Assistant Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-5208
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 2016
- MSN, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea, 2012
- BSN, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea, 2008
Children Oral Symptoms: A feasibility Study of the Beneficial Role of the Oral Microbiota and Oral Health Behaviors
Sigma Theta Tau International
Epigenetic role of gut microbiota in patients receiving hemodialysis
American Nephrology Nurses Association
Longitudinal Changes in the Oral and Gut Microbiome of Individuals with Alcohol Dependence
NIH Clinical Center
Children Oral Symptoms: A feasibility Study of the Beneficial Role of the Oral Microbiota and Oral Health Behaviors, MCN Internal Grant Award
Illinois State University
Association between the structure of gastrointestinal microbial community and symptom clusters in patients with End Stage Renal Disease
Sigma Theta Tau International Xi Pi Chapter
Hemodialysis related symptoms, enteric microbiota and lifestyle factors (HEAL Study)
University Research Grant, Illinois State University Research and Sponsored Programs
Improving Faculty Simulation Competency
Nurse Educator Scholarships, Harvard Center for Medical Simulation
Dissemination of dissertation work: Temporal dynamics of gastrointestinal (GI) microbiota during pregnancy
New Faculty Startup Support, Illinois State University Research and Sponsored Programs
- Chung, S. Y., & Barnes, J., Astroth, K. (2018). Gastrointestinal Microbiota in patients receiving hemodialysis: A systematic review. Advances in Nutrition. (Accepted)
- Lockwood, M. B.*, Chung, S.Y.*, Puzantian, H., Bronas, U. G., Ryan, C. J., Park, C., & DeVon, H. A. (2018). Symptom Cluster Science in Chronic Kidney Disease: A Literature Review. Western Journal of Nursing Research. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945918808766
- Astroth, K. S., & Chung, S.Y. (2018). Focusing on the Fundamentals: Reading Qualitative Research with a Critical Eye. Nephrology Nursing Journal. 45(4), 381-385.
- Astroth, K. S., & Chung, S.Y. (2018). Focusing on the Fundamentals: Reading Quantitative Research with a Critical Eye. Nephrology Nursing Journal. 45(3), 283-287.
- Chung, S.Y., Park, B. K., & Nahm, E. (2018). Testing reliability and validity of the Korean eHealth Literacy Scale (K-eHEALS) in younger adults recruited online. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(4), e138. doi:10.2196/jmir.8759
- Chung, S.Y., Ravel, J., & Regan, M. (2018). Clinical relevance of gastrointestinal microbiota during pregnancy: A primer for nurses. Biological Research for Nursing, 20(1):84-102. (Published online September 27, 2017)
- McElroy, K., Chung, S.Y., & Regan, M. (2017). Health and the human microbiome: A primer for nurses. American Journal of Nursing, 117(7), 24-30.
- Griffith, K. A., Chung, S.Y., Zhu, S., & Ryan, A. S. (2016). Insulin resistance and inflammation in black women with and without breast cancer: cause for concern. Ethnicity and Disease, 26(4), 513–520. http://doi.org/10.18865/ed.26.4.513.
- Chung, S.Y, Zhu, S., Friedmann, E., Kelleher, C., Kozlovsky, A., Macfarlane, K. W., ... & Griffith, K. A. (2016). Weight loss with mindful eating in African American women following treatment for breast cancer: a longitudinal study. Supportive Care in Cancer, 24(4), 1875-1881.
- Friedmann, E., Galik, E., Thomas, S. A., Hall, S., Chung, S. Y., & McCune, S. (2015). Evaluation of a Pet-Assisted Living Intervention for Improving Functional Status in Assisted Living Residents With Mild to Moderate Cognitive Impairment: A Pilot Study. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 30(3), 276-289.
- Chung, S.Y.,& Nahm, E.-S. (2015). Testing Reliability and Validity of the eHealth Literacy Scale (eHEALS) for Older Adults Recruited Online. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 33(4), 150–156. (cited by 10)
- Chung, S. Y., & Staggers, N. (2014). Measuring nursing informatics competencies of practicing nurses in Korea: nursing informatics competencies questionnaire. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 32(12), 596–605.
- Regan, M., McElroy, K. G., Chung, S.Y., Heetderks, E., Friedmann, E., & Johantgen, M. (2014). Place, provider and timing: Factors influencing the overuse of cesarean in low-risk primigravid women. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 4(10), 147–154.
- Calderon, S. & Chung, S.Y. “Linking Tooth Brushing Behavior and Oral Microbiota in Children”, Sigma Theta Tau International, 45th Biennial Convention, Washington, DC, November16-20, 2019. (Accepted)
- Calderon, S. & Chung, S.Y., Mortimer, N. “Tooth Brushing Behavior in Children: A Feasibility Study on the Association between Oral Microbiota and Oral Health Behaviors”, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2019 43rd MNRS Annual Research Conference, Kansas City, Missouri, March 27-30, 2019. (Accepted)
- Chung, S. Y., & Jarvill, M. “Introduction to Debriefing in Simulation”, Mennonite College of Nursing Excellence in Nursing Education Simulation Series, with University of Campinas, Brazil, October 30, 2018. (Guest Lecture)
- Chung, S.Y. & Lockwood, M. “Symptom Clusters in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: A Review of Literature”, Midwest Nursing Research Society, 2018 Annual Conference, Cleveland, OH, April 12-15, 2018.
- Chung, S.Y. “The Connection between Honor, Courage, and Love and Scholarship”, Sigma Theta Tau International Xi Pi Chapter Induction Ceremony, November 12, 2017 (Keynote Speech)
- Chung, S. Y., & Jarvill, M. “Introduction to Debriefing in Simulation: WHAT it is, Why it is important, and HOW you do it”, Mennonite College of Nursing Excellence in Nursing Education Simulation Series, with University of Campinas, Brazil, September 22, 2017. (Guest Lecture)
- Chung, S.Y., & Gormley, M. “Transplant, not just for organs: The power of the gut microbiome”, Summer Genetics Institute, National Institute of Nursing Research, June 26, 2017.
- Chung, S.Y. “Gastrointestinal microbiota and pregnancy”, Mennonite College of Nursing Scholars Symposium 2017, Sponsored by STTI Xi Pi, April 18, 2017.
- 2019: Affiliate Member, University of Maryland Center for Research on Aging, Baltimore, MD
- 2018: New Nursing Faculty Fellowship, Maryland Higher Education Commission
- 2018: Early Career Research Award, Illinois State University Mennonite College of Nursing
- 2018: Nominee, Kathleen Hogan Teaching Excellence Award, Illinois State University Mennonite College of Nursing
- 2017: Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA), National Institute of Nursing Research
- 2017: Science Merit Award, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society – Xi Pi Chapter
- 2016: Nurse Educator Scholarship, Harvard Center for Medical Simulation
- 2016-present: Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society – Xi Pi Chapter
- 2014-2015: Graduate Plus Award, University of Maryland Graduate School
- 2013-2016: Student Research Travel Award, University of Maryland Doctoral Student Organization
- 2013-present: Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society – Pi chapter
- 2011: Proxy, International Council of Nurses (ICN) Conference and Council of National Representatives (CNR) in Malta, Korean Nurses Association, Department of International Affairs, Seoul, Korea
Academic and Professional Activities
- 2019-present: University of Maryland Center for Research on Aging, Affiliate Member, Baltimore, MD
- 2018- present: National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center Nursing Department, Special Volunteer, Bethesda, MD
- 2018-present: UMSON Organizational Systems and Adult Health Department meetings, member
- 2018-present: UMSON Entry Level Course Directors meetings, member
- 2017-2018: MCN International Committee, Committee Member
- 2016-2018: Mennonite College of Nursing Tenure/Tenure Track meetings, member
- 2016-2018: College Council, member
- 2016-2018: Clinical Simulation Initiatives Committee, Committee Member
- 2016-2018: Pre-licensure Curriculum Committee, Committee Member
- 2016-2018: PROUD (Pre-entry & Retention Opportunities for Undergraduate Diversity), Mentor
- 2014-2015: Social Chair, Doctoral Student Organization, University of Maryland
School of Nursing, Baltimore MD
- 2014-2015: Meeting Leader, PhD Students Lunch and Learns, Center for Biology and Behavior Across the Life Span (BBAL), University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore MD
- 2017-present: American Nephrology Nurses Association
- 2017-present: International Society of Nurses in Genetics
- 2016-present: Midwest Nursing Research Society (Physiology, Behavior, Genomics & Society RIG)
- 2017-present: International Nursing Association of Clinical Simulation and Learning
- 2016-present: Sigma Theta Tau International- Xi Pi Chapter
- 2014-present: Sigma Theta Tau International- Pi Chapter
- 2018: American Journal of Nursing
- 2018: Biological Research for Nursing
- 2017: PLOS ONE
- 2017: Informatics for Health and Social Care
- 2017: Japan Journal of Nursing Science
- 2016: Research for Biological Sciences
- 2016: Western Journal of Nursing Research