The CNL role was developed by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing in 2003 to address the critical need to improve the quality of patient care outcomes. A CNL helps solve complex health care challenges via an advanced degree and collaborates with health care providers from other disciplines to ensure the most effective and efficient care possible.
Earn your bachelor’s degree at University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) and make a smooth transition to our nationally top-ranked Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) Option to launch your career as a nurse.
You’ll know early on during your undergraduate studies that you’ve been admitted to our CNL program, so you can plan your pathway to your master’s degree easily and effectively, and you’ll be advised to ensure you take the correct prerequisite courses at the appropriate time.
Your application fee will be waived!
This option is for students who want to:
- have a four-year undergraduate experience and plan to become a nurse
- earn a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree
How it works:
- Complete your bachelor’s degree in any undergraduate major and seven CNL prerequisite courses at UMBC.
- Get a guaranteed seat at UMSON, where you’ll complete your master’s degree.
- Successful completion of 45 undergraduate credits at UMBC
- A cumulative 3.0 GPA and a 3.0 science GPA
- Interview at UMSON
One semester (not including summer) prior to matriculation, you must meet with Kelly Simer (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will assist you with declaring your intent to enroll in the pathway and with applying.
- General Chemistry with Lab
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab
- Microbiology with Lab
- Human Growth and Development