Dear Fall 2021 BSN Graduates,
You may have heard about Gov. Hogan’s request to have an early exit for any nursing students who are able to respond to the nurse staffing crisis in Maryland. As the largest nursing school in Maryland (and one of the largest in the nation), UMSON has responded to the governor’s request each semester during the pandemic by providing an early exit, an important effort aligned with UMSON’s responsibility to increase the nursing workforce.
Please find below instructions regarding the early exit for fall 2021; it is very important that you review it carefully. All graduating BSN students will be given an early exit as early as Nov. 19, provided successful completion of your fall courses. Should you have questions about individual course requirements, please contact your instructor directly.
Academic administrators will meet with your class next week to answer any questions.
Associate Dean for Student and Academic Services
University of Maryland School of Nursing
Entry-Into-Practice BSN COVID-19 Early-Exit Plan
October 4, 2021
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s request, and our own situational awareness of our students’ readiness, UMSON will require an early exit for entry into-practice Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) students who are scheduled to graduate on Dec. 23, 2021, from the University of Maryland, Baltimore as detailed below:
- Successful fall 2021 graduates will be given an early exit from the BSN program on either Nov. 19 or Dec. 1, 2021, dependent upon completion of NURS 429 practicum hours, successful completion of NURS 421, and elective coursework if appropriate. Please review each item below to determine when you will exit, as well as pertinent graduation requirements:
- NURS 429 – Practicum
- Early-start and first-rotation practicum students who have completed 100 or more hours of practicum and additional required simulation will finish instruction and exit early on Nov. 19.
- Second-rotation practicum students who have completed 100 or more hours of practicum and additional required simulation will finish instruction and exit early on Dec. 1.
- NURS 421 – Community Health
- All coursework must be submitted by the early exit date as designated above, and all students must pass the final examination, which will be administered on Nov. 23.
- NURS Elective
- All coursework must be submitted by the early exit date as designated above.
- Students may continue accessing all UMSON and UMB services (Student Success Center, BlackBoard, student health services, student counseling, V-Sim, Kaplan, etc.), as they are still enrolled until degree conferral on Dec. 23, 2021.
- Grades for all courses will be evaluated as reflected by the student’s achievement as of the early exit date.
- All grades must be passing (C or better) and other graduation requirements met.
- A notation will be made on the student’s transcript that they received an early exit to respond to the pandemic.
- Once program requirements are completed, the UMSON Office of the Registrar and Student Placements will provide a letter to successful students indicating that they have met the program requirements early due to the COVID-19 pandemic and that they must ensure their employer allows them to be available for the required Kaplan review scheduled for Dec. 13 - 15, 2021, so they can be certified to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam. Failure to complete the review course will make graduates ineligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam.
- Students will receive communications about the need to focus on preparing for the NCLEX-RN exam.
- Students are strongly encouraged to take the NCLEX-RN exam as soon as possible.
Additional questions should be directed to the BSN program director, Dr. Jana Goodwin at email@example.com