hebel R. (2009). Nursing Home Resident Outcomes from the Res-Care Intervention. Journal of the American Geriatrics society.
- Resnick B. (2009). Promoting exercise for older adults. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 21(2), 77-8.
- Galik EM, Resnick B, Pretzer-Aboff I. (2009). Knowing what makes them tick': motivating cognitively impaired older adults to participate in restorative care. Int J Nurs Pract., 15(1), 48-55
- Young, Y. & Resnick, B. (2009). Don't worry and be positive: what helps the most in functional recovery one year after hip fracture? An exit interview. Rehabilitation Nursing.
- Resnick, B. (2008). Utilization of pen devices can improve diabetes treatment for LTC residents.Annal of long-term care. 16(11), 28-32.
Primary Teaching Areas
Academic & Professional Activities
- 1978-Present: American Nurses Association
- 1982-Present: National Gerontological Nursing Association
- 1995-Present: National Conference of Gerontological Nurse Practitioners
- 1996-Present: American Geriatrics Society
- 1996-Present: Gerontological Society of America
- 1998-Present: American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 1998-Present: American Medical Directors Association
- 1999-Present: Society of Behavioral Medicine
- 1996-2007: Eastern Nursing Research Society
- 1995-1998: National Diabetes Education Program
- 2008: Southern Nursing Research Society