Digital Measures is a web-based application that allow us to store and track faculty activities and accomplishments. This tool reduces the time and effort spent gathering data which we provide for the numerous (and often redundant) surveys and accreditation reviews we undergo every year. Additionally, Digital Measures helps us to organize and manage Workload data, and acts as a platform through which the annual FPPRs (Faculty Progress and Productivity Reports) and Faculty Evaluations can be conducted with greater efficiency.
What is Digital Measures?
- Collects and reports faculty information in an easy to use digital format:
- Service accomplishments
- Streamlines the personnel review process for:
- Annual faculty activity reports
- Promotion and tenure
- and more
- Saves faculty, staff and administration significant time and effort
- Enables universities to promote key successes to the public and external stakeholders
- Accreditation process simple and fast
We’ll be offering hands-on training sessions throughout the spring 2018 semester for new faculty members and for those who’d like a review. All sessions will be conducted at the Baltimore Campus in Room 245 at the following dates and times:
- Thurs, 22 Feb, 10am-11am
- Wed, 14 Mar, 10am-11am
- Tues, 03 Apr, 1pm-2pm
- Wed, 25 Apr, 1pm-2pm
If you’d like to attend one of our sessions, please RSVP to:
Training/refresher sessions will be organized at Shady Grove TBD. Please stay tuned for details!
What to do before you come to a Training Session:
- Make sure you can get to the Digital Measures login page and that you can successfully login - use your SURFS login ID and password (the same you use to get into MYUMB).
- Select ‘Manage Activities’, and then select ‘Personal and Contact Information’ (under ‘General Information’). Make sure this information is correct. If it is not, please change what you can, and for anything you can’t change, please contact us at NRS-ActivityInsight@umaryland.edu and let us know what needs to be fixed.
- From ‘Manage Activities’, also select ‘Yearly Data’ (also under ‘General Information’), and make sure your details are correct for the current academic year. Again, is there’s something incorrect that you can’t change, please alert us by email.
|How to Begin||Instructional Videos|
*NOTE: Each video is only 3 to 5 minutes long
What is expected of me?
The first major task you’ll likely undertake using Digital Measures is inputting data for your annual FPPR (Faculty Progress and Productivity Report).
For the FPPR, it is important to keep in mind that for the time being, we are primarily counting on you to enter your activities relevant to the current academic year (July 1 2017 – June 30 2018).
- Faculty Goals & Evaluation
Digital Measures will also be used to facilitate the annual faculty evaluation process (which does not begin until MAY). The process itself is the same as it has been in the past; Digital Measures merely provides a platform by which to gather all materials and evaluation results in one place.
Before you begin this process you should:
- Enter all FPPR items for the current academic year into Digital Measures, and create and save your FPPR as a Word document using the ‘Run Reports’ function.
- Complete each goal for the current academic year, indicating whether or not the goal met, and providing rationale where the goal was unmet. Create and save your proposed goals for the following academic year (see the Faculty Goals training video for more details).
- Have an electronic copy of your updated CV handy.
Once you’ve got these three documents together, please follow these steps (see the training video as well):
- From your ‘Manage Activities’ screen in DM, select ‘Faculty Evaluation’ under the ‘Annual Goals and Evaluation’ section (bottom right hand portion of the screen).
- Create an item for the current academic year if don’t already have one.
- Paste or type your Self Evaluation summary into the text box provided. If there are items you’d like to report that didn’t fight into any of the FPPR areas, mention them here.
- Upload your completed Goals, FPPR, and CV documents.
- Fill in the boxes for the Electronic Signature and Electronic Signature Data ONLY when you are satisfied that all your documents are in order and you are ready for your supervisor to begin your evaluation. You CAN leave these areas blank if you’d like to come back and finish the evaluation section later.
- Whatever you do, SAVE your work before you exit Digital Measures!
What’s new for the 2018 Academic Year:
We’re implementing two major changes this year, both of which are intended to eliminate redundant data entry on the part of faculty members:
- Workload Information
To the relief of all, this screen is going the way of the dodo. The screen is locked for the time being (meaning that no one can get in to make additions or changes), and soon it will disappear altogether. Workload will still be processed in Digital Measures, but it will be done at the Chair level. Once we start building workload data for the 2017-2018 academic year, you can use Faculty Workload Report to view all your workload data for the year.
- Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
Henceforth, please only enter Non-University of Maryland Affiliated activities into this screen. Any Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research that we already have a record of in Steve Peas’ office will be uploaded into its own screen. Once we’ve created the screen and have uploaded the data, you’ll be able to view the information, and the data will be pulled into FPPR and Workload reports, but you won’t be able to make any changes.
Entering Data – Best Practices
- First and foremost, please enter your activities into Digital Measures EARLY and OFTEN, especially when it comes to your FPPR data. For one thing, this is much easier than waiting to the end of the year and then having to do everything at once. But in addition to the FPPR, we’ll be using the data you’ve put into Digital Measures to produce data for accreditation, surveys, and other requests from both internal and external entities. Keeping your data as up to date will allow us to provide the most accurate information possible at a moment’s notice.
- PLEASE – where there happens to be more than one contributor among SON faculty, only enter data for Contracts, Fellowships, Grants, and Sponsored Research and Publications if you are the principal or primary investigator/author involved. This will help to reduce duplicate entries and errors.
- As the majority of the data will be entered by the faculty member or designees, there is some information preloaded into the system (Scheduled Teaching and Academic Advising). If something is incorrect or incomplete and you are unable to change it, please contact us.