Lily Fountain, PhD, RN, CNM
Phone Number: 410-706-1763
Fax Number: 410-706-0253
- PhD, Educational Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 2016, "Relations Among Topic Knowledge, Individual Interest, and Relational Reasoning, and Critical Thinking in Maternity Nursing"
- MS, Nurse-Midwifery, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, 1995
- BSN, Nursing, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD, 1991
- AA, Nursing, Montgomery College, Takoma Park, MD, 1989
- BA, Government & Politics, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1977
- Nurse Educator Doctoral Grant (Principal Investigator). Maryland Higher Education Commission, April 2013-June 2015 ($20,000)
- National Worksite Breastfeeding Support for Employers of Overtime Eligible Employees: Innovative Strategies for Success for Maryland Breastfeeding Coalition (Co-Principal Investigator). U.S. Office of Women’s Health, January-May 2012 ($2,500)
- Back to School and Breastfeeding Campus Registration System (Co-Principal Investigator). Health and Human Services mini-grant to UMB Wellness Center, 2011 ($500)
- An Assessment of the Safety, Quality, and Effectiveness of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses (Team Member). Systematic review funded by Tricouncil of Nurses, 2008-2009 (5% effort)
- Nurse-Midwifery Training Grant(Faculty), Health Resources and Services Administration, 2000-2003 (20% effort)
- Genetics Interdisciplinary Faculty Training for University of Maryland (Co-Principal Investigator). Health Resources and Services Administration, 2002-2004 ($7,000)
- Effects of a Teaching Decision Tree on Student Performance, Satisfaction, and Situational Interest. Dean’s Teaching Scholar Grant, University of Maryland Baltimore School of Nursing, 2013-2014 ($5000); with Co-Investigators Nina Trocky and Lynn Chen
- Conference Registration Grant, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Maryland, College Park, College of Education, DC Lilly Teaching and Learning Conference, 2013
- Travel Grant, Office of International Initiatives, University of Maryland, College Park, College of Education, American Educational Research Association annual meeting, 2012 ($750)
- Development of Expertise in Nursing Students (Principal Investigator). Dean’s Teaching Scholar Grant, University of Maryland Baltimore School of Nursing, 2008-2009 ($5000)
- Integrating the Maternity Simulator into Undergraduate and Graduate Nursing Education (Principal Investigator), University of Maryland Baltimore School of Nursing, 2003-2004
- Fountain, L. (2016). Thinking critically about the quality of critical thinking definitions and measures. In P. Wimmers & M. Mentkowski (Eds.), Assessing competence in professional performance across disciplines and professions. New York: Springer.
- Lapidus, B. & Fountain, L. (2015). Improving Maryland perinatal outcomes through nurses’ promotion of hydrotherapy during labor. Maryland Nurse Newsletter and Journal, Summer.
- Stanik-Hutt, J., Newhouse, R. P., White, K. M., Johantgen, M., Bass, E. B., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L., Steinwachs, D. M., Heindel, L., & Weiner, J. P. (2013). The quality and effectiveness of care provided by nurse practitioners. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(8), 492-500.
- Johantgen, M., Fountain, L., Zangaro, G., Newhouse, R., Stanik-Hutt, J., & White, K. (2012). Comparison of labor and delivery care provided by certified nurse-midwives and physicians: A systematic review 1990-2008. Women’s Health Issues, 22, e73-e81. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2011.06.005
- Newhouse, R., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, K., Johantgen, M., Bass, E. B., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L., Steinwachs, D. M., Heindel, L., & Weiner, J. P. (2011). Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) outcomes 1990-2008: A systematic review. Medical Economics, 29, 230-251. Retrieved from http://www.nursingeconomics.net/ce/2013/article3001021.pdf
- Fountain, L., Bascietto, P., Philipsen, N., Campbell, J., & Solaiman, A. (2008). The nurse’s role in promoting or undermining breastfeeding. The Maryland Nurse. http://nursingald.com/articles/11467-at-the-105th-convention?query=promoting or undermining breastfeeding&s=76
- Fountain, L. (2007). Assessment of the pregnant female. In D. D’Amico & C. Barbarito (Eds.), Health and physical assessment in nursing (pp. 821-873). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Allen, L. & Fountain, L. (2007). Addressing sexuality and pregnancy in childbirth education. Journal of Perinatal Education, 16, 32-36. doi: 10.1624/105812407X171076
- Fountain, L. (2006). “OB Boot Camp”: Maternity simulators in clinical education. Journal of Nursing Education, 45, 287.
- Fountain, L. (2011-present). Birth and baby news (twitter feed about maternal, newborn, and women’s health issues for maternal-newborn health professionals). Available at https://twitter.com/birthnbabynews
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 452: RN-to-BSN Research and Evidence-Based Practice, Instructor
- NURS 316/320: Science and Research in Nursing Practice, Instructor
- NURS 523: CNL Practicum, Instructor, Women’s Health Section
- NURS 487: Clinical Senior Practicum, Course Director and Instructor, Women’s Health Section
- NURS 407: Maternal, Newborn, & Women’s Health, Course Director and Clinical Instructor
- NURS 659: Professional Roles for Advanced Practice Nurses, Instructor, Online Section
- Family Nurse Practitioner and Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Programs Guest Lecturer on birth, breastfeeding, and women’s health issues
- NURS 780: Professional Issues in Nurse-Midwifery, Co-Course Director, Instructor
- NURS 779: Antepartal Midwifery, Instructor
Academic & Professional Activities
- 2013-Present: Founding Member, UMB Lactation Committee
- 2012-2013: Legislative Committee Chair, Maryland Breastfeeding Coalition
- 2011-2013: Member, School of Nursing Technology and Simulation Advisory Committe
- 2010-Present: Member, School of Nursing Curriculum Revision Task Force
- 2010-2012: Web Director, Board of Directors, Maryland Breastfeeding Coalition
- 2008-2013: Member, School of Nursing Entry-Level Curriculum Committee