Karen Wickersham, PhD, RN
Assistant Professor, PTSS
Phone Number: 410-706-5119
Fax Number: 410-706-5427
- Postdoctoral Training, University of Maryland, Baltimore (2012-present)
- PhD, University of Pittsburgh (2012)
- MSN (Nursing Education), University of Pittsburgh (2011)
- BSN, University of Virginia (1991)
- Wickersham, KE (MPI). Innovative Use of Health IT to Engage Cancer Survivors in their Care Management (Nahm/Wickersham/Miller, MPIs, Sigma Theta Tau International, Pi Chapter, 9/1/17—8/31/18).
- Wickersham, KE (PI). Targeted Therapy Use in Adults with Cancer Older than 85 Years of Age (Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, 10/1/15—9/30/17).
- Wickersham, KE (PI). Genetic, Clinical, and Biological Correlates of EGFR Inhibitor-related Rash (NINR F32NR011261, 12/1/13 – 11/30/16).
- Wickersham, KE (PI). Transcriptional Expression Profiles of Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Taking Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors (American Nurses Foundation, 9/1/14 – 8/31/15).
- Wickersham, KE (PI). Transcription Expression Profiles of Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Taking Oral Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitors (UMB School of Nursing, Center of Biology and Behavior Across the Lifespan Fall 2013 DRIF Award, 11/15/13 - 11/31/16).
- *Wickersham, K. E., Sereika, S. M., Kang, H.-J., Tamres, L. K., & Erlen, J. A. Use of a self-report medication adherence scale for measuring adherence to antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV/AIDS. Accepted July 31, 2017, Journal of Nursing Measurement.
- Gilbertson-White, S., Bohr, N., & Wickersham, K. E. (2017). Conducting biobehavioral research for patients with advanced cancer: recruitment challenges and solutions. Biological Research Nursing, 19(5), 481-490. DOI: 10.1177/1099800417709529
- *Wickersham, K. E., Happ, M. B., Bender, C. M., Engberg, S. J., Tarhini, A., & Erlen, J. A. (2014). Surviving with lung cancer: medication-taking and oral targeted therapy. Geriatric Nursing, 35(2), S49-S56. DOI: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2014.02.020. PMC3988629.
- *Wickersham, K., Sereika, S. M., & Bender, C. M. (2013). Pretreatment predictors of short-term nonadherence to oral hormonal therapy for women with breast cancer. Nursing Research, 62(4), 243-251. DOI: 10.1097/NNR.0b013e318298fd70. PMC3723138.
- Geynisman, D. M. & Wickersham, K. E. (2013).Adherence to targeted oral anticancer medications. Discovery Medicine, 15(83), 231-241.
- *Wickersham, K., Happ, M. B., & Bender, C. M. (2012). “Keeping the boogie man away”: Medication self-management among women receiving anastrozole therapy. Nursing Research and Practice, 2012, 462121. DOI: 10.1155/2012/462121. PMC3543807.
- *Wickersham, K., Colbert, A., Caruthers, D., Tamres, L., Martino, A., & Erlen, J. A. (2011). Assessing fidelity to an intervention in a randomized controlled trial to improve medication adherence. Nursing Research, 60(4), 264-269. DOI: 10.1097/NNR.0b013e318221b6e6. PMC3138209.
- *DiPaola, R.S., Rinehart, J., Nemunaitis, J., Ebbinghause, S., Rubin, E., Capanna, T., Ciardella, M., Doyle-Lindrud, S., Goodwin, S., Fontaine, M., Adams, N., Williams, A., Schwartz, M., Winchell, G., Wickersham, K., Deutsch, P., & Yao, S. -L. (2002). Characterization of a novel prostate-specific antigen-activated peptide-doxorubicin conjugate in patients with prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 20, 1874-1879. DOI: 10.1200/JCO.2002.07.001
Primary Teaching Areas
- NURS 316
- NURS 319 (lab)
- NRSG 785
Academic & Professional Activities
- 2017-Present: Maryland Cancer Coalition (UMGCCC Institutional representative)
- 2016-Present: University of Maryland Marlene and Stuart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center, Clinical Research Committee (Ad hoc member)
- 2016-Present: University of Maryland Marlene and Stuart Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center, Program in Oncology (Population Science; Associate Member)
- 2016-Present: University of Maryland, Baltimore Graduate Faculty (Associate Member)
- 2016-Present: Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer
- 2016-Present: International Association of Nurses in Genetics
- 2015-Present: University of Maryland Center to Advance Chronic Pain Research (center member)
- 2012-Present: University of Maryland, Baltimore, School of Nursing Center for Biology and Behavior across the Lifespan (research center member)
- 2014-Present: Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
- 2011-Present: American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2009-Present: Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society
- 1987-Present: Oncology Nursing Society