Dec. 4, 2020: Practicum Students and CNL Community Health - January and December
Dear Graduating Spring 2021 BSN and CNL students,
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact higher education and nursing education, with a second large surge of ill patients affecting nurse staffing at our partner agencies and institutions. This surge is expected to increase over the coming months and continue into spring, which may impact our ability to secure enough acute care clinical experiences and potentially delay completion of your academic requirements.
To ensure all our May 2021 graduating students can graduate on time, we were given permission by the University of Maryland, Baltimore to allow BSN and CNL students to participate in clinical experiences EARLY to count for their spring 2021 practicum (NURS 429 or NURS 523) course beginning Monday, Dec. 14, 2020.
This option is entirely voluntary and is not a requirement. However, we are strongly encouraging May 2021 graduates to consider the opportunity. UMSON cannot guarantee hospitals remain open to students for clinical completion throughout the spring semester.
Priority for this December/January clinical option is dependent on clinical site availability. Students will be placed on a first-come, first served basis in a medical/surgical or acute care unit as clinical sites are identified.
Participating students must have a COVID-19 test completed no earlier than Monday, Dec. 14, 2020, and have it uploaded to CastleBranch by Friday, Jan. 8, 2021.
What does this mean to me?
- You need to be readily available in December and January, including on holidays, to complete your clinical hours.
- You will begin your clinical experience as soon as Monday, Dec. 14, 2020, and no later than Monday, Dec. 21, 2020.
- You will follow your preceptor’s work schedule during the clinical experience, and 120 hours of clinical experience must be completed by Sunday, Jan. 31, 2021.
- You will complete other course requirements during the spring 2021 semester (e.g., virtual simulation, didactic content, assignments).
I’m interested! Now what do I do?
- To be considered for this option, you must register for this new section by Monday, Dec. 14, 2020. Registration for this December/January clinical option is open.
- You need to drop your current practicum section in SURFS and register for the appropriate new section:
- Baltimore BSN NURS 429: CRN 28435
- Shady Grove BSN NURS 429: CRN 28436
- CNL NURS 523: CRN 28437
If we are not able to place all interested students in the December/January clinical option, you will be assigned a clinical experience in late January at the semester start.
Please know that we are committed to working with all nursing students to support their academic progression during these challenging times.
Monday, Dec. 7, 2020
12:30 - 12:45 p.m.
Maeve Howett, PhD, APRN, CPNP-PC, IBCLC, CNE
Professor and Associate Dean for the Baccalaureate Program
Bim Akintade, PhD, MBA, MHA, ACNP-BC, NEA-BC, FAANP
Associate Professor and Associate Dean for the MSN Program