Valerie E. Rogers, PhD, RN, CPNP
Assistant Professor, FCH
Phone Number: 410-706-8091
Fax Number: 410-706-0253
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Center for Sleep and Circadian Neurobiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2011
- PhD, Nursing Science, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2009
- MS, Pediatric Advanced Practice (Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program), University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 1997
- BS, Nursing, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI, 1975
- Principal Investigator, Circadian Rhythms, Fatigue and Bright Light Therapy in Adolescent Cancer Survivors, Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation Independent Nurse Researcher Discovery Grant (2016-2018)
- Principal Investigator, Biomarkers of Airway Inflammation and Asthma Control in Children with Comorbid Sleep-Disordered Breathing, American Lung Association Biomedical Research Grant (RG-307793) (2014-2016)
- Principal Investigator, Sleep Disturbances in Neurobehaviorally Challenged Children with Sickle Cell Disease: A Pilot Study (2013-2014)
- Principal Investigator, Comparative Measurement of Periodic Limb Movements in Sleep Between Polysomnography and Actigraphy in Children with Sickle Cell Disease (2010-2011)
- Park, B.K., Nahm, E-S., Rogers, V.E., Choi, M., Friedmann, E., Wilson, M., Koru, G. A Facebook-based obesity prevention program for Korean American adolescents: Usability evaluation. (2017). Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 31 (1), 57-66.
- Park, BK., Nahm, E-S., Rogers, V.E. Development of a teen-friendly health education program on Facebook: Lessons learned. (2016). Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 30, 197-207. PMID: 26254744.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V.E., Liu, W., Ludeman, E., Downton, K., Diaz-Abad, M. (2015). Cognitive behavioral therapy in persons with comorbid insomnia: A meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 23, 54-67.
- Richards, K.C., Bost, J.E., Rogers, V.E., Hutchison, L.C., Bliwise, D., Beck, C.K., Kovach, C.R., Cuellar, N., Allen, R.P. (2015). Diagnostic accuracy of behavioral, activity, ferritin, and clinical indicators of restless legs syndrome. Sleep, 38(3), 371-380. PMID: 25325464. PMCID: PMC4335520.
- Rogers, V.E., Zhu, S., Ancoli-Israel, S., Hinds, P.S. (2014). Impairment in circadian activity rhythms occurs during dexamethasone therapy in children with leukemia. Pediatric Blood & Cancer, 61, 1986-1991. PMID 25066691
- Kauffman, K.S., Doede, M., Diaz-Abad, M., Scharf, S.M., Bell-Farrell, W., Rogers, V.E., Geiger Brown, J. (2014). Experience of insomnia, symptom attribution and treatment preferences in individuals with moderate to severe COPD: A qualitative study. Patient Preferences and Adherence, 8, 1699-1704. PMID: 25525346
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V.E., Han, K., Trinkoff, A.T., Bausell, R.B., Scharf, S.M. (2013). Occupational Screening for Sleep Disorders in 12-hour Shift Nurses Using the Berlin Questionnaire. Sleep & Breathing, 17(1), 381-388. DOI 10.1007/s11325-012-0705-3.
- Rogers, V.E., Gallagher, P.R., Marcus, C.L., Ohene-Frempong, K., Traylor, J.T., Mason, T.B.A. (2012) Capturing PLMS and their variability in children with sickle cell disease: Does ankle activity monitoring measure up to polysomnography? Sleep Medicine, 13(8):1013-20. DOI 10.1016/j.sleep.2012.06.016.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V.E., Trinkoff, A., Kane, R., Bausell, R.B., Scharf, S.M. (2012). Sleep, sleepiness, fatigue and performance of 12-hour shift nurses. Chronobiology International,29(2), 211-219.
- Rogers, V.E., Marcus, C.L., Jawad, A.F., Smith-Whitley, K., Ohene-Frempong, K., Bowdre, C., Allen, J., Arens, R., Mason, T.B.A. (2011). Periodic limb movements and disrupted sleep in children with sickle cell disease. Sleep 34(7), 899-908.
- Geiger-Brown J., Trinkoff A., Rogers V.E. (2011). The impact of work schedules, home, and work demands on self-reported sleep in registered nurses. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53(3), 303-307.
- Rogers, V.E. (2011). Living life on the dark side: Delayed sleep phase disorder. The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners 15(7/8), 23-25,30-32.
- Rogers, V.E., Lewin, D.S., Winnie, G., Geiger-Brown, J. (2010). Polysomnographic characteristics of a referred sample of children with sickle cell disease. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 6(4), 374-381.
- Resnick, B., Galik, B., Pretzer-Aboff, I., Rogers, V., Gruber-Baldini, A.L. (2008). Testing the reliability and validity of self-efficacy and outcome expectations of restorative care performed by nursing assistants. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 23(2), 162-169.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V., Trinkoff, A., Selby, V. (2008). Work schedules and stress among health professionals. Chapter 10 in: J.R.B. Halbesleben, (Ed.). Handbook of stress and burnout in health care (pp. 127-140). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Resnick, B., Rogers, V.E., Galik, B., Gruber-Baldini, A.L. (2007). Measuring restorative care provided by nursing assistants: Reliability and validity of the Restorative Care Behavior Checklist. Nursing Research, 56(6), 387-98.
- Rogers, V.E. (2007). Care of the child with an ostomy. Chapter 8 in: N.T. Browne, L.M. Flanigan, C.A. McComiskey, & P. Pieper (Eds.). Nursing care of the pediatric surgical patient (2nd ed., pp. 105-129). Boston: Jones & Bartlett Publishing.
- Rogers, V.E. (2007). Wound management in neonates, children, and adolescents. Chapter 34 in: N.T. Browne, L.M. Flanigan, C.A. McComiskey, & P. Pieper (Eds.). Nursing care of the pediatric surgical patient (2nd ed., pp. 477-493). Boston: Jones & Bartlett Publishing.
- Borkowski, S., Rogers, V.E. (2004). Similar gastrostomy peristomal skin irritations in three pediatric patients. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 31(4), 201-206.
- Rogers, V.E. Managing preemie stomas: More than just the pouch. (2003). Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 30(2), 100-110.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 723: Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Across the Lifespan
- NURS 418WB: Sleep, Sleep Disorders, and the Role of the Nurse
- NURS 418WB: Advances and Trends in Pediatric Nursing
Academic & Professional Activities
- Member, DNP Curriculum Committee
- Manuscript reviewer for several nursing and medical journals
- Member, Dissertation Committee