Proof of Liability Coverage While a Student
Graduates and former students may need to supply proof that they were insured for professional liability (malpractice) while a student at UMSON. To obtain this verification:
- Go to the University of Maryland’s Environmental Health and Safety website.
- Follow the instructions for the Procedure for Requesting Proof of Insurance / Claims History and complete the form provided.
- Provide confirmation of your enrollment at UMSON by completing an online Request for Enrollment Verification from the Office of Records and Registration.
- Allow at least three weeks for completion of the process.
Proof of Enrollment
- Complete the Request for Enrollment Verification form
- Forward to the Office of Records and Registration
- Allow two weeks for processing
Notification Regarding Criminal Background Checks
Hospitals, clinical training sites, and state licensing boards may request a criminal background check. For more information about criminal background checks:
- University of Maryland School of Nursing Notification Regarding Criminal Background Checks And Drug Testing (PDF)
Many Maryland hospitals accept the results of a background check conducted by PreCheck/StudentCheck, a commercial firm. However, each clinical site sets its own policy and determines the approved method of obtaining a background check. For help with StudentCheck, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UMSON does not review or retain results of a criminal background check or drug screen. Results are released to clinical sites for their assessment for placement. Background checks from other agencies are not accepted for placement. Students must contact PreCheck/StudentCheck to for copies of results or questions regarding checks.
Diploma & Certification for Alumni
Graduates may submit a request for degree certification. The National Student Clearance House provides degree certification for non-graduates, including employers. Employers may contact the clearing house directly.
Course descriptions from 2010 forward are available on the Student UseR Friendly System (SURFS). For years prior to 2010, please complete the Request for Enrollment Verification Form and send to the Office of Records and Registration.
Please contact your instructor or the course coordinator for copies of the course syllabus. The Office of Records and Registration does not maintain copies of course curriculum.
Certification for Boards or Testing
- Complete the Request for Enrollment Verification Form.
- Attach any required additional forms, instructions, or other documentation to form.
- Forward to the Office of Records and Registration.
- If an official transcript is required, contact the University’s Office of the Registrar for a copy. UMSON cannot request or produce an official transcript.
- Due to the high volume of requests, please allow a minimum of four weeks for processing of board or testing verification. Individual notification of completion of materials is not sent.