Digital Measures is a web-based application that will allow us to store and track faculty activities and accomplishments. This tool will greatly assist in reducing the time and effort spent gathering the data which we provide for the numerous (and often redundant) accreditation reviews we undergo every year. Additionally, Digital Measures will help us to conduct the annual FPPRs (Faculty Progress and Productivity Reports) and Faculty Evaluations much more efficiently.
What is Digital Measures?
- Collects and reports faculty information in an easy to use digital format:
- Service accomplishments
- Streamlines the personnel review process for:
- Annual faculty activity reports
- Promotion and tenure
- and more
- Saves faculty, staff and administration significant time and effort
- Enables universities to promote key successes to the public and external stakeholders
- Accreditation process simple and fast
We’ll be offering a few hands-on training sessions the fall 2017 semester for new faculty members and for those who’d like a review. All sessions will be conducted at the Baltimore Campus in Room 245 at the following dates and times:
- Thurs, 12 Oct, 10am-11am
- Wed, 25 Oct, 10am-11am
- Tues, 14 Nov, 1pm-2pm
- Wed, 06 Dec, 1pm-2pm
Training/refresher sessions will be organized at Shady Grove tbd. Please stay tuned for details!
What to do before you come to a Training Session:
- Make sure you can get to the Digital Measures login page and that you can successfully login.
- Select ‘Manage Activities’, and then select ‘Personal and Contact Information’ (under ‘General Information’). Make sure this information is correct. If it is not, please change what you can, and for anything you can’t change, please contact us at NRS-ActivityInsight@umaryland.edu and let us know what needs to be fixed.
- From ‘Managed Activities’, also select ‘Yearly Data’ (also under ‘General Information’), and make sure your details are correct for the current academic year. Again, is there’s something incorrect that you can’t change, please alert us by email.
|How to Begin||Instructional Videos|
What’s on Deck
The first major task you’ll likely undertake using Digital Measures is inputting data for your annual FPPR (Faculty Progress and Productivity Report).
For the FPPR, it is important to keep in mind that for the time being, we are primarily counting on you to enter your activities relevant to the CURRENT academic year (July 1 2017 – June 30 2018).
- Faculty Goals & Evaluation
Digital Measures will also be used to facilitate the annual faculty evaluation process (which does not begin until MAY). The process itself is the same as it has been in the past; Digital Measures merely provides a platform by which to gather all materials and evaluation results in one place.
Before you begin this process you should:
- Enter all FPPR items for the current academic year into Digital Measures, and create and save your FPPR as a Word document using the ‘Run Reports’ function.
- Complete each goal for the current academic year, indicating whether or not the goal met, and providing rationale where the goal was unmet. ‘Create and save your proposed goals for the following academic year (see the Faculty Goals training video for more details).
- Have an electronic copy of your updated CV handy.
Once you’ve got these three documents together, please follow these steps (see the training video as well):
- From your ‘Manage Activities’ screen in DM, select ‘Faculty Evaluation’ under the ‘Annual Goals and Evaluation’ section (bottom right hand portion of the screen).
- Create an item for the current academic year if don’t already have one.
- Paste or type your Self Evaluation summary into the text box provided. If there are items you’d like to report that didn’t fight into any of the FPPR areas, mention them here.
- Upload your completed Goals, FPPR, and CV documents.
- Fill in the boxes for the Electronic Signature and Electronic Signature Data ONLY when you are satisfied that all your documents are in order and you are ready for your supervisor to begin your evaluation. You CAN leave these areas blank if you’d like to come back and finish the evaluation section later.
- Whatever you do, SAVE your work before you exit Digital Measures!
- Workload Information
For the moment, please refrain from entering any Workload items for the 2017-2018 academic year as we’re currently reevaluating this process. Scheduled Teaching items will eventually be loaded into Digital Measures from Banner.
First and foremost, enter your activities into Digital Measures EARLY and OFTEN, especially when it comes to your FPPR data. For one thing, this is much easier than waiting to the end of the year and then having to do everything at once. But in addition to the FPPR, we’ll be using the data you’ve put into Digital Measures to produce data for accreditation, surveys, and other requests from both internal and external entities. Keeping your data as up to date will allow us to provide the most accurate information possible.
And as the majority of the data will be entered by the faculty member or designees, there is some information preloaded into the system. If something is incorrect or incomplete and you are unable to change it, please contact us. While we have done our best to ensure the accuracy of this data during the initial setup, there are bound to be a few errors here and there, so we ask that you bear with us. Thank you in advance for your patience.