Robin Newhouse, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
You are here:
Professor and Chair, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-7654
Fax Number: 410-706-3769
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 2000
- MS, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1999
- MGA, University of Maryland University College, College Park, MD, 1991
- BSN, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1987
- AA, Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold, MD, 1976
- Newhouse, R.P. (co-investigator). PATient-centered Involvement in Evaluating the effectiveNess of TreatmentS (PATIENTS) Program. AHRQ (PI, Mullins). (1R24 HS22135-01), October 1, 2013-September 30, 2018.
- Newhouse, R.P . (PI). Improving Heart Failure Outcomes in Rural Hospitals (1R24 HS22135-01). AHRQ, October 1, 2013-September 30, 2014.
- Newhouse, R.P. (co-investigator). Patient-Centered Research for Outcomes, Effectiveness and Measurement (PROEM). PHARMA (PI, Perfetto). January 1, 2014- December 31, 2016.
Past Three Years
- Newhouse, R.P. Improving Heart Failure Outcomes. American Nurses Credentialing Center. March 1, 2010-June 30, 2013.
- Newhouse, R.P. Nurse-Led Intervention to improve screening and treatment for substance abuse: An RCT of hospitals. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. November 1, 2010-April 30, 2012.
- Newhouse, R.P. (Project Director) Enhancing the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program to Improve Healthcare for Underserved Populations of Maryland. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Advanced Nursing Education Grant (1 D09HP22635-01-00). July 1, 2011- June 30, 2014.
- Collins, S, Newhouse, R.P., Porter, J., Talsma, A. (2014). Effectiveness of the Surgical Safety Checklist in Correcting Errors: A Literature Review Applying Reason's Swiss Cheese Model,AORN Journal, 100(1), 65-79.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.aorn.2013.07.024.
- Lee, M.C., K., Friedmann, E., Kverno, K, Newhouse, R.P., Zhang, D., Thomas, S. (2014). Psycholgical distress among Chinese immigrants to the USA. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health, DOI: 10.1080/17542863.2014.913643. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17542863.2014.913643.
- An FR, Xiang YT, Yu L, Ding YM, Ungvari GS, Chan SW, Yu DS, Lai KY, Qi YK, Zeng JY, Wu PP, Hou ZJ, Correll CU, Newhouse R, Chiu HF. (2014). Prevalence of nurses' smoking habits in psychiatric and general hospitals in china. Arch Psychiatr Nurs, 28(2), 119-22. doi: 10.1016/j.apnu.2013.11.008.
- Barksdale, D.J., Newhouse, R., Miller, J.A. (2014). The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute: Information for Academic Nursing. Nursing Outlook, 62(3), 192-200. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2014.03.001.
- Jones, K., Newhouse, R.P., Johnson, K., Seidl, K. (2014). Achieving Quality Health Outcomes through the Implementation of a Spontaneous Awakening and Spontaneous Breathing Trial Protocol, AACN Advanced Critical Care, 25(1), 33-42.
- Qi, Y., Xiang, Y., An,E., Wang,J., Zeng, J, Ungvari, G.S., Newhouse, R., Yu, D., Lai, K., Ding, Y., Yu, L., Zhang, X., Chiu, H. (2013) Nurses’work-related stress in China: a comparison between psychiatric and general hospitals. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, doi: 10.1111/ppc.12020.
- Johantgen, M., Newhouse, R. P. (2013). Participating in a Multi-Hospital Study to Promote Adoption of Heart Failure Guidelines: Lessons Learned for Nurse Leaders. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(12), 660-666. doi:10.1097/NNA.0000000000000008.
- Harris, A.D., Pineles, L., Belton, B., Johnson, J.K., Shardell, M., Loeb, M., Newhouse, R., Dembry, L., Braun, B., Perencevich, E.N., Hall, K.K., Morgan, D.J. and the benefits of universal Glove and Gown (BUGG) Investigators. (2013). Universal Glove and Gown use and Acquisition of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria in the ICU: A Randomized Trial. JAMA, 310(15), 1571-1580. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.27815.
- Hickey, J.V., Unruh, L.R., Newhouse, R.P., Koithan, M., Johantgen, M.E., Hughes, R., Haller, K., Lundmark, V. (2013). Credentialing: The Need for a National Research Agenda. Nursing Outlook. Available online Epub ahead of print available at: http://nursingoutlook.org/inpress. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2013.10.011.
- Uys, L.R., Newhouse, R.P., Oweis, A., Liang, X.L. (2013). Descriptive survey of the contextual support for nursing research in 15 countries. Curationis, 36 (1), available athttp://curationis.org.za/index.php/curationis/article/view/126. doi:10.4102/curationis.v36i1.126
- Zeng, J.Y., An, F.R., Xiang, Y.T., Qi, Y.K., Ungvari, G.S., Newhouse, R., Yu, D.S., Lai, K.Y., Yu, L.Y., Ding, Y.M., Tang, W.K., Wu, P.P., Hou, Z.J., Chiu, H.F. (2013). Frequency and risk factors of workplace violence on psychiatric nurses and its impact on their quality of life in China.Psychiatry Research, 210(2), 510-514. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2013.06.013.
- Newhouse, R., Buckley, K., Grant, M. and Idzik, S. (2013). Reconceptualization of a Doctoral EBP Course from In Class to Blended Format: Lessons Learned from a Successful Transition. Journal of Professional Nursing, 29(4), 225-232. doi:10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.05.019
- Murphy, L., Wilson, M., Newhouse, R.P. (2013) Data Analytics: Making the Most of Input with Strategic Output. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(7-8), 367-370. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31829d60c7
- Bellamy, J., Spring, B., Mullen, E.J., Satterfield, J.M., Newhouse, R.P., Ferguson, M.J. Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Education in Social Work: A Trans-disciplinary Approach. Research on Social Work Practice, 23(4), 426-436. doi:10.1177/1049731513480528
- Stanik-Hutt, J., Newhouse, R.P., White, K.M., Johantgen, M., Bass, E.B., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L. Steinwachs, D.M., Heindel, L., Weiner, J.P. (2013). The Quality and Effectiveness of Care Provided by Nurse Practitioners. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 9(8), 492-500.e13,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2013.07.004
- Wilson, M.L., Murphy, L.S., Newhouse, R.P. (2013). Medication reconciliation across the continuum of care: a meaningful use mandated. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(6), 311-314. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182942b33
- Newhouse, R.P. (2013). Advancing Research: American Nurses Credentialing Center's Research Council Mission and Accomplishments. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(5), 243-244. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31828eeb73
- Newhouse, R.P., Dennison-Himmelfarb, C., Morlock, L., Frick, K., Pronovost, P., Liang, Y. (2013). A Cluster Randomized Trial of Rural Hospitals Testing a Quality Collaborative to Improve Heart Failure Care: Organizational Context Matters. Medical Care, 51(5):396-403, May 2013.doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318286e32e
- Newhouse, R.P., Bobay, K, Dykes, P.C., Stevens, K.R., Titler, M. (2013). Methodology Issues in Implementation Science. Medical Care, 51,S32-S40. doi: 101097/MLR.0b013e31827feeca
- Lee, M.C., Johnson, K.L., Newhouse, R.P., Warren, J.I. (2013). Evidence-based Practice Process Quality Assessment: EPQA Guidelines. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, pre-release online available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1741-6787.2012.00264.x/pdf. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-6787.2012.00264
- Murphy, L., Wilson, M., Newhouse, R.P. (2013) Improving Care Transitions Through Meaningful Use Stage 2: Continuity of Care Documents. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(2), 62-65.doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f2076
Primary Teaching Areas
- Research, Evidence-based Practice, Outcomes Measurement
- Inducted into the Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, 2014
- University of Maryland Baltimore Champion of Excellence, 2013
- Women’s Health Issues, Honorable Mention for Gibbs Prize (Johantgen et al. 2012), 2013
- Nursing Economic$/Margaret Sovie Writer’s Award (Newhouse et. 2011), 2012
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2011
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Innovations in Professional Nursing Education Award for University of Maryland School of Nursing in the category of Academic Health Centers, 2010
- University of Maryland Medical Center Nursing Excellence Award for University of Maryland School of Nursing Colleague, 2010
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Publication Award, 2009
- American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, Mary Hanna Award for Journalism, 2008
- Maryland Nurses Association Outstanding Pathfinder Award, 2007
- American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, President’s Certificate of Appreciation, 2007
- American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, President’s Certificate of Appreciation, 2006
- Sigma Theta Tau International Award for Research Utilization, 2005
- The Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-based Practice Model highlighted as best practice by The Advisory Board Company, Washington, DC, 2005
- Sigma Theta Tau Pinnacle Award for Research Utilization in Region 12, 2004
- American Nurses Foundation Scholar, 1999
- Merit Scholarship Award, University of Maryland School of Nursing, 1998
Academic & Professional Activities
- 2014: Member, Evidence Based Practice Grant Program Design Team, Sigma Theta Tau International and American Nurses Credentialing Center
- 2014-2017: Elected Member, Board of Directors, Academy Health
- 2014-2015: Member, Institute of Medicine Committee on Treatment of Cardia Arrest
- 2014: CANS Health Economics Workgroup
- 2014: National Advisor for the Clinical and Nursing Advisory Board National Center for Patient and Family Engagement for GetWellNetwork
- 2014: Co-chair, American Academy of Nursing and American Nurses Assocation Coordination of Care Task Force
- 2013-2016: National Research Mentor for Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar
- 2013-Present: Editorial Board, Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing
- 2013-Present: Chair, Methodology Committee of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- 2012-2015: Member, AcademyHealth Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award Selection Committee
- 2012-2014: Member, Institute of Medicine Standing Committee on Credentialing Research in Nursing
- 2011-Present: Member, Methodology Committee of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- 2008-Present: Member, Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2008-Present: Member, Research Council, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- 2007-Present: Member, Council on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing (CGEAN)
- 2002- Present: Member, AcademyHealth
- 1994-Present: Member, American Nurses Association
- 1994-Present: Member, American Organizaion of Nurse Executives
- 1987-Present: Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing