The Coordinator for Legal Affairs negotiates and drafts contracts governing the clinical placement of UMSON’s nursing students in the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs. Clinical education sites range from large academic medical centers to physicians’ private practices. These sites are located primarily in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
Additional responsibilities of the Coordinator for Legal Affairs include:
- Drafts Professional Services Agreements for faculty consultation and practice in a variety of health care settings.
- Advises faculty on legal issues involving intellectual property, as well as issues involving potential liability in patient care situations, often working with University legal counsel and the Maryland Attorney General’s Office. Handles requests for information on student malpractice insurance and Certificates of Insurance.
- Assists the UMSON Faculty Council in processing the review and approval of faculty associates and adjunct faculty appointments and maintains a database of associates and adjuncts who work with UMSON faculty members in the education of the UMSON’s students.
- Serves as UMSON’s liaison to the University Office of Disability Services and is responsible for working with faculty members to implement approved ADA accommodations for students with documented disabilities.
- Serves as the UMSON Student Ombudsman.
- Serves on the UM Campus Review Committee, the body that hears student appeals of administrative decisions of University offices, such as determination of residency for tuition purposes.