Dear faculty and staff,
I am writing regarding how the School of Nursing will adjust our operation in response to COVID-19. Today (Friday, March 7), I held a number of meetings to sort through the array of issues that need to be addressed. On Monday afternoon I will be sharing with you UMSON’s plan for ongoing delivery of our academic programs and the timeline for implementing changes in delivery. Please proceed with Monday and Tuesday classes, labs, simulation and clinicals as you normally would.
I am pleased to let you know that UMSON now has a COVID-19 website (https://www.nursing.umaryland.edu/covid19/). We will continue to build out this website in the days to come. I would ask that you monitor both the UMSON and UMB COVID-19 (https://www.umaryland.edu/coronavirus/) websites at least two times a day for new information. As noted on the websites, I would ask that you encourage students, as well as faculty and staff, to follow the following recommendations:
- Avoid, when possible, close contact with sick people.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid shaking hands.
- Maintain social distances of at least 6 feet.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
- Only wear a facemask if you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Use a 60% (or more) alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
If you have questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to me, the academic deans, or your supervisors. It is important that we keep our lines of communication open as we navigate this public health emergency.
Jane Kirschling, PhD, RN, FAAN
Dean and Professor
University of Maryland School of Nursing