Digital Measures is a web-based application that allows us to store and track faculty and staff activities and accomplishments. This tool reduces the time and effort spent gathering data which we provide for the numerous (and often redundant) surveys and accreditation reviews we undergo every year. Additionally, Digital Measures can help us to organize and manage workload data and acts as a platform through which the annual FPPRs (Faculty Progress and Productivity Reports) and Faculty Evaluations can be conducted with greater efficiency.
What is Digital Measures?
- Collects and reports faculty information in an easy to use digital format:
- Service accomplishments
- Streamlines the personnel review process for:
- Annual faculty activity reports
- Promotion and tenure
- Saves faculty, staff and administration significant time and effort
- Enables universities to promote key successes to the public and external stakeholders
We’re offering hands-on training sessions in the spring 2019 semester for new users and for those who’d like a review. Training sessions will be conducted at the following dates and times:
- Tues, 09 Apr, 10am-11am – Baltimore campus room 245
- Wed, 24 Apr, 10am-11am – Baltimore campus room 245
- Tues, 07 May, 10am-11am – Live via Webex
- Wed, 15 May, 10am-11am – Live via Webex
If you’d like to attend one of our sessions, please RSVP to:
What to do before you come to a Training Session:
- Please view at least the first two training videos (see below).
- Make sure you can get to the Digital Measures login page and that you can successfully login - use your SURFS login ID and password (the same you use to get into MYUMB).
- Select ‘Manage Activities’, and then select ‘Personal and Contact Information’ (under ‘General Information’). Make sure this information is correct. If it is not, please change what you can, and for anything you can’t change, please contact us at DL-NRSActivityInsight@umaryland.edu and let us know what needs to be fixed.
- From ‘Manage Activities’, also select ‘Yearly Data’ (also under ‘General Information’), and make sure your details are correct for the current academic year. Again, if there’s something incorrect that you can’t change, please alert us by email.
- You can also train at your own pace using the videos below. Hands-on training sessions will cover most material included in the videos, though not in as much detail.
|How to Begin||Instructional Videos|
*NOTE: Each video is only 3 to 5 minutes long
What is expected of me as a full time, permanent faculty member?
The first major task you’ll likely undertake using Digital Measures is inputting data for your annual FPPR (Faculty Progress and Productivity Report).
For the FPPR, it is important to keep in mind that for the time being, we are primarily counting on you to enter your activities relevant to the current academic year (July 1 2018 – June 30 2019).
Use the Example FPPR Form Crosswalk to as a template to see how your DM entries will populate your FPPR.
- Faculty Goals & Evaluation
Digital Measures will also be used to facilitate the annual faculty evaluation process (which does not begin until MAY). The process itself is the same as it has been in the past; Digital Measures merely provides a platform by which all materials and evaluation results can be gathered in one place.
Before you begin this process you should:
- Enter all FPPR items for the current academic year into Digital Measures (it is helpful to use the FPPR Form Crosswalk to see where in Digital Measures items should be entered).
- Use the Reports function to create and save the report titled, “Faculty Progress and Productivity Report.” (For help with this, see the How to Run Reports video.)
- Complete and save your Self Evaluation for the current academic year in the Faculty Goals section of Digital Measures. Indicate whether or not the goal has been met, and provide rationale where the goal was unmet.
- Create and save your proposed goals for the following academic year in the Faculty Goals section of Digital Measures. (See the Faculty Goals training video for more details.)
- Use the Reports function to create and save the report titled, “Faculty Goals and Annual Self-Evaluation”
- Have an electronic copy of your updated CV handy.
Once you’ve got these three documents together, please follow these steps (see the training video as well):
- From your ‘Manage Activities’ screen in DM, select ‘Faculty Evaluation’ under the ‘Annual Goals and Evaluation’ section (bottom right hand portion of the screen).
- Create an item for the current academic year if one doesn’t already exist.
- Paste or type your Self Evaluation summary into the text box provided. If there are items you’d like to report that didn’t fight into any of the FPPR areas, mention them here.
- 1. Upload your “Faculty Goals and Annual Self-Evaluation” report, “Faculty Progress and Productivity” report, and CV.
- Fill in the boxes for the Electronic Signature and Electronic Signature Date ONLY when you are satisfied that all your documents are in order and you are ready for your supervisor to begin your evaluation. You CAN leave these areas blank if you’d like to come back and finish the evaluation section later.
- Whatever you do, SAVE your work before you exit Digital Measures!
Other items to note:
- Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
Please enter ONLY non-University of Maryland affiliated activities into this screen. Any contracts, fellowships, grants and sponsored research that are already in Kuali will be automatically uploaded. This upload is run yearly (usually in April); we’ll send out an email notification to all users once the update has been completed. Once the upload has run, principal investigators should review their entries in this screen and manually add those supporting investigators who should be included.
- Optional Customizable CV Tool!
Using the information that you’ve entered or which has been loaded into Digital Measures, you can use this powerful application to arrange and display your DM ‘activities’ in almost any way you can imagine! Follow the link to view the training video: Customize Your CV
Entering Data – Best Practices
- First and foremost, please enter your activities into Digital Measures EARLY and OFTEN, especially when it comes to your FPPR data. For one thing, doing so is much easier than waiting to the end of the academic year and then having to enter everything at once. However, in addition to the FPPR, we’ll be using the information you’ve put into Digital Measures to produce data for accreditation, surveys, and other requests from both internal and external entities. Keeping your information up to date will allow us to provide the most accurate data possible at a moment’s notice.
- PLEASE – where there happens to be more than one contributor among SON faculty, only enter information if you are the principal or primary investigator/author involved. This will help to prevent duplicate entries.
- While most data will be entered by the faculty members themselves, some information is preloaded into the system (Scheduled Teaching and Academic Advising). If something is incorrect or incomplete and you are unable to change it, please contact us.