Sandra Picot, PhD, RN, FAAN
Associate Professor, OSAH
- BSN, University of Virginia
- MS, University of Virginia
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Post-Doc: Minority Investigator-Case Western Reserve University
- Anger and Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Black Female Caregivers and Noncaregivers. (Picot, S., Principal Investigator; CO-Investigators: Zuckerman, I., Wright, J.T.). Funding: Merck & Co., Inc.; Total direct costs $2000; Geriatric and Gerontology Education and Research Program Funds of University of Maryland; Total direct costs $3,695.
- Recruitment of African Americans into Caregiver Research. (Picot, S., Principal Investigator; Co-Investigators- Wykle, M., Zauszniewski, J., Wright, J., Debanne, S., Holmes, C., Herriga, S.). Funded by The Cleveland Foundation; Total Direct Costs, $41,222.
- Cardiovascular Responses of Black Female Caregivers (Administrative Supplement). (Picot, S., Principal Investigator; Co-Investigators- Wykle, M., Zauszniewski, J., Wright, J., Debanne, S., Holmes, C., Herriga, S.). Funded by National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health; Total Direct Costs, $130,190.
- Cardiovascular Responses of Black Female Caregivers. (Picot, S., Principal Investigator; Co-Investigators- Wykle, M., Zauszniewski, J., Wright, J., Debanne, S., Holmes, C., Herriga, S.). Funded by National Institute of Nursing Research; Total Direct Costs: $1,210,931. Grant No. NR04290-01.
- Good, M., Picot, B. L., Salem, S. G., Chin, C-C., Picot, S. F., & Lane, D. (2000). Cultural differences in music chosen for pain relief. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 18(3), 245-260.
- Son, G.-R., Zauszniewski, J. A., Wykle, M. L., & Picot, S. J. (2000). Translation and validation of caregiving satisfaction scale in Korean. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 22(5), 609-622.
- Picot, S., Samonte, J., & Tierney, J. & Connor, J., Powel, L.L. (2001). Effective sampling of rare population elements: Black female caregivers and noncaregivers. Research On Aging, 23 (6), 694-712.
- Young-Lewis, L., Andrews, C. M., Anderson, G. C., & Picot, S. (2001). Factors contributing to the readmission of previously healthy low risk newborns for hyperbilirubinemia [Electronic version]. Graduate Research in Nursing, 3(1). Retrieved January 11, 2007, from http://www.graduateresearch.com/Young-lewis.htm
- Picot, S. J., Tierney, J., Mirpourian, N., Ericcson, J., Wright, Jr., J. T., & Powel, L. (2002). Engaging African American elders and caregivers in urban communities in health research. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 28(2), 19-27.
- Zauszniewski, J.A., Picot, S.J.F., Debanne, S., Roberts, B.L., & Wykle, M., (2002). Psychometrics of the Depressive Cognition Scale in African American women. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 10(2), 83-95.
- Doshi, J. A., Zuckerman, I. H., Picot, S. J., Wright, J. T., & Hill-Westmoreland, E. E., (2003). Antihypertensive use and adherence among African American caregivers and noncaregivers. Applied Nursing Research, 16(4), 266-77.
- Chadiha, L. A., Morrow-Howell, N., Proctor, E. K., Picot, S. J., Gillespie, D. C., Pandey, P., & Dey, A. (2004). Involving rural older African Americans and their female informal caregivers in research. Journal of Aging and Health. Supplement to 16(5), 18S-38S.
- Hsueh, K. H., Phillips, L. R., Cheng, W., & Picot, S. J., (2005). Assessing cross-cultural equivalence through confirmatory factor analysis. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 27(6), 755-71.
- Zauszniewski, J. A., Picot, S. J., Roberts, B. L., Debanne, S. M., & Wykle, M. L. (2005). Predictors of Resourcefulness in African American Women. Journal of Aging and Health, 17(5), 609-33.
- Lee, J., Soeken, K. L., & Picot, S. J. (In press) A Meta-Analysis of Mental Health Interventions for Informal Stroke Caregivers. Western Journal of Nursing Research.
- Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A., Cook, L.M., Tsia, C., Picot, S. J. (2007). A friendly dog as potential moderator of cardiovascular response to speech in older hypertensives. Anthrozoös, 20, 51-63.
- Lee, J., Friedmann, E., Picot, S., Thomas, S., Kim, C. (2007). Korean version of the Revised Caregiving. Appraisal Scale: A translation and validation study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 59, 407-415.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Undergraduate, Graduate, and Doctoral Programs: Research, Philosophy of Science, Theory & Conceptualization, Gerontology, Context of Health Care Delivery
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, 1976-present
- Member, PI Chapter, 1999- present
- Member, Gerontological Society of America, 1993-present
- Member, Behavioral and Social Sciences Section, 1993- present
- Member, Nursing Care of Older Adults Interest Group, 1993-present
- Member, Task Force on Minority Issues in Gerontology, 1993-present
- Fellow of the Gerontological Society of America, 2007-present
- International Council of Nursing Research Network, 2003-present
- Member, American Nurses' Association, 1977-present
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 1997-present
- Expert Panel on Aging; Caregiver Research Subgroup, 1998 to present
- Member, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, American Academy of Nursing, 2000-present
- Member, National Black Nurses' Association, 1994-1995; 1997-2008
- Member, Maryland Nurses ' Association, 1999-present
Manuscript Review Panel
- Adhoc Reviewer, The Gerontologist, 1996; Spring 1997, Spring 2001, 2003-present
- Reviewer, International Journal of Nursing Practice, December 1998-present
- Reviewer, The Journal of Aging and Ethnicity, November 1998-1999
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 2001-2008
- Reviewer, Geriatric Nursing, 2006-present
- Reviewer, Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 2006-present