Rosemary F. Riel, MAA
Clinical Instructor, PPEP
Associate Director, Office of Global Health, PPEP
Phone Number: 410-706-0403
Fax Number: 410-706-0190
- MAA, Master of Applied Anthropology, University of Maryland College Park, 2002
- BA, Anthropology and Folklore minor, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 1997
- Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, CHINA, Spring 1997
Professional interests include qualitative research and implementation science for collaborative project design, training, monitoring and evaluation. I am dedicated to global health initiatives targeting prevention, education and local capacity building. I seek opportunities to center equity and social justice in health promotion and integrate community-based frameworks into public health practice. Areas of expertise: gender, adolescent reproductive health, HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support, health care workforce and health systems strengthening through global nursing education, leadership and advocacy.
- Taylor, S., R. Simango, Y. Ogbolu, R. Riel, D. Riedel, E. Musabeyezu. (2016). Hepatitis C Treatment Outcomes in Kigali, Rwanda. Annals of Global Health, 82(3):562. DOI: 10.1016/j.aogh.2016.04.510.
- Johnson, J.V., Y. Ogbolu, R. Riel, M. Moen, A. Brenner. (May 10, 2014). Building Institutional Capacity for Sustainable Global Health Nursing Partnerships: A Case Study, in The Lancet Global Health 2(S1), Consortium of Universities for Global Health 5th Annual Conference. DOI: 10.1016/S2214-109X(15)70062-8.
- Johnson, J. V., R.F. Riel, Y. Ogbolu, M. Moen, A. Brenner, and E. Iwu. (2014). Organizational Learning and the Development of Global Health Educational Capabilities: Critical Reflections on a Decade of Practice. The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 42 Suppl 2(s2): 50–59. DOI: 10.1111/jlme.12188.
- Pham, Van, H. Nguyen, L.H. Tho, T. T. Minh, P. Lerdboon, R. Riel, M. Green, L. Kaljee. (2012). Evaluation of Three Adolescent Sexual Health Programs in Ha Noi and Khanh Hoa Province, Viet Nam. AIDS Research and Treatment, Volume 12, Article ID 986978, 12 pages DOI: 10.1155/2012/986978.
- Kaljee, L.M., Green, M., Lerdboon, P., Riel, R., Pham, V., Tho, L.H., Ha, N.T.V., Minh, T.T., Li, X., Chen, X. & Stanton, B. (2011). Parent-youth communication and concordance between parents and adolescents reported engagement in social relationships and sexually intimate behaviors in Ha Noi and Khanh Hoa Province Viet Nam. Journal of Adolescent Health 48(3): 268-274. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.06.021.
- Kaljee, L.M., Green, M., Zhan, M., Riel, R., Lerdboon, P., Lostutter, T.W., Tho, L.H., Luong, V.V. & Minh, T.T. (2011). Gender, alcohol consumption patterns, and engagement in sexually intimate behaviors among adolescents and young adults in Nha Trang, Viet Nam. Youth & Society 43(1): 118-141. DOI: 10.1177/0044118X09351285.
- Sur, D., Manna,B., Chakrabarty, N., Kaljee, L.M., Riel, R., Pach, A., Kanungo, S., Deen, J., Ochiai, R.L., Clemens, J.& Bhattacharya, S.K. (2009). Vaccine Desirability during an Effectiveness Trial of the Typhoid Fever Polysaccharide Vi Vaccine, Kolkata, India. Human Vaccine 5(9):614-620. DOI: 10.4161/hv.9313.
- Lerdboon, P., Pham, V., Green, M., Riel, R., Tho, L.H., Ha, N.T.V. & Kaljee, L.M. (2008). Strategies for Developing Gender-Specific HIV Prevention for Adolescents in Viet Nam. AIDS Education and Prevention 20(5): 384-398. DOI: 10.1521/aeap.2008.20.5.384.
- Kaljee, L.M., Green, M., Riel, R., Lerdboon, P., Tho, L.H., Thoa, L.T.K. & Minh, T.T. (2007). Sexual stigma, sexual behaviors, and abstinence among Vietnamese adolescents: implications for risk and protective behaviors for HIV, STIs, and unwanted pregnancy. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 18(2): 48-59. DOI: 10.1016/j.jana.2007.01.003.
- Kaljee, L.M., Genberg, B., Riel, R., Cole, M., Tho, L.H., Thoa, L.T.K, Stanton, B., Li, X., & Minh, T.T. (2005). Effectiveness of a theory based risk-reduction HIV prevention program for rural Vietnamese adolescents. AIDS Education and Prevention 17(3): 185-199. DOI: 10.1521/aeap.220.127.116.11534.
- Koons, A., J.V. Johnson, R. Riel, M. McNeil. (August 2010). Mental Health Nursing in Latin America: Trends in Workforce Development. Report PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center for Mental Health Nursing Report. Office of Global Health, University of Maryland School of Nursing, August 15, 2010, pages 1 -104.
- Johnson, J.V., Iwu, E.N., Riel, R., Ogbolu, Y. & Moen, M. (January 2010). Preparing Nurses for Leadership Roles in Global Health: The University of Maryland School of Nursing’s New Post-Master’s Certificate in Global Health. Nursing and Midwifery Links: Official Publication of the Global Network of WHO Collaborating Centers for Nursing and Midwifery Development, page 38-39.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Course Coordinator, Global Health Field Experience (2010-current)
- Instructor, Global Health Seminar (2010-current)
- Instructor, Critical Issues in Global Health (2016-current, Course Coordinator 2008-2010)
- Instructor, Essentials and Practice in Global Health Nursing, web-based course (2011-2016)
- Instructor, Health Systems and Population Health, web-based course (2011-2012)
- Course Coordinator, Society, Health and Social Justice (2009-2010)
Academic & Professional Activities
- Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA)
- American Anthropology Association (AAA)