Joseph Pellegrini, PhD, CRNA
You are here:
Associate Professor, OSAH
Director, Nurse Anesthetist Program
Phone Number: 410-706-1995
- PhD, Nursing, Rush University
- DNP, Rush University
- MS, Nursing, Rush University
- BS, Nurse Anesthesia, The George Washington University
- BS, Nursing, Montana State University
- Comparison of videolaryngsocopy to conventional laryngoscopy for emergency intubatin for non-anesthesia providers
- Glidescope training and use in the field by EMS personnel in cardiac arrest patients
- Use of dexametoditdine in bariatric surgery patients
- Treatment modalities to offset spinal-induced hypotension in the parturient population undergoing cesarean section under spinal anesthesia
- Optimal oxygen concentions to use during major abdominal surgery to prevent bowel ischemia and increase in free radicals
- Use of local anesthestic infusions to offset the incidence of postoperative illeus in patients undergoing minor and major abdominal surgery
- Use of non-traditional methods to prevent and treat postoperative nausea and vomiting
- Employment of evidenced-based practice models to formulate state of the art clinical practice guidelines
- Wallace JB, Andrade JA, Christensen JP, Osborne LA, Pellegrini, JE.(2012). Comparison of fascial iliaca compartment block and 3-in-1 block in adults undergoing knee arthroscopy and meniscal repair. AANA J 80 (4)” S37-S44.
- Grady P, Clark N, Lenahan N, Oudekerk C, Hawkins R, Nezat G, Pellegrini JE. (2012). Effect of intraoperative intravenous lidocaine on postoperative pain and return of bowel function after laparoscopic abdominal gynecologic surgery. AANA J 80(4): 282-88.
- Brown E, Oswald K, Pellegrini, JE. (2012). Dexmedetomidine in bariatric surgery: A usefulo opioid adjunct? An evidenced-based review. Bariatric Nurs Surg Patient Care 7(2):
- Williams M, Dodson T, Banek R, Osborne L, Pellegrini, JE. (2011). Effect of epidural normal saline bolus prior to catheter removal on parturient sensory and motor function recovery: A pilot study. AANA J 79 (4): 305-16.
- Radford, KD, Fuller TN, Bushey B, Pellegrini JE. (2011). Prophylactic isopropyl alcohol inhalation and intravenous ondansetron verus ondansetron alone in the prevention of PONV in high-risk patients. AANA J 79 (4): S69-74.
- Bopp EF, Estrada JL, Kilday JM, Spradling JC, Daniel C, Pellegrini JE. (2010). Biphasic dosing regimen of meclizine for prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting in a high risk population. AANA J 78 (1): 55-62.
- Pellegrini JE, Deloge J, Bennett J, Kelly J. (2009). Comparison of inhalation of isopropyl alchohol vs promethazine in the treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) in patients identified as high risk for developing PONV. AANA J (4): 223-230.
- Jansen TK, Miller BE, Arretche N, Pellegrini JE. (2009). Will the addition of a sciatic nerve block to a femoral nerve block provide better pain control following ACL repair? AANA J 77 (3): 213-218.
- Jenkins HH, Spencer ED, Weissgerber AJ, Osborne LA, Pellegrini JE. (2009). Correlating an 11-point verbal numeric rating scale in the measurment of pruritis. J Perianesth Nurs 24 (3): 152-155.
- Williamson W, Burks D, Pipkin J, Burkard J, Osborne L, Pellegrini JE. (2009). Effect of timing of fluid bolus on reduction of spinal-induced hypotension in patients undergoing elective cesarean section. AANA J 77(2): 130-36.
- Pearson JA, Fallacaro MD, Pellegrini JE. (2009). Perceived deprivation in active duty military nurse anesthetists. AANA J 77 (1): 42-48.
- Crerar C, Weldon E, Kelly J, Pellegrini JE. (2008). Comparison of two laryngeal tracheal anesthesia techniques in reducing emergence phenomenom. AANA J 76 (6): 425-431.
- Rivera J, Villecco D, Dehner B, Burkard J, Osborne L, Pellegrini JE. (2008). The efficacy of ketorolac as an adjunct to the bier block for controlling postoperative pain following nontraumatic hand and wrist surgery. AANA J 76 (5): 341-345.
- Forrester C, Benefield A, Matern C, Kelly J, Pellegrini JE. (2007). Meclizine in combination with ondansetron for the prevention of PONV in a high risk population. AANA J 74 (6): 27-33
- Cotton JW, Rowell LR, Hood RR, Pellegrini JE. (2007). A comparative analysis of isopropyl alcohol and ondansetron in the treatment of PONV: from the hospital to home. AANA J 74 (6):21-26.
- Pellegrini JE. (2007). Using Evidenced-Based Practice in Nurse Anesthesia Curriculums. AANA J. 74(4): 269-273
- Jones S, Strobl R, Crosby D, Burkard JF, Maye J, Pellegrini JE. (2006). The effect of transdermal scopolamine on the incidence and severity of PONV in a group of high risk patients given prophylactic ondansetron. AANA J. 74(2): 127-132.
- DeWees J, Schultz C, Wilkerson K, Biegner A, Kelly J, Pellegrini JE. (2006). Comparison of two approaches to brachial plexus anesthesia: Intersternocleidomastoid and Interscalene. Accepted for publication AANA J. 74(3): 201-06.
- Wofford K, Kase S, Moore J, Kelly JA, Pellegrini JE. (2005). The effect of bevel orientation on spinal anesthesia outcomes. AANA J, 73 (1): 8-14.
- Stewart DJ, Lambert EW, Pellegrini JE, Stack KM, , Unger DV, Hood RJ. (2005). The effect of Inaarticular Methadone on Post-operative pain following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Am,.87: 140-144
- Polley RI, Cline E, Franz D, Burkhard JE, Maye JP, Pellegrini JE. (2004). Effectiveness and duration of 0.5% Levobupivacaine compared to 0.5% Ropivacaine in patients having an axillary brachial plexus block. AANA J, 72 (5): 6-10.
- Courture D, Cunniff H, Burkhard JE, Maye JP, Pellegrini JE. (2004). Effect of adding clonidine to a bupivacaine femerol-sciatic block in the ACL patient. AANA J: 72(4): 1-5.
- English LA, Holmes JM, Burkard JF, Vacchiano CA, Shin A, Pellegrini JE, Maye JM. (2004). Effect of Needle Size on Success of Transarterial Axillary Block. AANA J: 72(1): 57-60
- Coolong K, Pellegrini JE, McGough E. (2003). Comparison of the Effects of Propofol versus Thiopental Induction on Postoperative Outcomes following Surgical Procedures of Greater than Two Hours Duration.AANA: 71(3)
- Winston AW, Rinehart RS, Riley GP, Vacchiano C, Pellegrini JE. (2003). Comparison of inhaled isopropyl alcohol and intravenous ondansetron for treatment of postoperative nausea. AANA J. 71 (2): 1-6.
- Todd, GL, John A, Vacchiano C, Pellegrini JE. (2002). Dermal Anesthesia with a Combination of Lidocaine and Ketorolac for Reduction of Post-epidural Backache. Int J Obste Anes 11(2): 100-104.
- Jones T, Hand WR, Ports MD, Unger DV, Hebert D, Pellegrini JE. (2002). An evaluation of the Histolocal Effect of Intraarticular Methadone in the Canine Model – AANA J. 71(1): 51-54.
- Gibbs R, Movinsky BA, Pellegrini JE. (2002). The morphine sparing effect of metoclopramide on postoperative laparoscopic tubal ligation patients. AANA. 70(1): 27-32.
- Pellegrini JE, Bailey S, Shott S, Faut-Callahan M. (2001). The impact of nalmefene on side effects from intrathecal morphine at cesarean section. AANA J. 69(3): 199-205.
- Pellegrini JE, Baker AB, Fontenot DJ, Cardenas, AF. (2000). The effect of Oral Pyridostigmine Bromide Nerve Agent Prophylaxis on Return of Twitch Height in Persons receiving Succinylcholine. Military Medicine 165 (4): 252-56.
- Brow CS, Garcia JI, Pellegrini JE. (2000). Comparison of the length of stage II labor and incidence of forceps and cesarean delivery after epidural infusion of 0.125% bupivacaine with 2 ug/ml fentanyl as compared with 0.0625% bupivacaine with 2ug/ml fentanyl. CRNA: The Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists,11, (2): 51-56.
- Pellegrini JE, Faut-Callahan M, Paice J.(1999). Meperidine Utilization and compliance with AHCPR guidelines in a tertiary care hospital. CRNA : The Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists 10 (4): 174-80.
- Pellegrini JE. Guest Editor- CRNA : The Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists : Sept 1999 issue
- Pellegrini, JE. The impact of nalmefene on side effects from intrathecal morphine at cesarean section. Doctoral Dissertation; December 1998. Copyright.1998.
- Pellegrini JE. (1998). Intrathecal opioids for the control of pain experienced during labor and in the post-cesarean section period. CRNA : The Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists 9 (3):99-105.
- Pellegrini JE. (1997). Intrathecal opioids plus Bupivacaine: An option to prolong analgesic efficacy when using the combined spinal-epidural technique. AANA J. 65 (6): 552-556.
- Pellegrini JE. (1996). Spinal Analgesia and anesthesia in obstetrics. CRNA The Clinical Forum for Nurse Anesthetists: 9(3):
- Pellegrini JE. (1996). Meperidine Utilization and compliance with AHCPR Guidelines in large Midwestern Tertiary Care Centers. Doctoral Thesis; May 1996. Copyrighted 1996.
- Pellegrini JE. Epidural Anesthesia & Analgesia. In: M. Kerlett (ED). Nurse Anesthesia Secrets. Mosby, St. Louis. 2003.
- Pellegrini JE, Olson RL, Movinsky BM. Epidural and Spinal Anesthesia. 3rd edition In JJ Nagelhout (ED). Nurse Anesthesia. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia. 2013
Primary Teaching Areas
- NDNP 811 (DNP)
- NDNP 813 (DNP)
- NPHY 620 (Pathophysiology)
- NURS 613 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 615 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 642 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 657 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 672 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 675 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
- NURS 676 (Nurse Anesthesia Program)
Academic & Professional Activities
- Member – University of Maryland Institutional Review Board
- Member – Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Institutional Review Board
- Journal Reviewer- AANA Journal
- Member Peer Advisory – Maryland State Board of Nursing
- Member Sedation Procedural Committee – Maryland State Board of Nursing
- Grant Reviewer – AANA Foundation
- Grant Reviewer – Tri-Service Nursing Research Program