Anita J. Tarzian, PhD, RN
Associate Professor, FCH
Phone Number: 410-706-1126
Fax Number: 410-706-0253
- PhD, Nursing and Ethics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 1998
- MS, Intercultural Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 1995
- BSN, Nursing, Rush University, Chicago, IL, 1986
- BA, Biology, Knox College, Galesburg, IL, 1984
- Research interests include palliative care, end-of-life care, pain management, clinical ethics, and research ethics.
- Kodish, E., Fins, J.J., Braddock, C. 3rd, Cohn, F., Dubler, N.N., Danis, M., Derse, A.R., Pearlman, R.A., Smith, M., Tarzian, A., Youngner, S., Kuczewski, M.G. (2013). Quality Attestation for Clinical Ethics Consultants: A Two-Step Model from the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities. The Hastings Center Report, 43(5):26-36.
- Tarzian, A.J. and the ASBH Core Competencies Update Task Force (2013). Health care ethics consultation: An update on core competencies and emerging standards from the American Society For Bioethics and Humanities' core competencies update task force. The American Journal of Bioethics, 13(2):3-13.
- Carrese, J.A., Antommaria, A.H., Berkowitz, K.A., Berger, J., Carrese, J., Childs, B.H., Derse, A.R., Gallagher, C., Gallagher, J.A., Goodman-Crews, P., Heesters, A., Jurchak, M., Mitchell, C., Mokwyune, N., Parsi, K., Powell, T., Powderly, K.E., Rosell, T., Shelton, W., Smith, M.L., Spike, J., Tarzian, A., Wocial, L. (2012). HCEC pearls and pitfalls: Suggested do's and don't's for healthcare ethics consultants. The Journal of Clinical Ethics, 23(3):234-40.
- Tarzian, A.J. & Schwarz, J.K. (2010). Ethical Aspects of Palliative Care. In M. Matzo & D.Sherman’s Palliative Care Nursing: Quality Care to the End of Life. New York: Springer.
- Tarzian, A.J. (2009). Credentials for clinical ethics consultation - Are we there yet? HEC Forum, 21(3), 241-248.
- Tarzian, A.J. (2008). Exploring diversity and disparities: an evolving journey. In W.J.E. Pinch & A. M. Haddad (Eds.) Nursing and Health Care Ethics: A Legacy and a Vision, Silver Spring, MD: American Nurses Association, pp. 243-254.
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 320 Nursing Research (Course Coordinator)
- NURS 418 End-of-Life
Academic & Professional Activities
- Program Coordinator, Maryland Health Care Ethics Committee Network, Law & Health Care Program at the UM Carey School of Law
- Member and immediate-past-chair, Clinical Ethics Consultation Affairs Standing Committee, American Society for Bioethics & Humanities
- Chair, Chesapeake IRB, Chesapeake Research Review, Inc., Columbia, MD
- Lay member, Maryland Judicial Ethics Committee