We’re forming a new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Council of elected members:
- 4 staff
- 4 faculty
- 3 students.
Nominations and elections will be in September and October 2021.
We promote the School of Nursing's commitment to diversity and inclusion by ensuring that equity, cultural humility, and inclusive excellence are guiding principles in every aspect of the School's activities. The Council seeks to include a diverse group of members representing the diversity of UMSON.
Our current DEI Committee will convert into an elected body, the DEI Council, as an integrated structure within UMSON Shared Governance. After the election to the body, the DEI Council will elect its first co-chairs and secretary from its regular members.
You may self-nominate or nominate a colleague by Sept. 22, 2021 at 9 a.m.
4 Staff Members
- 2 staff for a 2-year term (eligible for re-election for one 2-year term)
- 2 staff for a 1-year term (eligible for re-election for two 2-year terms)
Email Terria McClain at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about staff elections.
4 Faculty Members
- 2 faculty for a 2-year term (eligible for re-election for one 2-year term)
- 2 faculty for a 1-year term (eligible for re-election for two 2-year terms)
- At least one faculty member must be from the Universities at Shady Grove.
Email Arpad Kelemen at email@example.com if you have any questions about faculty elections.
3 Student Members
All students will serve a 1-year term. Graduate students are eligible for re-election.
- 1 doctoral student (PhD or DNP)
The election will be facilitated by the Doctoral Student Organization (DSO).
Email DSO president Keisha Bates at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- 1 master's student (MSN)
The election will be facilitated by the Graduate Nursing Association (GNA).
Email GNA president Molly Tiwari at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- 1 bachelor's student (BSN)
The election will be facilitated by the Nursing Student Government Association (NSGA) for the first year and the University of Maryland Association of Nursing Students (UMANS) for the second year.
Email NSGA president Jessica Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Email Laura El Shafei email@example.com if you have any general questions about student elections.
- Elected regular members of the DEI Council will be expected to attend and participate in monthly meetings. Meetings will be hybrid in-person/web-conferencing.
- After election to the body, the DEI Council will elect its first officers from the regular members:
- 1 staff co-chair (2-year term)
- 1 faculty co-chair (1-year term the first year only)
- 1 secretary (2-year term)
- Elected officers may complete their term of office, even if elected to serve a shorter term.
- Regular members are highly encouraged to participate in DEI Council projects and consider chairing or participating in committees.
- Standing committees include:
- Re-envisioning and Strategic Planning Committee
- Education and Professional Development Committee
- Ad hoc committees will form to accomplish time-bound tasks, e.g. the nominations/elections committee
|Sept. 22, 9 a.m.||Nominations end|
|On or before Oct. 7||Electronic elections ballots will be distributed through respective governing organizations|
|October 2021||First meeting of the newly elected DEI Council will be held.
Elected members will collaboratively select the best day/time for monthly meetings.
The first term of elected members will be through June 2022. Thereafter, the terms will be July 1 – June 30.
- We actively seek to unite the Baltimore and Universities at Shady Grove locations with representatives from both campuses with inclusive meeting formats.
- Monthly meetings will be hybrid in-person/web-conferencing to maximize participation from both campuses and remote participants.
- The newly-forming DEI Council participates in the Shared Governance system of the School of Nursing.
- To clarify, the UMB Diversity Advisory Council (DAC) is another body that provides recommendations to the University President on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We aim to transform our School so that cultural humility and inclusivity are ingrained in every aspect of what we do.
- The DEI Council will act in a consultative role to influence leadership within UMSON regarding issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- The co-chairs of the DEI Council will participate in Governance Council and Academic and Student Affairs Council.
- Get involved! Make a difference in UMSON’s organizational culture.
What if I want to participate but I’m not elected?
- First, try to run for election and see what happens.
- Next, if not elected, get involved anyway! All are welcome!
- ANY faculty member, staff member, student, or alumni associated with the School of Nursing who expresses interest and commitment to attend and participate actively in the group may become an associate member.
- Associate members are expected to contribute their ideas, effort, and time toward the DEI Council’s functions in substantial ways through meeting attendance, email communications, and collaboration on DEI Council projects and committee work.
- Check back here later to sign-up as an associate member.