NACS Faculty/Staff Services
School of Nursing Network and Computer Services
The University of Maryland School of Nursing (UMSON) Network and Computer Services team (NACS) offers a variety of services and supports the Computer Teaching Theater, the Distance Education Classroom, and the Student Computer Labs. The NACS team provides support to UMSON faculty and staff with school purchased Windows-based desktop and laptop computer equipment, printers, audio-visual equipment for UMSON-hosted conferences and events, and the campus Eduroam wireless network.
Work Requests and Issues
The NACS team works UMSON faculty and staff requests and issues via work tickets created by the campus Help Desk. The campus Help Desk can be reached by phone at 410-706-4357 (6-HELP) or by email at email@example.com. Ask the Help Desk representative to open a new work ticket for you. Be sure to include details about your request or issue and your contact information. Once a ticket has been created, it will be forwarded to the NACS team for assignment.
Work Requests and Issues Response/Resolution Times
The NACS team strives to provide quality customer service. Normal business hours for the NACS team are Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. A member of the NACS team will contact faculty and staff members about their request or issue within four business hours of ticket assignment. Resolution of requests and issues is typically within one business day.
ILT Customer Service Counter
The Information and Learning Technologies Customer Service Counter provides emergency support for computer and audio-visual issues that occur during active classes and UMSON-hosted conferences and events. Faculty and staff that experience a computer or audio-visual emergency during an active class or conference/event can come to the ILT Customer Service Desk for immediate assistance. The ILT Customer Service Counter is located outside of room N207. Normal business hours for the ILT Customer Service Counter are Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm.
After Hours Emergencies
If an emergency issue arises outside of normal business hours, faculty and staff should contact the Help Desk using the procedure listed above (if contacting via phone please leave a detailed voice message). A ticket will be created and assigned the next business day morning and a member of the NACS team will contact you as soon as possible.
Distance Learning (IVN)
The UMSON NACS team schedules distance learning room 460 on a daily, monthly, or per semester basis. Room 460 is part of the UM Interactive Video Network (IVN) and can connect to compatible systems.
Guidelines / Responsibilities
The following guidelines summarize departmental and personal responsibilities associated with operating a PC at UMSON. UMSON observes the University "Responsible Computing/Rules of Use," which can be found at: www.umaryland.edu/cits.
By connecting to the UMSON network and/or using its resources, you implicitly agree to comply with these rules.
- All software must be approved and installed by the UMSON NACS team to avoid possible conflicts with virus prevention software, network settings, or other UMSON software.
- Users must be able to document that any software placed on their computer by UMSON NACS (other than the standard UMSON software package) was purchased or licensed appropriately. No one may install or use "pirated" software. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action. Deliberate violation of copyright law puts UMSON at legal risk. All software must be installed by UMSON NACS staff to avoid possible conflicts with network or other UMSON software.
- Even though UMSON routinely screens emails for the presence of viruses, users are still responsible for checking diskettes, flash drives, CDs, external memory cards (which are not supported at UMSON), and downloaded files for viruses.
- Working closely with the University, UMSON has established network and computer standards. Current lists are available at www.umaryland.edu/cits.
- Compliance with these standards enables network performance and permits faster and more effective delivery of service by the UMSON NACS team.
- Ultimate responsibility for the control and security of computer hardware, software, and data lies with the “user” or “requester.” Faculty, students, and staff must take reasonable precautions to protect their computer hardware, software, and data from damage, tampering, and theft.
- Users with access to sensitive, confidential, or privileged data must take extra precautions to protect that data from being viewed, altered, or copied by unauthorized individuals. Be aware that certain data require special protection under law (e.g., HIPAA). NACS has a segment of our network reserved for such data.
- Users are responsible for regular back-up and storage, in a secure location, of all their computer data. The UMSON NACS team will assist users in the process of identifying an individualized back-up procedure.
- Users should never share ID or password information.
Department & Area Responsibilities
- Departments within UMSON ensure that their faculty, staff, and students receive proper training in the operation and effective use of computer hardware and software.
- Users with access to sensitive, confidential, or privileged data must take extra precautions to protect that data from being viewed, altered, or copied by unauthorized individuals. Be aware that certain data require special protection under law (e.g., HIPAA).
- All departmental and/or area computer data should be regularly backed up and stored in a secure location.
- Never share ID or password information.
- Installation of software for an area or department on UMSON servers requires prior permission from the Director of Network and Computer Services and will be carried out by the UMSON NACS team.
Note: UMB and UMSON reserve the right to audit user compliance with these policies periodically.