Robyn Gilden, PhD, RN
Assistant Professor, FCH
- PhD, Nursing Research, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2010
- Post–MS, Environmental Health Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2003
- MS, Community and Public Health Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2001
- BS, Nursing, Salisbury State University, Salisbury, MD, 1997 (Summa Cum Laude)
- 2011-2012: Principal Investigator: Analysis of Eco-Healthy Child Care Program Data. Funded by UMSON DRIF Funding.
Areas of Interest:
- Risk Communication
- Children’s Environments
- Gilden, R., Friedmann, E., Sattler, B. (2013). Pesticides in the school environment: Role for school nurses. Journal of School Nursing. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Shelley, R. & Gilden, R. (2013). Expanding our green horizons: sustainability in schools of nursing. International Journal of Human Caring. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Gilden, R., McElroy, K., Friedmann, E., Obot-Witherspoon, N. & Paul, H. (2013). Evaluation of the Children’s Environmental Health Network’s Environmental Stewardship Checklist. Journal of Environmental Health. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Gilden, R., McElroy, K., Friedmann, E., Son, H., Obot-Witherspoon, N., & Paul, H. (2013). Effectiveness of a Train-the Trainer Approach in the Children’s Environmental Health Network’s Eco-Healthy Child Care Program. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Gilden, R., Friedmann, E., Sattler, B., McPhaul, K., & Squibb, K. (2012). Potential Health Effects Related to Pesticide Use on Athletic Fields. Public Health Nursing Journal, 29(3): 198-207.
- Gilden, R. (2010). Pesticides use in hospitals: health protection, health hazards, and viable alternatives. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 34(4): 320-6.
- Gilden, R., Huffling, K., & Sattler, B. (2010). Pesticides and health risks. Journal of Obstetrical Gynecological, and Neonatal Nursing, 39: 103-10.
- Gilden, R. (2003). Community involvement at hazardous waste sites: A review of policies from a nursing perspective. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice, 4(1): 29-35.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NURS 730 Environmental Health I
- NURS 764 Advanced Environmental Health
- NURS 841 Theory and Conceptualization in Nursing Practice
- NURS 487: Senior Practicum, Community Health
- NURS 403: Community Health Clinical
- NURS 418: Environmental Health I
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2011-Present: APHA Environment Section Councilor
- 2010-Present: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee
- 2010-Present: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s PPDC’s IPM and Public Health Subcommittee
- 2003-Present: Member, Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments Research Committee
- 2001-Present: Environment Section member and Public Health Nursing Section member, American Public Health Association
- 2009-2011: Chair, Carroll County Environmental Advisory Council
- 2003-2012: Member, Carroll County Environmental Advisory Council
- 2008-2012: E-commons.org: A Web portal for nurses interested in environmental health and the home of the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments. Responsible for creative development and technical support of the site, connecting e-commons with social networking tools like Facebook and Twitter, and coordinating with a multidisciplinary team.
- 2009: Press Conference, No More Toxic Tubs
- 2004–2008: Vice-Chair, Carroll County Environmental Advisory Council
- 2002-2006: Co-Chair, Maryland Governor’s Commission on Environmental Justice and Sustainable Communities Community Health and Protection Subgroup