Student PC Requirements
|Minimum Requirements||Recommended Requirements|
|Processor||Intel Core 2 Duo||Intel i3 or >|
|Memory||2 GB RAM||4 GB RAM or >|
|Hard Drive||80 GB||500 GB or >|
||Cable, FiOS or DSL||Cable, FiOS or DSL|
|Video||on-board video||64 MB card or >|
(VGA or higher resolution)
(SVGA or higher resolution)
|Sound Card||Any compatible type||Any compatible type|
|Speakers||Any compatible type||Any compatible type|
|Mouse/Keyboard||Any compatible type||Any compatible type|
|Optical Drive||CD-RW and DVD||DVD-RW|
|USB Flash Drive||2 GB||2GB or >|
|Webcam and Headset Microphone||Any compatible type||Any compatible type|
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows 7||Microsoft Windows 7 or >|
|Productivity||Microsoft Office 2007
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
|Microsoft Office 2010 or >
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
|Browser||Internet Explorer 8.0||Internet Explorer 9.0 or 10.0|
|Anti-Virus||Symantec Endpoint Protection 11||Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 or >|
|Miscellaneous||Adobe Acrobat Reader XI, Java 1.7 (7.0.x), Windows Media Player 11||Adobe Acrobat Reader XI or >, Java 1.7 (7.0.x) or >, Windows Media Player 11 or >|
|Ability to access your UM student email account via Internet|
|Laptop Wireless||PCMCIA A/B/G Card||Built-in A/B/G/N|
- The following software can be purchased at the CITS Software Licensing Office at a substantially discounted price with student ID. Prices subject to change. Check with the CITS Software Licensing Office for current prices.
- Microsoft Operating System
- Microsoft Office
- Symantec Anti-Virus
- Miscellaneous software can be downloaded:
- Nursing students can purchase a new Dell laptop computer at a discounted rate - University of Maryland School of Nursing Student Laptop Program
- UMSON recommends Windows/Intel based computers to ensure full compatibility with internal systems and applications. A Macintosh brand computer may work for some operations; however, there may be instances where a Macintosh is not compatible. Please be advised that UMSON is not able to provide assistance or support of any kind for Macintosh computers.
- The School of Nursing does not recommend or support the Microsoft Vista Operating system. Students that will use the live classroom features of Blackboard on a computer running Vista will need a minimum of 2 GB of RAM.
- Students with laptops that wish to connect to the wireless network at the Universities at Shady Grove should go to the open computer lab ED I Room 207 for answers to questions and to receive wireless network registration paperwork.
Computer Literacy Requirements
Each student is expected to have, at a minimum, computer literacy upon enrollment. Each student is required to have a computer that meets the UMSON minimum requirements. UMSON has a moderate number of computer laboratories available for student use during the posted hours of operation.
Computer literacy is defined as the essential knowledge needed to function independently with a computer. It is further defined as having basic knowledge about and the ability to operate the computer and software including word processing, e-mail, presentation packages e.g. Power Point, plus the ability to manage files, and use the Internet.
Students who do not feel they have minimum basic computer literacy are to seek out appropriate computer workshops or courses prior to starting their nursing program.