Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholar Program
Doctoral students: You have the opportunity to receive $20,000 in financial assistance.
Thanks to The Jonas Center for Nursing and Veterans Healthcare, doctoral students—DNP and PhD—who commit to a career as nursing faculty or as a leader in primary care are eligible to receive:
- financial assistance
- leadership development
- networking support.
Jonas Scholars receive a total of $10,000 over two academic years from the Jonas Center for Nursing and Veterans Healthcare, and the University of Maryland School of Nursing matches that amount, bringing the total scholarship amount to $20,000. Funds can be used to support tuition, fees, books, and living expenses.
Priority Research/Clinical Areas
Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholars
The Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholar Program aims to increase the number of doctorally prepared nurses to teach in nursing schools nationwide and of advanced practice nurses to provide direct patient care.
- aging/geriatrics/long-term care
- cardiac disease/stroke
- community health/public health/epidemics
- global health
- palliative care/pain/hospice
- psychiatric-mental health/alcohol and substance abuse
- respiratory disease
- women’s and children’s health
- health systems/patient safety/quality
- policy and leadership education/interprofessional education
Jonas Veterans Healthcare Program
The Jonas Veterans Healthcare Program aims to increase the number of advanced practice nurses and faculty who are trained specifically in the unique needs of our veteran population.
- psychiatric-mental health/depression/suicide prevention
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- women and families
To be considered, applicants must:
- be a DNP or PHD student in good academic standing
- commit to a career as nursing faculty or as a leader in primary care
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its territories at the time of receiving the scholarship
- agree to attend required conferences and submit updates while enrolled in the program.
The Jonas application cycle is currently closed. Please check back for updates.
About the Jonas Center for Nursing and Veterans Healthcare
The Jonas Center for Nursing and Veterans Healthcare is dedicated to building the effectiveness of America’s professional nurses in four key ways:
- Improving Veterans Healthcare: The Jonas Veterans Healthcare Program
- Developing Outstanding Nursing Faculty and Clinical Leaders: The Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholar Program
- Fostering Nursing Leadership: Convening Nurse Leaders at Major National Events
- Sparking Innovative Practice and Approaches: Far-Reaching Nursing Initiatives