I need early consideration for your program. Can you review my application before the deadline?
Military applicants seeking a decision outside of their program of interest stated review cycle may request an early review of their application by the Admission Committee. The request for early review does not guarantee that the Admissions Committee will be able to grant an early decision. Individuals requesting an early review should:
- Review the School of Nursing website to determine deadlines, timelines, and required application materials.
- Submit an application and all required application materials.
- Email the Office of Admissions and Student Scholarships to request the early review of your application packet; the Office of Admissions and Student Scholarships will not consider any requests until all required application materials have been submitted and an applicant’s online status reflects Complete Ready for Review. (Note that applicants may check their application status at any time via the Admissions Dashboard.) The email request submission must include:
- Applicants name
- Applicants ID #, @00xxxxxxx
- Degree and/or program the applicant has applied to and the term
- Date the decision is requested by; please note that we require at least 10 business days to review requests
- Copy of orders or a letter of explanation from your commanding officer why an early decision is necessary.
Applicants will be notified within 10 business days if the request for early review can be accommodated. If the request cannot be accommodated, the applicant will be reviewed during the normal review cycle.
Can I be considered for in-state classification?
Military applications can be considered for in-state classification. Please refer to the Office of Registrar's Residency web pages.
Can I use competency-based education and prior learning to fulfill prerequisite and degree requirements?
Military applicants may use Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) scores to fulfill prerequisite requirements. Please contact the Office of Admissions and Student Scholarships to determine the required score for each of the respective subject/content areas.
UMSON does not accept competency-based education and prior learning to fulfill nursing degree requirements.
Where can I find more information about the education benefits available to veterans?
You can visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website or contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-Bill-1) and speak with a veterans benefits counselor.
What VA Benefit Program should I choose and what is the payment rate?
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has a comparison of VA education benefit programs and payment rates. It is recommended that before choosing a program you consult with your veterans benefits counselor through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
How do I apply for VA education benefits?
After consulting with your veterans benefits counselor, apply for benefits online.
If I will be using Chapter 31 benefits (Vocational Rehabilitation program), what guidelines must I follow?
Chapter 31 veterans are evaluated through the Baltimore Regional Veterans Office. Upon completion of the evaluation and determination of eligibility is established, a purchase order, VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status Form), will be provided to the school and the student. The school can only certify the student for the specific program and dates listed on the VA Form 28-1905. Please call the Baltimore Regional Veterans Affairs Office at 1-800-827-1000 for inquiries.
How will I know if my enrollment certification has been approved by UMSON?
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org confirming the date of your certification.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) hasn’t received my VA payment yet. What should I do about my student bill?
UMB Student Accounting will notify you of your pending VA payment. Kia Partlow, UMB accountant, is available to assist with questions about your bill and VA payment. You can contact Kia at 410-706-1337.
How long does it take for the VA to submit payment to UMB once I’m certified?
The VA takes 6-9 weeks to process your certification once the School of Nursing files it electronically.
Who do I notify if I add or drop classes?
You must notify email@example.com any time your enrollment status changes.
How can non-residents qualify for in-state status?
Members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Marines are eligible for in-state tuition. If you are an active, full-time member of the Armed Forces, are stationed in the state of Maryland, and have the appropriate documentation, you are eligible for in-state tuition charges. The UMB Office of the Registrar determines in-state status.
Who will provide me with my book stipend?
The VA will pay you directly for the book stipend and, if applicable, the housing allowance.
How will I receive my "kicker" if I am eligible?
The VA will automatically pay the "kicker" funds once they have processed your semester enrollment certification. Please contact the VA directly if you have any questions concerning this funding.
Will the VA reimburse me for taking the NCLEX exam?
Yes, the VA offers reimbursement for licensing and certification.
How many months of VA education benefits do I have remaining?
To find out, you must contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-Bill-1) or visit www.gibill.va.gov.
Where do I submit my Tuition Assistance forms?
The Tuition Assistance forms must be submitted to UMB Accountant Kia Partlow. You can contact Kia at 410-706-1337.
Please visit the VA FAQ page for more information specific to your benefits.
I am applying to UMSON and the Nurse Enlisted Commissioning Program (NECP). Can I request an early decision to meet the NECP deadline? What are the requirements?
Effective fall 2022, military personnel requesting a decision outside of the normal period must meet all requirements and complete all steps listed below.
- Fall deadline: Dec. 1
All applications will be reviewed starting Dec. 1 and all decisions will be released by December 15.
- Spring deadline: July 1
All applications will be reviewed starting July 1 and all decisions will be released by July 15.
Applicants who are applying to the UMSON and the NECP must:
- Meet UMSON requirements regardless of NECP requirements and or deadlines/timeframes
- Early decision requests must come with orders/reason an early decision is necessary and completed Form 48 if applying for NECP all in one email (courses on Form 48 should be listed in the same order as the Prerequisite Course List).
- Must complete full UMSON application by the NECP deadline or earlier
- If admitted provisionally you will not get a letter stating you met all requirements until we receive proof via official transcript
- Those who receive an early decision must comply with the 14 day confirmation deadline
- Failure to submit all documents and not list all schools attended will result in your request for an early decision being denied
- The reviewing committee will not consider incomplete files or late requests
- A deferral is not granted in the case of not being accepted to the NECP