PC Troubleshooting & FAQs
I lost my connection and/or I received an error message while taking my exam.
- Contact your instructor immediately.
Blackboard is down.
A Web link is not working correctly (takes me to the wrong website or gives me an error message.)
I keep getting timed out when I am working on my Web-based course.
- If you are accessing your course via a dial-up modem, make sure your connection is secure by disabling your “Call-Waiting” feature.
- If you are using America Online, open up a private chat with yourself and leave on in the background as you work on your course.
I am having difficulties viewing the videos or PowerPoint presentations.
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest version of Real Player, available at http://real.com.
- If you are accessing the videos from a dial-up connection, it may take a few moments to load. Be patient. If it seems to be taking more than a minute to begin, try clicking the Refresh button on your browser.
- If none of this works, email firstname.lastname@example.org to report the error and also copy your instructor.
Announcement dates are from previous semesters.
- Note that there are certain announcements in courses that are standard and universal for all sections. While these dates may be old, they are still applicable for your semester. We are in the process of changing these dates, but note that you are in the correct class.
The new module for my course is supposed to be posted today, but I don't see it.
- Some professors prefer to post their new modules in the morning, others prefer later in the day. Be patient. If the module is more than a day or two late, and there is no announcement explaining this issue, contact the instructor or email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
I cannot attend a "face to face" orientation session.
- Narrated tours are available about your MyUM account and using Blackboard courseware.
I registered for a Web-based course and can logon to Blackboard, but my course doesn't appear. Is my name is listed on class roster?
- If you registered late or decided to add a Web-based course, you will not have immediate access to it. Contact the instructor to verify that you appear on the official class roster and for access to the Web-based course in Blackboard.
I already have an email account. Why do I need a MyUM account?
- A MyUM account provides access to a variety of online library resources, including Blackboard. You will also receive important University of Maryland messages through your MyUM Google email account.
If you need further assistance, please email: