The NLI is designed to:
- build leadership capacity within Maryland nursing faculty and clinicians
- facilitate partnerships between faculty and clinicians for developing strategies that shape effective health care systems
- prepare a nursing workforce to assume roles within these evolving systems.
Applications for the 2021 - 22 cohort are now being accepted.
The Nurse Leadership Institute (NLI) is a yearlong leadership development program that prepares nurses to assume leadership positions. NLI nurses aim to become full partners in developing health care delivery models that improve health outcomes for Maryland residents. Nurses selected for this program demonstrate the leadership potential needed for this challenge.
As an NLI Fellow, you will:
- become members of an NLI cohort
- develop your personal strengths, identify and strengthen your leadership competencies, and create an individualized develpment plan for continued leadership development
- hear from national health care leaders and NLI alumni
- take part in psychometric self-assessments with professional coaching
- complete on a leadership collaboration activity that translates your skills into action
- earn Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) contact hours.
The program includes:
- yearlong, one-on-one mentorship with a mentor you select
- monthly virtual leadership meetings covering a variety of leadership topics
- three in-person sessions, including a two-day intensive leadership training
Each year, the program offers grant-funded support for up to 50 Maryland nurses.
The program is funded by Maryland Higher Education Commission through the Nurse Support II program. This funding allows us to offer the NLI program to selected fellows at no cost to them.
Applications are welcomed from eligible nurses from:
- Maryland schools of nursing
- Maryland hospitals
- Maryland health care delivery systems