Alison M. Trinkoff, ScD, MPH, RN, FAAN
Phone Number: 410-706-6549
Fax Number: 410-706-0253
- ScD, Psychiatric Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- MPH, Maternal-Child Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- BSN, Nursing, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- Principal Investigator. Nursing Home Outcomes: Contextual Factors and Regulatory Oversight of Care Providers. NCSBN. 2011-13; Total costs: $247,588
- Principal Investigator. Linking Nursing Work Environments and Patient Outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. September, 2008-2010. Total costs: $291,486
- Principal Investigator. Extended Work Schedules and Workplace Injury in Nurses. Funded by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). R01 OH07554. Total costs: $997,662. 2001-06.
- Principal Investigator. Do Organizational Factors Influence both Patient and Worker Safety? Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). R01 HS11990. Total costs: $687,651. 2001-04.
- Principal Investigator. Evaluation of YANA Intervention to reduce risky behaviors among street prostitutes. Funded by the Soros Foundation, Open Society Institute. Total costs: $62,000; 1999-2000.
- Principal Investigator. Musculoskeletal Disorders in Nurses: Organization and Physical Work Factors. Funded by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). R01 OH03702. Total costs: $614,850; 1998-2001.
- Principal Investigator. Substance Use Among Registered Nurses. National Institute on Drug Abuse. R01 DA07434. Total Costs: $1,214,731; 1993-98.
- Han, K., Trinkoff, A.M., Storr, C.L., Lerner, N., Johantgen, M., Gartrell, K. Associations between state regulations,training length, perceived quality and job satisfaction among certified nursing assistants: Cross-sectional secondary data analysis. International Journal of Nursing Studies, Jan 8, 2014. Epub: doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.12.008.
- Lerner, N.B., Johantgen, M., Trinkoff, A.M., Storr, C.L., Han, K. Are Nursing Home Survey deficiencies higher in facilities with greater staff turnover? Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, (15):102-7, 2014. Epub 2013 PMID: 24139163
- Trinkoff, A.M., Lerner, N., Storr, C.L., Johantgen, M., Han, K., Gartrell, K. Turnover, staffing, skill mix and resident care outcomes in a national sample of US nursing homes. Journal of Nursing Administration. (43):630-6, 2013.
- Bae, SH, Trinkoff, A.M., Jing, H., Brewer, C. Pilot study of factors associated with on-call hours in hospital staff nurses. Workplace Health and Safety.(61):203-211, 2013.
- Trinkoff, A.M., Johantgen, M., Lerner, N., Storr, C.L., Han, K., McElroy, K. Regulatory oversight of Certified Nursing Assistants in relation to resident outcomes. Journal of Nursing Regulation. (3): 53-59, 2013.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Lee, C.J., Trinkoff, A.M., The role of work schedules in occupational health and safety. Chapter 14 in Gatchel, R.J. & Schultz, I.Z., Eds. Handbook of Occupational Health and Wellness, Springer: New York, 2012. pp. 297-322.
- Han, K., Storr, C.L., & Trinkoff, A.M. Body mass index estimates using a categorical body weight variable:a cross-sectional secondary data analysis. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 49:1552-7, 2012. Epub: 2012 Aug 28.
- Geiger-Brown J, Rogers V.E., Han, K., Trinkoff A., Bausell, R.B., Scharf, S. M., Occupational screening for sleep disorders in 12-h shift nurses using the Berlin Questionnaire. Sleep and Breathing. 29:211-9, 2013. Epub: April 26, 2012.
- Han, K., Trinkoff, A.M., Storr, C.L., Geiger-Brown, J. Johnson, K., Park, S. Relation of job stress and obesity in nurses with favorable and unfavorable work schedules. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 54:928-32, 2012.
- Trinkoff, A.M., Geiger-Brown, J., Sleep-Deprived Nurses: Sleep and schedule challenges in nursing. Chapter in: Koppel, R and, S. (Eds.) First, Do Less Harm: Confronting Inconvenient Problems of Patient Safety. Cornell University Press, 2012.
- Geiger-Brown J, Rogers V.E., Trinkoff A, Kane R, Bausell R.B., Scharf S.M. Sleep, sleepiness, fatigue, and performance of 12-hour-shift nurses. Chronobiology International. 29:211-219, 2012.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A.M., Rogers, V. The impact of work schedules, home and work demands, on self-reported sleep in registered nurses. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53:303-307, 2011.
- Han, K., Trinkoff, A.M., Storr, C.L., Geiger-Brown, J. Job stress and work schedules in relation to nurse obesity. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41:488-495, 2011.
- Trinkoff, A.M., Johantgen, M., Storr, C.L., Gurses, A.P., Liang, Y., Han, K., Linking Nursing Work Environment and Patient Outcomes. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 2(1):10-16, 2011.
- Trinkoff, A.M., Johantgen, M., Storr, C.L., Gurses, A.P., Liang, Y., Han, K., Nurses work schedule characteristics, staffing and patient mortality. Nursing Research, 60(1):1-8, 2011.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Graduate: Research Methods, Epidemiologic and Survey Designs
- NURS 671: Epidemiologic Assessment Strategies
Academic & Professional Activities
- 2014: Researcher of the Year Award, Southern Nursing Research Society
- Present: Member, Academy Health
- Present: Member, Sigma Theta Tau
- 2005-Present: Member, National League for Nursing
- 2000-Present: Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 1991-Present: Maryland Nurses Association/American Nurses Association
- 1991-Present: Member, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
- 1991-Present: Elected as Regular Member, College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- 1988-Present: Member, American Nurses Association
- 1986-Present: Member, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- 1979-Present: Member, American Public Health Association