How to Register
You must register for coursework each semester to maintain degree candidacy. All students receive information on registration dates and procedures each semester.
Check the Academic Calendar for advisement and registration dates.
Select your Courses
Go to the Student UseR Friendly System (SURFS).
- Click on the interactive Class Schedule. All courses (open or closed) are listed during advisement. Only logged-in students are able to see if a section is currently open or closed. A closed section is designated by a "C" following the course registration number.
- Select your courses. Scroll down to see all sections offered.
CRN: Course Registration Number, the unique identifier for each class section
01, 02, etc: a face-to-face course meeting at the Baltimore location.
SG: a face-to-face course meeting at the Universities at Shady Grove location.
WB or WO: an online course that does not meet in the classroom.
Classroom assignments are not listed in SURFS. Room assignments are sent by email the week prior to the start of the term. A list is also available at the security officer’s desk, located in the UMSON lobby, the first week of the term. Online classes are TBA for days, times, and locations. "Partial Blackboard" is listed for all face to face courses. Class meets every week unless noted in comments.
Complete the Approval to Register Form and send to your advisor.
- If you use the electronic form: Enter the CRN number(s), course number(s), and section(s) on the form and email it to your advisor as an attachment. After approval, your advisor will email it to the Office of Records and Registration.
- If you use the downloadable form: Ask your advisor to sign the form. Take the signed form to the Office of Records and Registration (Room 108), fax it to 410-706-1278, or mail it to the Office of Records and Registration, Room 108, 655 W. Lombard Street, Baltimore MD 21201.
Do not combine registrations for two semesters on one form. Use separate forms for each semester.
Wait 72 Hours
Please allow 72 hours after the Office of Records and Registration receives your approval form before you attempt to register. You will not receive a notification when your account is cleared. Please check your account for access.
To register online, go to Student UseR Friendly System (SURFS)
- Click Click Here to Sign on to SURFS.
- Follow the login instructions.
- Click Student Services and Financial Aid.
- Click Registration.
- Click Select Term and choose the desired semester.
- Click Add/Drop Classes
- Scroll down to the Add Classes section.
- Enter the CRN number(s) for your desired course(s) and section(s).
- Click Submit Changes.
- Look for your courses in the Current Schedule area.
Web registration for students ends at 5 p.m. the Friday prior to the start of a term. Any changes to a students’ schedule after the close of Web registration requires an add/drop form and must be processed by the Office of Records and Registration.
Print your Schedule
Select Student Schedule by Day and Time for a quick table format.
Select Student Detail Schedule for a more detailed version.