Meg Johantgen, PhD, RN
You are here:
Assistant Dean for the PhD Program
Associate Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-0520
Fax Number: 410-706-3289
- PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University, Health Services Research and Organizations
- MS, Nursing Administration, SUNY Buffalo
- BSN, Niagara University
- 2013-2015: Evaluator. UMB Center for the Genomics of Pain. National Institute of Nursing Research. PI: Dorsey. P30 NR0112901.
- 2013-2015: Co-investigator. Long-term care regulation: Training, leadership and quality outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff.
- 2011-2013: Co-investigator. Nursing home outcomes: Contextual and regulatory oversight of care providers. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff.
- 2011-2013: Evaluator. UMB Center for Pain Studies. National Institute of Nursing Research. PI: Dorsey. P30 NR011396-03
- 2010-2012: Co-investigator. Increasing Substance Abuse Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral, or Treatment (SBIRT) in Acute Care Hospitals. Robert Wood Johnson. PI: Newhouse.
- 2010-2012: Co-investigator. Improving Heart Failure Outcomes. American Nurses Credentialing Center, American Nurses Association. PI: Newhouse.
- 2008-2010: Co-investigator. Linking Nursing Work Environment to Patient Outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff. (September 2008-June 2010).
- 2009-2011: Co-investigator. Factors Associated with Retention of Army, Navy and Air Force Nurses. Triservice Nursing Research Program Grant, PI: Zangaro.
- 2009-2010: Co-investigator. Army Nurses’ Experiences as Faculty and Students’ Perceptions of Military Nursing. TriService Nursing, PI: Zangaro.
- 2008-2009: Co-investigator/Team leader for Certified Nurse Midwifery. An Assessment of the Safety, Quality, and Effectiveness of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses. Tri-Council for Nursing, PI: Newhouse.
- Trinkoff AM, Johantgen M, Lerner N, Storr CL, Han K, McElroy K. (2013). Regulatory oversight of Certified Nursing Assistants in relation to resident outcomes. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 3(4): 53-59.
- Dukes SF, Bridges E, Johantgen M. (2013). Occurrence of secondary insults of traumatic brain injury in patients transported by critical care air transport teams from Iraq/Afghanistan: 2003-2006. Military Medicine, 178(1): 11-17.
- Newhouse RP, White K, Stanik-Hutt J, Johantgen M. (2012). We are your health care team.Nursing Economics, 30(12):118.
- Choi J, Johantgen, ME. (2012). The importance of supervision in retention of Certified Nursing Assistants. Research in Nursing and Health, 35(2): 187-99. doi: 10.1002/nur.21461.
- Newhouse RP, Weiner, JP, Stanik-Hutt J, White KM, Johantgen ME, Steinwachs DM, Zangaro G, Aldebron J, Bass E. (August 2012). Policy implications for optimizing advanced practice registered nurse use nationally. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice, 13:81-89. Published on-line August 31, 2012. doi: 10.1177/1527154412456299.
- Breckenridge-Sproat S, Johantgen ME, Patrician P. (May 2011). Influence of unit-level staffing on medication errors and falls in military hospitals. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 34(4), 455-474. doi: 10.1177/0193945911407090.
- Johantgen ME, Fountain L, Zangaro G, Newhouse RP, Stanik-Hutt J, White KM. (2011). Comparison of labor and delivery care provided by Certified Nurse-midwives and physicians: A systematic review 1999-2008. Women’s Health Issues, 22(1), e73-381. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2011.06.005.
- Newhouse RP, Stanik-Hutt J, White KM, Johantgen ME, Bass EB, Zangaro G, Wilson RF, Fountain L, Steinwachs DM, Weiner JP. (September 2011). Advanced practice nurse outcomes 1990-2008: A systematic review. Nursing Economic$, 29:230-250.
- Trinkoff AM, Johantgen ME, Storr CL, Gurses AP, Liang Y, Han K. (April, 2011). Linking nursing work environment and patient outcomes. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 2(1), 10-16.
- Choi M, Curriero F, Johantgen M, Mills ME, Sattler B, Lipscomb J. (May, 2011). Association between ozone and emergency visits: An ecological study. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 21(3), 201-221. doi: 10.1080/09603123.2010.533366
- Lu CY, Johantgen ME. (2010). Factors association with treatment restriction orders and hospice in older nursing home residents. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20, 377-387. Doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.20120.03346.x
- Trinkoff A, Johantgen ME, Storr C, Han K, Liang Y, Gurses A, Hopkinson S. (July/August 2010). A comparison of working conditions among nurses in Magnet® and non-Magnet® hospitals. The Journal of Nursing Administration; 2010: 40(7/8), 309-315. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3181e93719
- Trinkoff A, Johantgen ME, Storr C, Han K, Liang Y, Gurses A, Liang Y, Han K. (January/February 2011). Nurses' Work Schedule Characteristics, Nurse Staffing, and Patient Mortality. Nursing Research, 60(1), 1-8. doi: 10.1097/NNR.0b013e3181fff15d
- Johantgen M. (2010). Measurement issues in using existing data. In Waltz C, Strickland O, and Lenz E. (Eds.), Measurement in nursing research, 4th edition.
- Hsieh SI, Johantgen M, Hsu L, Kuo MC, & Lu TH. (2010). Are structural characteristics of programs and hospitals associated with 100-day readmission of hematopoietic stem cell transplants in Taiwan? Bone Marrow Transplantation. doi:10.1038/bmt.2010.282.
- Chen YM, Johantgen M. Magnet Hospital attributes in European hospitals: A multilevel model of job satisfaction. International Journal of Nursing Studies; 2010: 47(8), 1001-1012.
- Sowan, AK, Gafforr MI, Soeken K, Johantgen ME, Vaidya V. Impact of computerized orders for pediatric continuous drug infusions on detecting infusion pump programming errors: A simulated study. Journal of Pediatric Nursing; 2010: 25, 108-118.
- Zangaro G, Johantgen M. Registered nurses’ job satisfaction in Navy hospitals. Military Medicine; 2009: 174(1), 76-81.
- Newhouse RP, Morlock L, Pronovost P, Colantuoni E, Johantgen M. Rural Hospital Nursing: Better Environments=Higher Shared Vision and Higher Quality and Safety Engagement. Journal of Nursing Administration; 2009: 39(4), 189-195.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Health services research design and analysis; Implementation research; Secondary data analysis
Academic & Professional Activities
University of Maryland
- 2010-Present: Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee
- 2010-Present: Doctor of Nursing Practice Implementation Task Force
- 2010-2012: Chair, PhD Curriculum Committee
- 2010-2012: Faculty Council
- 2013-Present: Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute Peer Reviewer
- 2009-Present: American Nurses Association, American Nurses Credentialing Center, Research Council
- 2008-2009: Department of Veterans Affairs, Health Services Research and Development Scientific Review and Evaluation Board, Chairperson, Chronic Disease panel