Meg Johantgen, PhD, RN
Associate Dean for the PhD Program
Associate Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-0520
Fax Number: 410-706-3289
- PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University, Health Services Research and Organizations
- MS, Nursing Administration, SUNY Buffalo
- BSN, Niagara University
- 2016-2021. Johantgen, M. E. (Principal), Trocky, N. (Supporting), Lemaire, G. (Supporting), From Nursing Student to Faculty, Sponsored by Maryland Higher Education Commission, (July 2016 - June 2021).
- Ogbolu, Y. (Principal), Reil, R. (Co-investigator), Johantgen, M. (Co-investigator), "Community Access to Resources through Enhanced Technology Application for Provider & Public (CAREAPP)," Sponsored by Howard County Health Department, University of Maryland, Baltimore, $89,997. (December 2016 - March 2019).
- 2013-2015: Co-investigator. Long-term care regulation: Training, leadership and quality outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff.
- 2011-2013: Co-investigator. Nursing home outcomes: Contextual and regulatory oversight of care providers. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff.
- 2011-2013: Evaluator. UMB Center for Pain Studies. National Institute of Nursing Research. PI: Dorsey. P30 NR011396-03
- 2010-2012: Co-investigator. Increasing Substance Abuse Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral, or Treatment (SBIRT) in Acute Care Hospitals. Robert Wood Johnson. PI: Newhouse.
- 2010-2012: Co-investigator. Improving Heart Failure Outcomes. American Nurses Credentialing Center, American Nurses Association. PI: Newhouse.
- Weiss ME, Bobay KL, Johantgen M, Shirey MR. Aligning evidence-based practice with translational research. Journal of Nursing Administration. 2018; 48(9): 425-431.
- Newhouse RP, Byon HD, Storkman E, Johantgen M. Multisite studies demonstrate positive relationship between practice environments and social cessation counseling evidence-based practices. Worldviews on evidence-based nursing, 2018; 15(3): 217-224.
- Liu W, Johantgen M, Newhouse R. Psychometric Testing of the Smoking Cessation Counseling Scale Among Magnet® Hospital Nurses. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2017; 40(4): 562-581.
- Yang, B. K., Trinkoff, A. M., Zito, J. M., Burcu, M., Safer, D. J., Johantgen, M E., Idzik, S. K. Nurse Practitioner Independent Practice Authority and Mental Health Service Delivery in U.S. Community Health Centers. Psychiatric Services. 2017; 68(10: 1032-1038.
- Griffioen MA, Greenspan JD, Johantgen M, Von Rueden K, O'Toole RV, Dorsey SG, Renn CL. Quantitative Sensory Testing and Current Perception Threshold Testing in Patients With Chronic Pain Following Lower Extremity Fracture. Biological research for nursing. 2018; 20(1):16-24.
- Griffith KA, Zhu S, Johantgen M, Kessler MD, Renn C, Beutler AS, Kanwar R, Ambulos N, Cavaletti G, Bruna J, Briani C, Argyriou AA, Kalofonos HP, Yerges-Armstrong LM, Dorsey SG. Oxaliplatin-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy and Identification of Unique Severity Groups in Colorectal Cancer. Journal of pain and symptom management. 2017; 54(5):701-706.e1.
- Griffioen M, Greenspan J, Johantgen M, Rueden KV, O’Toole R, Dorsey S, et al. (437) Comparison of quantitative sensory testing and current perception threshold testing results in patients with chronic pain following lower extremity fracture and healthy controls. The Journal of Pain. 2017; 18(4).
- Kim HJ, Yang GS, Greenspan JD, Downton KD, Griffith KA, Renn CL, Johantgen M, et al. Racial and ethnic differences in experimental pain sensitivity. Pain. 2017; 158(2):194–211.
- Park J, Moser DK, Griffith K, Harring JR, Johantgen M. Exploring Symptom Clusters in People With Heart Failure. Clinical nursing research. 2017;
- Park J, Johantgen ME. A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Symptom Reporting and Symptom Clusters in Heart Failure. Journal of transcultural nursing: official journal of the Transcultural Nursing Society. 2017; 28(4):372-380.
- Newhouse RP, Johantgen M, Thomas SA, Trocky NM, Dennison-Himmelfarb C, Cheon J, et al. Engaging patients with heart failure into the design of health system interventions: Impact on research methods. Geriatric Nursing. 2017; 38(4): 342-346.
- Johantgen M, Weiss M, Lundmark V, Newhouse R, Haller K, Unruh L, et al. Building Research Infrastructure in Magnet® Hospitals. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2017; 47(4):198–204.
- Griffioen MA, Greenspan JD, Johantgen M, Rueden KV, Otoole RV, Dorsey SG, et al. Acute Pain Characteristics in Patients with and without Chronic Pain following Lower Extremity Injury. Pain Management Nursing. 2017; 18(1):33–41.
- Liu W, Johantgen M, Newhouse R. Shared Vision Among Acute Care Magnet® Hospital Nurses. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2016; 39(2):305–18.
- Thom KA, Heil EL, Croft LD, Duffy A, Morgan DJ, Johantgen M. Advancing interprofessional patient safety education for medical, nursing, and pharmacy learners during clinical rotations. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2016; 30(6):819–22.
- Musallam E, Johantgen M, Connerney I. Hospital Disease-Specific Care Certification Programs and Quality of Care: A Narrative Review. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety.2016; 42(8):364–8.
- Griffioen MA, Johantgen M, Rueden KV, Greenspan JD, Dorsey SG, Renn CL. Characteristics of Patients with Lower Extremity Trauma with Improved and Not Improved Pain During Hospitalization: A Pilot Study. Pain Management Nursing. 2016; 17(1):3–13.
- Ogbolu Y, Johantgen ME, Zhu S, Johnson JV. Nurse reported patient safety in low-resource settings: a cross-sectional study of MNCH nurses in Nigeria. Applied Nursing Research. 2015; 28(4):341–6.
- Trinkoff AM, Lerner NB, Storr CL, Han K, Johantgen ME, Gartrell K. Leadership education, certification, and resident outcomes in US nursing homes. International Journal of Nursing Studies; 2015; 52(1): 334-344.
- Lerner NB, Johantgen M, Trinkoff AM, Storr CL, Han K. Are nursing home survey deficiencies higher in facilities with greater staff turnover? Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 2014; 15(2): 102-107.
- Regan M, McElroy K, Chung S, Heetderks E, Friedmann E, Johantgen M. Place, provider and timing Factors influencing the overuse of cesarean in low-risk primigravid women. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 2014; 4(10).
- Griffith KA, Couture DJ, Zhu S, Pandya N, Johantgen ME, Cavaletti G, et al. Evaluation of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy using current perception threshold and clinical evaluations. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2013; 22(5):1161–9.
- Han K, Trinkoff AM, Storr CL, Lerner N, Johantgen M, Gartrell K. Associations between state regulations, training length, perceived quality and job satisfaction among certified nursing assistants: Cross-sectional secondary data analysis. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2014; 51(8):1135–41.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Health services research, research methods/design and statistical analysis; Implementation research; Administrative data analysis
Academic & Professional Activities
University of Maryland, Baltimore
- 2018-present: Education, Accreditation, and Assessment Committee, UMSON Representative
- 2014-2018: Graduate Council, UMSON Representative
- 2016-Present: Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Health Statistics
- 2009-2018: American Nurses Association, American Nurses Credentialing Center, Research Council (Chair - 2016-2018)